jklowan

Re: Bryston SP3 4K passthru
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2018, 11:00 am »
Thanks.  Did you need a new rear panel?

no new back panel

jklowan

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:41 pm »
Well, I got word today that they did not find anything wrong with my unit and it is on the way back, will report findings when I get it back, again still hoping for the best.

jklowan

« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2018, 12:27 am »
So it came back, connected it tonight and it now works, I'll spend some time with it this weekend and calibrate it. I am not getting a video signal through the hdmi 5 port for apple TV. I am running a 55 ft hdmi to the tv and it may not pass a deep color signal, gotta dig more, as that menu came up the apple tv set it but then says it gets no signal, wierd. but I have sound and picture on the cable and dvd so I can work with this.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2018, 12:18 pm »
Whoa! 55 feet? I'm not certain that's within the HDMI specs. Seems awfully long.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2018, 03:36 pm »
Whoa! 55 feet? I'm not certain that's within the HDMI specs. Seems awfully long.

There is no specified HDMI cable length, only that to be compliant a cable used for 4K UHD video should be able to transmit at 340MHz.

HDMI.org lists 10m/33ft as a "typical" length before an active repeater or transmission over Ethernet, Coax or Optical cable could possibly be needed.

There are certainly many installations using 50 ft runs of compliant copper HDMI cable that work between many combinations of connected equipment, but certainly not all, and there is a very good chance the cable length in this particular scenario is the problem.

Steve

jklowan

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2018, 06:36 pm »
I get signal from my cable box and I get a signal from the dvd but not the apple tv just seems strange to me. Any suggestions on other SP3 users

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2018, 08:11 pm »
It could still be cable length. Perhaps the Apple TV can't supply a signal at that length.

jklowan

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2018, 08:19 pm »
The cable from the apple tv to the sp3 is only 3ft, the 55 ft hdmi is from the sp3 to the tv

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:46 am »
To reiterate srb's comment, for longer HDMI cable runs it may work but you may also want to consider using an HDMI repeater or something like an 18Gbps RedMere or DynamicView HDMI cable which comes with a built-in signal amplification chip. However, I'm still not sure those cables would support 18Gbps at 55 feet.

It is possible the 4K Apple TV requires 18Gbps while your cable box does not, and the OPPO UDP-205 Blu-ray player will adjust its output to match the display capabilities. Which could be why they work and the 4K Apple TV does not. When you passed the 4K Apple TV through the OPPO UDP-205, the OPPO may have been changing the signal to match the display capabilities advertised in your display's EDID. The Xbox One S/X is another device that wants 18Gbps to provide 4K HDR as it runs its UI at 60fps.

Also, your display needs to support an 18Gbps HDMI signal. I think almost all TVs will, but many projectors will not.

jklowan

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2018, 12:17 pm »
So I spent a few hours with it last night. Got it to work, so happy. I'll restart this, the product sounds fantastic, the manual sucks. There really should be some kind of set-up breakdown (screen by screen), even if it was online. I lowered the deep color value from 600 to 100, turned the preset so that hdmi 1 & 2 are always on and I skipped the deep color set-up on the Apple TV. Currently working, listened to various material for about 4 hours last night and damn I've missed you so. I am almost in bliss once again. This has been one of the more problematic system upgrades ever and I am almost there. In the switch something apparently happened to the center powerpoint which will be going in for repair Monday (a contractor screwed into the speaker cable, which had to be replaced but speaker still isn't working). But the sound I'm now getting is almost other worldy. So happy {{{{{BRYSTON}}}}} and there customer support is second to none. I now need to fine tune the TV set-up. This system sounds super detailed so much more resolution on inner detail and about as uncolored sound as I have heard in my home. I was hoping that the Oppo would sound as good as the bcd on redbook so I could get rid of one piece but I'm keeping the bryston it's still much better sounding to my ears, I could live with the Oppo but I'm glad I don't have to.

Current system:

Bryston SP3 - which replaced a SP 1.7 & SPV-1 in November
BlueJean cable hdmi 55ft to TV
Bryston BCD1
BlueJean balanced cable and better cable silver digital cable
Bryston 9BSST
Bryston balanced cables
OPPO UDP-205
currently Audioquest  Diamondback/King cobra RCA's & BlueJean balanced cables,
switching to BlueJean RCA's as the audioquest are really loose on my Oppo - soon to be selling the Audioquest
BlueJean cable hdmi 3ft
APPLE TV 4K
BlueJean cable hdmi 3ft
Sony XBR 900E 55" TV
THIEL 2.4 FRONTS
Audioquest slate speaker wire 55ft
THIEL POWERPOINT 1.2 Center & Rears
audioquest type 4 speaker cable 55ft
JL AUDIO Fathom® f112v2
bluejean cable balanced cable 55ft
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2018, 01:24 pm by jklowan »

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2018, 07:14 pm »
Glad you got it worked out, and thank you so much for posting what worked. It certainly helps others when they run across a similar problem.

dminches

« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2018, 07:20 pm »
I am taking good notes since my unit is on its way to Bryston.  On AVSForum there is a good thread regarding HDMI cables suitable for 4K.

jklowan

« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2018, 07:54 pm »
So of course nothing is easy. I took down the center channel and I get sound when I connect that speaker to another system. I get no sound in this system.Trying to figure how to trouble shoot my issue. The amp has all channel lights green indicating they are operating fine. I tried swapping the center channel balanced cable from the amp to the sp3, that didn't work. Ensured that the cable is properly connected to speaker and amp, that is correct )red to red & black to black).

Can I just swap the input balanced cables from the left front/center on the SP3 which works to the center to see if I get sound in the center channel and if that doesn't work it is amp related, correct? this is so frustrating, need a break

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2018, 08:19 pm »
So of course nothing is easy. I took down the center channel and I get sound when I connect that speaker to another system. I get no sound in this system.Trying to figure how to trouble shoot my issue. The amp has all channel lights green indicating they are operating fine. I tried swapping the center channel balanced cable from the amp to the sp3, that didn't work. Ensured that the cable is properly connected to speaker and amp, that is correct )red to red & black to black).

Can I just swap the input balanced cables from the left front/center on the SP3 which works to the center to see if I get sound in the center channel and if that doesn't work it is amp related, correct? this is so frustrating, need a break

Yes you can do that and if you get sound it has to be the Center channel has an issue.  I assume you have told the processor in the Menu on that source that there is a Center present?

james

jklowan

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2018, 08:59 pm »
Thanks James, I will investigate further, on another day. I will check by switching balanced outputs, then swap speaker wire as it is new and maybe it has a bad termination on a spade. I am at a loss but will do this when I'm fresh.

Could there be a problem with the center balanced input on the SP3 not passing a signal?

Everything looked good when I checked earlier.

At least the hdmi board upgrade is working fine now :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2018, 09:01 pm »
Thanks James, I will investigate further, on another day. I will check by switching balanced outputs, then swap speaker wire as it is new and maybe it has a bad termination on a spade. I am at a loss but will do this when I'm fresh.

Could there be a problem with the center balanced output no passing a signal? Everything looked good when I checked earlier. At least the hdmi board upgrade is working fine now :)

It could be the balanced out. If you can try the RCA center and see if that works. 

jklowan

« Reply #36 on: 25 Feb 2018, 09:04 pm »
I'll try that as well

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 26 Feb 2018, 09:33 pm »
Hi

Try input , 1,2 3 or 4 and see.

james

jklowan

« Reply #38 on: 3 Mar 2018, 07:07 pm »
Had some time this morning, so the center channel issue came down to the balanced switch on the amp getting bumped apparently last time I reconnected the speakers. Almost everything works as it should and sounds great. Thank you Jim and Mike at Bryston for all you do, these pieces sound simply amazing and your customer service is really 2nd to none. You have a life long customer in me and I'll sing your companies praises to anyone who will listen. Dealing with Bryston is ALWAYS A PLEASURE.

To anyone considering the 4k board upgrade I cannot recommend it enough, it works and Bryston will take care of you if you have any problems, as I did, they make it right and go way beyond what could be expected, great great company.

My last issue might be Oppo set-up related or SP3 set-up related for cd playback. I get sound on dvd's via hdmi, but if I try and play a music cd no sound if hdmi is selected. The Oppo is connected to the SP3 via hdmi cable, analog 5.1, balaced cables and digital spdf.

I get sound on cd's via the digital, balanced inputs, but not the hmdi, anyone got any ideas where I should look first or suggestions on what to look for?

And the last is just a general question, the volume seems a little lower than I'm used to. The SP1.7 that this unit replaced never really saw anything over 50% for volume level, the SP3 seems to be at 67% to get about the same volume level, the amp is not clipping am I okay there or should I start planning out the amp upgrades and how much more power should I consider over the 9Bsst  :)

WillyP

« Reply #39 on: 4 Mar 2018, 09:59 am »
Probably the SP3 is not locked to the HDMI input of the TV (red LED is on for the HDMI button). To play music or watch a movie with the HDMI input selected the SP3 will only function when the TV is also on (with the right HDMI input selected is a good idea) so the SP3 can lock. You will see that the red colour of the LED changes to green. If this is too much of a hassle for you then use the balanced or analogue inputs of the SP3.

It can be interesting to find out which unit has the best DACs for CD, your Oppo or your SP3.

HTH

Willy