Dave's new amp has arrived - and safely!!!

djbnh

Dave's new amp has arrived - and safely!!!
« on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:38 pm »
Arranged w/Blair to have try #3 shipped to a FedEx pickup site near my job. It arrived and I picked it up last Wed., but couldn't get around to unpacking it until tonight (had Cursillo from early Thursday evening until late Sunday evening).

So, the Mrs. and I unpacked it this evening and it looks like all survived the shipping this time. Won't be able to get the amp in the system perhaps until this coming Wednesday (anniversary tomorrow), but wanted Blair / forum member to know the amp arrived safely. Blair's pix don't do justice to the wood grain, really glad I chose it. I hope it sounds just as good and in the upcoming weeks I'll be finding out about that.

Packaging was overkill this time :thumb: (double boxed, lots of peanuts and bubblewrap), and I'm happy about that. After I get the amp run in, I'll report my findings.

Questions or nits so far are tube related: 1) no markings on the four 6L6GC (or variant) tubes, and 2) one of the two Motorola 6SN7 tubes (no date markings on these either; "Motorola" is on the base of each) has some pretty heavy markings on either side. Blair, your input re: what type and date are the four 6GLGC tubes, and what's the date of / going on with the one 6SN7 tube, is appreciated. Thanks for getting it here in one piece, you were not kidding when you told me it was a really big box.

Edit: sp "here", not "hear".
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 03:31 am by djbnh »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Dave's new amp has arrived - and safely!!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2011, 12:08 am »
Is it still for sale?

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2011, 12:48 am »
Good to hear.  finally...

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2011, 01:42 am »
Is it still for sale?
No, need Admin help 2 pull off the ad. Says I can't delete it, although I locked it. Doh!

pjchappy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2011, 02:48 am »
Deleted it.

Paul

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2011, 09:09 am »
Deleted it.

Paul
TY Paul, much appreciated.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2011, 11:22 am »
NS-40 information is located here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96955.0

I do not have dates for any of the tubes. The 6L6GC's are actually Russian 5881 coin base. Sometimes they do not have markings or they're very light.

Marks in a tube's base: Due to being plugged into a gripper socket at one time.

Tubes with different labels in an amp or preamp: Tubes are installed by hand selection for best performance and matching internal structures. It's not uncommon to see two tubes with different names. Many times tubes were relabeled according to the company that was buying them. AKA: A G.E. tube might say, "Silvertone" on it.

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:23 am »
Marks in a tube's base: Due to being plugged into a gripper socket at one time.
Forgive me for not being clear in what I was asking. The glass is heavily darkened on either side of the tube in question, which seems to be an indicator of at least a pretty substantive amount of use.

djbnh

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:40 am »
The 6L6GC's are actually Russian 5881 coin base. Sometimes they do not have markings or they're very light.
I found a site with information about the 5881 tubes, see: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=405007. Can you comment about their ability to drive as well as the 6L6GC's - seems the thread indicates the 5881s may not be able to drive the NS-40 as well as real 6L6GCs. Are the 5881 Sovtek tubes? NOS or current? How does their use affect the bias as compared to using 6L6GCs...etc, etc?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2011, 09:48 am »
The dark areas inside the glass is getter material used to remove oxygen. Some tubes have more than others and it can be found in different locations with different tubes.

The 6P3S-E is what you have and is identical to the Sovtek 5881. Another good tube for the amp is the 6L6WXT+. Don't forget the "+", it is very important. WXT+'s always work splendidly in my designs.

5881's (6P3S-E version) will operate the amp perfectly and are one of my favorite output tubes. The TungSol 5881's will work as well. Your set is a current issue and new.

Biasing for different tubes: The instructions for biasing involve using a setting that provides the best sound with the least amount of heat output. It's the same instructions for all power tube sets that are compatible with the NS-40.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:01 pm »
Packaging was overkill this time :thumb:

I'm very happy to hear Blair took our advice.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 05:27 pm by Ericus Rex »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:17 pm »
Packaging was overkill this time :thumb: (double boxed, lots of peanuts and bubblewrap), and I'm happy about that.

you mean packaging was adequate...   8)

doug s.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:34 pm »
  Glad to hear all worked out fine. Now you can enjoy your purchase.  :thumb:

charles
SMA

djbnh

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm »
Was working on a review but my preamp developed a hum last week.  :duh: Thus, it'll be a bit of time until I can get my system back to normal and do some more listening. Very early and preliminary listening sessions are favorable.