What to audition for $2000.00?

geowak

What to audition for $2000.00?
« on: 2 May 2011, 05:45 am »
Looking to buy some speakers soon. I listened to the Magnepan 1.7 and I did like them but want to know from others what speakers are great at the $2000 mark.

Thinking about ML Source as well. Trying to get away from the box sound, but if there is a STANDOUT, I would be willing to drive and listen to them.

Music- Jazz, Blues, Easy listening vocals, women singers. New age and some classical. Not too much rock or rap.

I will be using a;

McCormack DNA-125 Amp
Benchmark USBDAC1
Rega Apollo CD player
Logitech Squeezebox
MACBOOK PRO/ ITUNES/ AIFF files

Thanks

Big Red Machine

Re: What to audition for $2000.00?
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2011, 11:45 am »
Songtowers

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2011, 11:50 am »
+1 on the Songtowers as that is what I would do.... :thumb:

Kinger

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2011, 12:53 pm »
I'm a Songtower owner and love them, but if I had to make another choice in the 2k range it would be the Fritz Carbon 7's.

Will2

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2011, 01:54 pm »
I would give Duke at AudioKinesis a call and ask him if he has anything that might meet your preferences and budget - might be something like these - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=94063.0 .   I think he used to be, or still is, a dealer for Soundlab as well so he will know how his own offerings compare to electrostatic speakers very well.

timjthomas

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2011, 02:33 pm »
Fritz Carbon 7s

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2011, 02:48 pm »
What sonic and musical attributes are you looking for?

What's the size of your room?  Any WAF/pets/kids sorts of issues?

Seems like you aren't interested in deep bass or extremely loud playback.  So average efficiency, standmounts (like the Fritz Carbon 7's fit the bill nicely with your McCormick), but we don't know enough to make an intelligent suggestion.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2011, 03:53 pm »
Wow, asking a room full of folks with candy which candy is best...
Well it will not be the ones they like.
It will only be the one you like.
You need to know what you want from a speaker before you shop.
Everyone has something about the sound they most enjoy.
For me, it is clarity. Other factors are up new that, but is that is missing, for me, i can never be happy.
I can miss out on several other things and live with it.
I actually hate boomy bass too. so a solid, clean LF is important.
See, these are things I know about myself, so i can look for a speaker that can give me these things.
Same for yourself. Ask what areas are the really key ones in sound you MUST have, and when auditioning, make certain they are there.
And of course the rest of sounding good..
So everyone has these things, that makes them say such and such speaker is IT!! IF the add qualifiers like: MY Magnepan 3.6s are great because they allow the clarity to be there, they do not have strong bass, but enough to be good, without boom.
I know the 3.6s are over your budget, but the way i described them..
ood luck.

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2011, 04:44 pm »
Well those are great points....

Let's start with the room.
It is 30 ft by 23ft. Ceilings are about 10 ft.

The attributes I like with regard to music are:

Wide soundstage
Clarity and great seperation of instruments
Smooth and accurate midrange
crystal highs- not harsh
Bass is tight but I know at the price point it will not be Wilson MAXX bass
Music that fills the room

I really don't know if I can audition for what i want at the $2000.00

Looking more at boxes that sound very open or no box speaker

Electrostats
Planars or hybrids
Ribbon

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2011, 04:49 pm »

Electrostats
Planars or hybrids
Ribbon
Hard to audition unless someone has a pair close to you, but I would probably add the GR Research V2 to the list. It is DIY but with the sales Danny has been having (~$1k kit) you might have budget room to have Ruben or someone build you the cabinets. Tom

HT cOz

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2011, 05:37 pm »
Well those are great points....

Let's start with the room.
It is 30 ft by 23ft. Ceilings are about 10 ft.

The attributes I like with regard to music are:

Wide soundstage
Clarity and great seperation of instruments
Smooth and accurate midrange
crystal highs- not harsh
Bass is tight but I know at the price point it will not be Wilson MAXX bass
Music that fills the room

I really don't know if I can audition for what i want at the $2000.00

Electrostats
Planars or hybrids
Ribbon

Where do you live?  Maybe some people can offer up a demo.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2011, 05:52 pm »
Big room!  Don't know if the Carbon 7 would fill it.  Don't know if you'd be happy with a box speaker.  And don't know how much space you can give around an open baffle for the best sound.

But here's an idea, Hawthorne Audio Sterling Silver Iris 15 inch coaxial.  96 dB/w/m, Fs = 36 Hz, professional drivers, need practically no baffle (just something to hold them in place).  Their cheaper Silver Iris 15 inch coaxial is less detailed.  Their smaller Sterling/Silver Iris 10 inch coaxials are slightly less efficient, higher Fs, but integrates the woofer/tweeter better.  They even sell a pre-fab baffle kit that you'd have to finish.  Looks like they'd sell you finished speakers with the 10 inch Sterling drivers that could have their matching passive 15 inch subwoofer drivers added later within your budget.

I've heard their offerings at shows, audiofest, and at the home of the crossover builder.  They bass load small, medium, and large rooms beautifully/amazingly well, especially considering they don't need a baffle.  They provide a large soundstage and a non-fatiguing/balanced presentation.

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/
« Last Edit: 2 May 2011, 09:28 pm by JLM »

coke

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2011, 05:59 pm »
My dad recently purchased a pair of used Salk Songtowers with the ribbon tweeter upgrade.  I haven't heard the dome version, but based on my experience with these, it would definitely be worth your time to find a pair to audition.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2011, 12:56 am »

Electrostats
Planars or hybrids
Ribbon

I don't mean to bust on you, but this is the "Enclosures" circle for conventional speakers.  As your question was open ended and many of the replies recommended box speakers, we can leave it here for a while to see what develops.  But a gentle suggestion that you might get better replies for what you are focusing on in the "Planar" circle.  Please let me know if you want to let it ride for a bit here or move the thread over there now, thnx.

bummrush

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2011, 01:26 am »
Put Legacy on your list.

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2011, 01:27 am »
To fill that big room with $2000 you might have to go used. How about some VMPS RM40's on Agon. You'll have to stretch your budget a little, they're going for $2200 but they have ribbons.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2011, 10:27 am »
definitely go used - at $2k used, you have a plethora of options.  even w/the ability to fill a large room.  the vmps rm40's are an excellent example.   :thumb:

doug s.

pslate

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2011, 12:55 pm »
Yeah pretty much anything GR will sound great  :thumb: I heard the N1X and I was very impressed. Danny really knows what he is doing. I ended up ordering the Selah Verita (raal ribbon) which can be had at around $2000 with standard finishes. The Salk ellis would be another fun one to check out at this price. At the end of the day I'd just love to own them all.

HT cOz

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2011, 01:55 pm »
Yeah pretty much anything GR will sound great  :thumb: I heard the N1X and I was very impressed. Danny really knows what he is doing. I ended up ordering the Selah Verita (raal ribbon) which can be had at around $2000 with standard finishes. The Salk ellis would be another fun one to check out at this price. At the end of the day I'd just love to own them all.

I would consider getting Ruben to build some of Danny's speakers.  He told me for $2500 he could make N3TL with a servo sub like this.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2011, 02:00 pm »
Now that would sound excellent!!!!!nice idea HT cOz !!!