Poll

By how much?

None - speakers facing straight forward
2 (4.5%)
Slightly - speakers intersect behind me
24 (54.5%)
A fair amount - speakers point directly at me
9 (20.5%)
A lot - speakers intersect in front of me, up to a meter (yard)
6 (13.6%)
Extremely - speakers intersect more than a metre (yard) in front of me
1 (2.3%)
Why, what difference does it make?
0 (0%)
It's been a bit rainy here lately.
2 (4.5%)
What's rain?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: 4 May 2011, 11:37 am

Do you toe in? (and why?)

JohnR

Do you toe in? (and why?)
« on: 1 May 2011, 11:37 am »
Just wondering :D  Please also say if you feel inclined:

* Type of speaker i.e. box / dipole / bipole / omni; full-range / 2-way / 3-way; dome / ribbon / planar / horn / waveguide ("CD"); etc
* Separation between speakers and distance to listening position
* Why you have chosen the degree of toe-in that you have
* Any other information you would care to share on your system or room.

Ta :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Do you toe in? (and why?)
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2011, 12:01 pm »
GedLee Abbeys

102" from the center to center of the waveguide  Cross at ~112" in front of listener

I tried them without toe and the sound is strange.  As you toe them in more there is a definitive sweet spot. 

Dr. Geddes recommends a cross of 48" in front of the listener but I found 30" to be best for me and my room.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2011, 12:10 pm »
JBL-S38II; 3-way Monitors, Ported Front Box

I listen nearfield 6-7 feet from speakers which are 7-9 feet apart.
I was told by folks here I trust to have them intersect just behind me, in my case my reclining position determines how far back my head goes. I have them set to intersect right at my head when fully reclined, if sitting up then image intersects slightly behind me. The imaging is wonderful.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2011, 12:34 pm »
Slightly...it solidifies the center stage and slightly changes the first reflection point on the side walls.
Hibuck.....

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2011, 01:36 pm »
Slight toe-in to for best center image. Meadowlark Audio Shearwater Hot Rods are 8 feet from listening position with 80 inches measured between tweeters.
This position took some experimentation to get to as previous speakers had quite a bit more toe-in.
There are 4 inch thick absorption panels at the first reflection point. These recently replaced some 2 inch thick panels and made a noticeable difference. 2 inch thick panels on the rear wall and behind the left speaker.
« Last Edit: 1 May 2011, 05:43 pm by timind »

john1970

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2011, 02:11 pm »
Toe in slightly with speakers 66" (center-to-center) apart.  Sitting nearfield at a distance of 7' from the speakers.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2011, 03:09 pm »
MTM towers, 5 1/4" drivers, metal dome tweeter, subwoofer raise to equal height, speakers 6'7" apart, 6'2" to the listening position, very slight toe, about 3 degrees.

Placement was determined to take advantage of nulls in room modes to even out low frequency response, then adjusted by ear.  Toe in strictly by ear and experience.  I've never found any definitive rules for toe in, and opinions on same are like sphincters, everybody's got one.  I'd be very interested if anyone has a data based solution as I can't make heads or tails of any of them.     

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2011, 03:26 pm »
A couple of generalizations that always work for me, in just about any room :

* The narrow baffle box speaker. The kind that says "thin is in and diffraction is your enemy". These speakers typically stand near the middle of the room and try to avoid the room boundaries.  Holographic sound is the goal, with you sitting inside the sphere of 3D sound. Each speaker is aimed at the listener's corresponding left or right shoulder. Toe in is somewhere just behind the head.

* The wide baffle box speaker. The kind that says "diffraction be damned, tone is king!".  This dude either hugs the side walls or sits very close to its rear wall. Maybe even the corner. This kind of speaker uses the room to present a large musical event which spans the entire width of the room and is nearly as tall as it is wide. The music is there, but you are here. These kinds of speakers are toed in so they are pointing at the listener's knees.

Neither *  is right or wrong. It's sort of like going to the ice cream counter, you have to choose a flavor when you get to the register.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2011, 04:12 pm »
Interesting - so far, most prefer "slight" toe-in with the speakers intersecting behind them. A smaller number prefer "a lot" with the speakers intersecting in front. Very few prefer the other main options (straight ahead or pointing directly at the listener)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2011, 04:23 pm »
I toe in just to get the 3D imagery and atmosphere in a recording as lifelike as possible.  I have tape on the floor to mark the two distances from my chair to the plane of my speakers that I position myself depending on the recording spinning.  I can see a generous amount of the inside panel of my speakers from the spot where my speakers and chair form an equilateral triangle and a little less so in the second position slightly further back.  In the equilateral position I get the most breadth and depth of field.  I most always use this position for classical music and music recorded on site.  In the position further away, I get more vivid and condenced upfront imagery.  My speakers are front firing narrow boxes.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2011, 04:58 pm »
I can see a generous amount of the inside panel of my speakers from the spot where my speakers and chair form an equilateral triangle and a little less so in the second position slightly further back.

That's an excellent visual description of toe in Jim.

visual amount of inside panel
unable to see any side panel
visual amount of outside panel

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2011, 05:07 pm »
I toe in to get the most direct sound possible, since I have OB speakers and I already get a large amount of reflected sound.  I find the combo of direct facing toe in and rear-wave ambiance to be a great combo.

RAW

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2011, 05:27 pm »
* Type of speaker HT3i RAW 3way front slot ported TMW front firing woofer
RAW RA104.5 Ribbon tweeter from AC
* Separation between speakers 6.5ft and distance to listening position 12ft
* Why you have chosen the degree of toe-in that you have NONE
* Any other information you would care to share on your system or room
Hard wood flooring with no room treatments

bacobits1

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2011, 05:54 pm »
The room is 14'X12'. Speakers are Usher 6371, 6' apart, 4' from front wall. I used string to measure the angle (about 20 degrees) to cross them at my ear  level. Front wall is slanted and not straight which is fine. I have a dedicated room and the floor is marked with tape where the speakers are located. I use MG "Room Tunes" and they work fine.

D
« Last Edit: 2 May 2011, 11:37 am by bacobits1 »

*Scotty*

« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2011, 07:28 pm »
The speakers are a front firing WMTMW. Two 12in.woofers,two 6in mid-ranges and a 5in planer magnetic tweeter with limited vertical dispersion above 2600Hz. The baffle is 14in. wide and the speaker is 56in. tall. Toe in is set using a laser. The inside edge of each speaker intersects with the listeners shoulders and the intersection point is behind the listener.
  The speakers are 8.5ft. apart center to center and the listening position is 10.5ft. away. This amounts to a near-field listening position with direct sound predominating over reflected sound. The nearest side wall is 5ft. away from the left loudspeaker resulting in a reflected path length of 200 inches.
  The speakers set up this way generate a good 3D effect with images between the listener and the loudspeaker as well as behind the plane of the loudspeakers. The loudspeakers also disappear into the sound field when they are set up this way.
  I have heard them setup closer to the side-walls with the listening position 14 to 15 ft. away which creates a wall of sound in front of you at the expense of bloom and three dimensionality. The imaging is mostly in the plane of the loudspeakers and behind them. This was not my cup of tea.
The room has wall to wall carpet and bookcases completely cover the sidewalls of the room. Floor and ceiling are concrete.
Scotty

Mike Nomad

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2011, 08:22 pm »
My desktop system has a lot of toe-in on the mains (aimed at me, near field, duh.), while my main system (living room) has no toe-in, but a lot of tilt-back.

Poll needs to have another response listed... "Rain? Haven't seen that in months."
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 07:47 pm by Mike Nomad »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2011, 10:17 pm »
Bob Brines FTA-2000 that use Fostex F200A 8 inch single driver with EnABLing (by Bud Purvine) and DEQ (to replace baffle step/zobel circuit).

Room proportions (8ft x 13ft x 22ft) and nearfield listening setup (68 inch equilateral triangle) as per Cardas.  Room is drywall with carpet, fully insulated, six GIK 244 absorption panels, and typical office furnishing in back half of the room 3 full height bookcases.

Second listening position is 6ft behind the primary (at my desk).  Speakers are aimed between both positions which really focuses the imaging from the primary listening position.  Between transmission line design, "beaming" of higher frequencies from the large driver, and Cardas recipe, the room is almost fully taken "out of the equation."

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2011, 04:21 am »
Daedalus 1.1 with All Poly crossovers. Speakers are positioned per Master Set technique. 130" apart center to center; listening position is 153" from speakers; speakers are towed in to intersect just behind the listener's head. Result is great imaging, clarity and detail, 3D soundstage, room fillling sound.

tesseract

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2011, 11:03 am »
Voted -  Slightly - speakers intersect behind me.

Nothing special, B&W 602S3. I have listened to them straight ahead, and while they sound ok, they sound even better spread far apart and toed in a bit.

Why? Could be because the first order XO has better response on axis.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2011, 05:21 am »
It probably won't rain here again until mid-October. Nigh is fire season here in So Cal.

Interesting question, at a good time. I'm borrowing some speakers right now that require proper placement. As a general rule, I go straight on-axis to start with. These speakers, apparently, require toe-in. I'm goofing with that now. I'm pretty sure I've got it; we'll see tomorrow.

The speakers in question are 2-way boxes. The separation of each, toe-in, and distance to my seat are all currently 'liquid'. However, the sound is getting better with each passing song. Is spending a few days dialing this in "weird"?  :lol:

Don't forget; speaker placement is free,  :thumb:

Jerry