Nice Deal on a Sherwood Universal Player

mjosef

Re: Nice Deal on a Sherwood Universal Player
« Reply #20 on: 2 Nov 2010, 04:35 pm »
...the player had a minor hiccup last night, it seem to have a problem reading a couple discs it had played already, one was a cdr the other a retail cd. The counter would show a very slow playtime count, or would just freeze, no audio out. One time it said 'no disc', even though there was one in the chute. Opening the drawer and closing it seem to get it back to playing the disc.
Very weird...left it on repeat all night and it seem fine.  :scratch:
A somewhat flaky bugger.
YMWV

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #21 on: 3 Nov 2010, 05:05 pm »
It played a cd, then on replay choked on it. Then played it, and everything else since, fine.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 8 Nov 2010, 11:07 pm »
I was thinking about it as a DVD replacement, but as an older model, it does not upscale to 1080p (only 1080i).  I kind of guessed it might not play DVD-Rs, but I have to go back more than ten years to find a player that doesn't play CDRs.

Steve

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2010, 11:20 pm »
I would only recommend the Newcastle units (871 or 860) as inexpensive universal audio players, not for video use.

If you need a cheap SD video player find an Oppo 970 or 981.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2010, 11:23 pm »
I would only recommend the Newcastle units (871 or 860) as inexpensive universal audio players, not for video use.

If it doesn't reliably play CDRs, I couldn't consider it for audio use.

Steve
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2010, 12:28 am by srb »

Lyndon

« Reply #25 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:08 am »
+1 with Steve.  Can't play a CD-R?  Not a universal in my book.

I wonder if this could have been solved with a firmware update, or if it is tied into the hardware?
I would have thought that Sherwood would have received a lot of correspondence on this.

Lyndon

mjosef

« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:06 am »
Its possible that unit is faulty...since that 'glitch' I previously experienced, the player has been playing every audio disc I threw at it...cdr, retail-redbook, SACD, DVD-A...
I have been leaving the unit on continuously, with a few power off times when I am changing stuff around.
I did read on another forum where one person had problems and he had to send it back.
YMWV

etcarroll

« Reply #27 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:14 am »
Same here, one or two glitches, but mostly plays fine. Also sounding better with more time on it.

It played the only cd-r I tried fine.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2010, 05:50 pm »

If it doesn't reliably play CDRs, I couldn't consider it for audio use.

Steve

I never had a problem playing CDR's on my 860, but the primary use was for SACD and DVD-Audio.

Lyndon

« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2010, 04:11 am »
Well, for what it's worth, I wrote to the company.  Here is the techie's answer:
Dear Lyndon,

Thank you for contacting us.
SD-871 supports CDR, DVD+/-R.
For the customers report the problem on the forum, it seems that pick-up is the reason for the failure reading CDR, DVD+-Rs rather than the firmware issue.
It will not play properly burned CDR/DVDs. For example, as you know, CDRs should be finalized to play with SD-871.

Please note that Newcastle SD-871 has 3 year limited warranty and no firmware upgrade available at this time.

Thank you,

Jin Yoo
Sherwood America, Inc.
Tel: 800.962.3203
Tel: 562.741.0960 ext.115
Fax: 562.741.0967

What???? Mr. Yoo?  It should play properly burned and finalized cdr's and dvd's.  Only if they are left "open" does it usually require only computer playback.  Am I getting this guys words turned around?

etcarroll

« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:34 pm »
Sounds like you got the 'canned' level 1 support answer.

I wonder if they could answer the question "Does the Sherwood universal player convert SACD's native Direct Stream Digital signals to conventional PCM digital, or leave signal as DSD until conversion to analog stage is reached?"

Lyndon

« Reply #31 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:16 pm »
I agree with you, and your question is excellent.
Perhaps we should invite Mr. Yoo to speak on our forum. :icon_twisted:

Phil A

« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm »
Sounds like you got the 'canned' level 1 support answer.

I wonder if they could answer the question "Does the Sherwood universal player convert SACD's native Direct Stream Digital signals to conventional PCM digital, or leave signal as DSD until conversion to analog stage is reached?"

I remember taking a quick look at the manual right after I posted the deal and the link to it and I thought on page 41 (?) it indicated it did not do a PCM conversion or at least implied it.

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:44 pm »
Here's the blurb from the manual - "When playing a SACD recorded in DSD, no audio signals can be output from the HDMI OUTPUT connector regardless of AUDIO OUT setting. To enjoy a SACD recorded in DSD, make the analog connection. (For details, refer to “Connecting 5.1CH AUDIO OUPUTs” or “ Connecting 2CH AUDIO OUTPUTs” on page 7.) "

etcarroll

« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2010, 09:23 pm »
Thanks Phil, just opened the manual to your pointer, it's the last note at the bottom of the page, I missed it my 1st time through.

It does imply an 'affirmative' to my question.