McNabb traded.

jimdgoulding

McNabb traded.
« on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:01 am »
Philly got a quarterback on the roster they are ready to start and maybe this frees up some cash for them to protect him.  What gases me about the trade is that they traded to an interconference rival, the Redskins.  For fans, this boogies!  If I were McNabb I couldn't be more excited.  I'm sure Snyder, Redskin's owner, intends to put last year WAY behind them.  Got an experienced and hungry, I would think, new coach and a good motivator in McNabb.  This smells like good business to me.  All around if you think about it. 

Imagine this scenario.  The owners get together with one another and the league and talk about how do we grow our revenues?  Well, if you're Philly, you gotta do something.  And if you're Washington, you gotta do something.  Freakin Jerry Jones built a stadium.  You're on the hot seat.  "You guys are loosing business for yourselves and the league, damnit", says Jerry.  "Ya'll oughta work with each other, yer in the same boat and division, and that's a righteous scenario for fans who buy the freakin hotdogs and whose attendance we can bargain with for added for TV revenues!  You got that?  Hell, none of us may be the next President of the country but we can damn well help elect him.  And I got just the guy.  For the moment, he is the Governor of my state." 

I'm totally interested to see McNabb in a rival NFC East jersey.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. 

"Besides, damnit, don't ya'll have money in satellite TV?"

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: McNabb traded.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:27 am »
Thank the gods he didn't land in Dallas. Having to put up with McNabb's ole' ex-homey T.O. was bad enough.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:40 am »
Since Chilly and Reid are buddies, and NcNabb know him well, this trade makes me think Favre has probably already agreed to play this season.  It seems like the Vikes would have made some overtures to Philly otherwise.  Of course, if I were in their shoes I'd have made an attempt to sign Westbrook, too, so maybe they're just asleep at the wheel. :lol:

It does seem like a bit of a slap in the face to trade him to a division rival.  As one sportswriter said, that's basically telling him you're not worried at all about seeing him twice a year.  Look how hard the Fudgies tried to keep Favre from signing with the Vikes?  Maybe Kolb is the "real deal" and Philly will be in good shape but I suspect this trade could very easily come back to bite 'em on the ass.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2010, 06:35 am »
No way he was ever going to Dallas, Sat.  I know you know better than that.  Robby, I missed the news today but from what I gathered he is about to make a statement.  I don't think he can quit on his own, not so long as he can represent.  At some point, the very rich can't.  The acquisition of wealth becomes a disease.  But, if it meant he would have to go with another team, I think that would be humiliating to the point he could.  We'll see, I guess.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2010, 10:26 am »
No way he was ever going to Dallas, Sat.  I know you know better than that.  Robby, I missed the news today but from what I gathered he is about to make a statement.  I don't think he can quit on his own, not so long as he can represent.  At some point, the very rich can't.  The acquisition of wealth becomes a disease.  But, if it meant he would have to go with another team, I think that would be humiliating to the point he could.  We'll see, I guess.

Do mean Favre or McNabb?  If the former I seriously doubt money is a factor.  The Greats can't seem to walk away from the sport, and it's for the same reason that they were great- passion, fanaticism, and inability to comprehend themselves without being part of the sport.  Look at Manning:  He has this goofy media image, and in his commercials he's this lovable dufuss.  But after losing the Super Bowl he can't even bring himself to shake the winners hand.  The cognitive dissonance is too great- he needed to win, and failing that he probably can't wrap his mind around the fact that someone else did win.  On a lot of levels he probably is a good guy, but not a nice guy- not where football is concerned.  But if he honestly thought it's not how win or lose but how you play the game, he'd be Brian Greise, not Payton Manning.

Brett could make a fortune in the media, maybe more than on the field.  If anything I think he can't stand the idea of being out of the limelight.  Think about it- he doesn't live in a mansion, he lives the life of a "good ol' boy"...No, leaving football would mean leaving the fame behind.  That's far more addictive than the money for guys like him.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2010, 10:43 am »
As a Philly guy, I'm glad to see McNabb go, I got tired of all the balls he threw in the ground. The Eagles had to change something they just couldn't break thru with McNabb. Hopefully Kobb will play well knowing Vick is in the wings...we'll see. I think McNabb will go to Washington and be average until he retires.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2010, 11:23 am »
If the Giants don't win the Super Bowl, I will be rooting for the Redskins to win it all...I can't stand the Eagles! :lol:

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2010, 03:10 pm »
I got tired of all the balls he threw in the ground.
Yeah me too :roll:
Far to many times McNabb was to concerned about an interception than making the play.
Can't wait to see my Iggles take it to dem Skins this fall.  :P

Bleeding green.....

Rodge

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:17 pm »
Do mean Favre or McNabb?  If the former I seriously doubt money is a factor.  The Greats can't seem to walk away from the sport, and it's for the same reason that they were great- passion, fanaticism, and inability to comprehend themselves without being part of the sport.  Look at Manning:  He has this goofy media image, and in his commercials he's this lovable dufuss.  But after losing the Super Bowl he can't even bring himself to shake the winners hand.  The cognitive dissonance is too great- he needed to win, and failing that he probably can't wrap his mind around the fact that someone else did win.  On a lot of levels he probably is a good guy, but not a nice guy- not where football is concerned.  But if he honestly thought it's not how win or lose but how you play the game, he'd be Brian Greise, not Payton Manning.

Brett could make a fortune in the media, maybe more than on the field.  If anything I think he can't stand the idea of being out of the limelight.  Think about it- he doesn't live in a mansion, he lives the life of a "good ol' boy"...No, leaving football would mean leaving the fame behind.  That's far more addictive than the money for guys like him.
Oh, sorry about that.  Favre.

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:32 pm »
Brett could make a fortune in the media, maybe more than on the field.

Not sure about that...imho, Favre talks like a dead fish when he's on camera...mumbles, doesn't seem to have much energy or personality...he might get a big contract at the outset, but I can't see him being very engaging as a media personality...