Small room subwoofer for under $250

blacklisthunter

Small room subwoofer for under $250
« on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:57 pm »
Hey guys,
Before I shoot my question, I would like to thank everyone last time I asked for sub $200 components, everyone was very helpful and I was able to find what I needed.

I currently have a small bedroom in which my little system resides.
I have av123 ELT525 Mini Monitors powered by a Tweak City Audio Gizmo and a Giga Lab Moon DAC.

The ELTs image and sound great though it lacks a bit of bottom end. I would like to get a small 8"-10" subwoofer to round it off.

I love wood color especially Rosewood in which the Gizmo and ELTs are.
av123 also has an X-sub in which they are selling for $159+shipping though not in the same rosewood veneer, they have other wood in a Rosa color.

I have looked at offerings from Axiom, SVS, and HSU and they are more power & more costly than I can afford right now.I would like to ask you guys if you know any decent subwoofers with wood veneer are under $250 out there? Thank you for your help.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: Small room subwoofer for under $250
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2009, 05:54 am »
$250 may be a tough budget for new, if you don't want to build enclosures.

If you're comfortable with some woodworking, or know a friend who is, you could easily come in under $250 for a raw 8" driver and a plate amp from Parts Express. They have a 100W plate that's around $110, and a Dayton Quatro 8" driver for $60 or so. A sheet of MDF is $19-25.

Is used a possibility? I'm seeing a couple subs on Audiogon for that budget, although you'd probably have to lurk for some deals...

blacklisthunter

Re: Small room subwoofer for under $250
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2009, 11:09 pm »
Yea I was thinking of building my own as I have done it before.

But I would like to have a sub with a veneer match with my current speakers and that's quite rough. The AV123 x-sub would be perfect if/when they are in stock.

Thanks for the reply, I've been lurking in audiogon for quite some time.. I will continue to do so till May.. that's when the X-subs should come in. if not i'll just build my own. Thanks again.