Wood for OB speakers

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Wood for OB speakers
« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2009, 04:00 pm »
Wow...  :shake: ...How do they come up with this stuff?  (No need to answer that).
That's just gross.

Bob

dmiller

« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2009, 05:47 pm »
cow urine contains urea, all urine contains urea
but as it difficult to follow cows around collecting urine and people wont cooperate :)
urea in industry does not come from cows, as far as I know it's from petrochemical. Urea is one of the two forums of Nitrogen in fertilizer.

For OB, laminated OB up to the weight I can handle - 1.5 to 2.5 inches
box speakers I would only use a solid plywood like baltic birch. I haven't decided about the sound of wood, but I just don't like working with mdf
For OB, mdf can be completely sealed. So the only outgasing should be from the paint.
I never cut MDF in the house.

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2009, 07:10 pm »
For my abbey clone baffles, I just glued 3/4" baltic birch to 3/4" mdf.  Simple mix of both.   1.5" MDF is heavy!  BB is light, so half/half is much lighter than all MDF.

After working with BB on this project, I may never use MDF again.  The BB is expensive, but it makes so much less mess and the dust isn't nearly as irritating.

panomaniac

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2009, 07:33 pm »
Yeah, I know a few carpenters who won't touch MDF - can't. The dust and the fumes really hurt them.  Too many years working with the stuff.

It is nasty, but if you work outside and wear a mask, it isn't too bad.  Unless you do it for a living.....

JoshK

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2009, 09:18 pm »
Don't know if you can find this or equivalent in the states, but this ought to dampen a baffle.

http://www.korff.ch/E/hawaphon.htm

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2009, 09:43 pm »
That's very cool, but can't find a price.  :dunno: