stands with the Jazz Modules?

Berndt

stands with the Jazz Modules?
« on: 24 May 2008, 03:20 am »
Duke I've seen the pic's of the Jazz Modules on stands.
Was there another version that you ran the stands with?
I'm sure you told me, probably just forgot.
Regards, Bill

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: stands with the Jazz Modules?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2008, 06:30 am »
Good question, about the stands.

This is how they evolved:  When I was doing measurements during the design phase of the Jazz Modules, distance to floor and ceiling were important factors.  You see, I used time-gated measurments, and the longer the time interval between the arrival of the direct output from the driver, and the reflection off the nearest room boundary (usually either the floor or ceiling), the better.  Better, because the longer that interval the lower the frequency down to which I could get good data.  The ideal was to have the driver being measured equidistant from the floor and ceiling, as that maximized the time interval before the first reflection arrived.  I had some stands and some blocks of wood, and I was putting the speakers on the stands to make measurements of the waveguide, then on the stands + blocks of wood to make measurements of the woofer.

Well, I thought they looked pretty good up on the stands, with the black waveguide & woofer matching the black stands - but those particular stands were too tall.  So I made a shorter pair for the show.  They were purely for looks.  And in retrospect, I wish I hadn't done it - they have given people the impression that my speakers needed to be on short stands to sound good, like I'd made them four inches too short. 

So only use stands if you want to.  Or if they make the speakers look better.  Or sound better.  Which maybe they do, or maybe they don't... I really don't know!

By the way, I used a cheap yellow alternative to Blu-Tac to stick the stands to the speakers.  It worked very well - I could tip the speakers until they were lying on the ground, and the stands would stay stuck to them.  In fact, when I twisted the stands off, it took off some of the black paint on the top of the stands.  Don't use too much - I don't think it would stick hard enough to peel off my wooden "skis" glued to the bottom of the cabinet, but too much yellow tac and it just might.

Duke

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2008, 04:28 am »
Duke....
What is this "cheap yellow alternative to Blu-Tac " that you mentioned ? Thanks... :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2008, 05:19 am »

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2008, 05:28 am »
Hi lonewolf,

Thanks for asking; I should have gone into more detail about that.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the cheap yellow stuff, but I got it at wal-mart.  I wanted something that didn't adhere as strong as blu-tac does; one time I ripped the veneer off the bottom of a stand-mount speaker using blu-tac.  That doesn't help the resale value, lemme tell you.

If I were going to use short stands with Jazz Modules again, I'd probably put some fresh furniture wax on the surfaces the yellow-tac was going in between.  That paint-peeling episode makes me think that even with the cheap yellow stuff there's still more adhesion going on than I really need.

Duke

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2008, 10:39 pm »
I've used the following to great effect, in lieu of blue tack. 

Light grey or dark grey colored self-adhesive foam gasket (or weatherstrip) tape, about 3/8" wide x estimated 1/8" height, comes on rolls.  The tape is applied to great effect, adhesive side down, attached to the stand's upper/speaker platform horizontal surface; the outer edge of the tape is placed equal to the vertical edge of the stand platform. 

The speaker is placed as it normally is atop the stand platform.  If the speaker has enough mass, over time, the foam tape is compressed, displacing the air from the spaces in the foam.  Below a certain mass a weight may need to be added atop the speaker to compress the foam (never tried w/ lightweight speakers). 

Then what?  After the foam compresses, go ahead & try to detach the speaker.  I dare you.  The only way to detach the speaker is for air to re-fill the former (now compressed) spaces in the foam.  The stand may need to be stabilized w/ both feet while great upward pressure to the speaker is applied w/ both hands, waiting for air to refill the foam spaces to detach the speaker.   

I've done this several times w/ no apparent damage to hard piano type &/or lacquered real wood veneer speaker finishes.  The grip at the attachment point is strong enough to take a severe bump from a child, animal or vacuum cleaner w/o detaching from the stand.  The stand/speaker interface becomes one till an appropriate length of time is commited to slowly re-fill the tape air spaces.   

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2008, 10:57 pm »
Ro7939, thank you for posting that information.  Very elegant and effective solution, and not one I would have thought of on my own.

Duke

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2008, 02:06 am »
Duke, I tilted them up 4" in the front with books.
They felt more open, more planar.
Nice drive too, listened to back in black and and it had a very nice kick.
Thanks Duke