Poll

If you were buying new speakers, what role would grilles play?

I wouldn't buy speakers without grilles, I leave them on all the time.
0 (0%)
I prefer grilles for protection when I am not listening but take them off during playback.
7 (31.8%)
Would buy speakers I enjoyed regardless of grille availability.
9 (40.9%)
Would prefer speakers without grilles.
5 (22.7%)
Would rather have another form of driver protection other than grilles like a cover.
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: 25 Mar 2008, 09:07 pm

Speaker Grilles: Do you use them or are they unnecessary?

sbrtoy

I am trying to gauge interest in grilles for our upcoming speaker design. They add cost and personally I never use them, but if people feel strongly enough we could make them an option. 

toocool4

Re: Speaker Grilles: Do you use them or are they unnecessary?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2008, 09:54 pm »
Well I use Totem Model 1’s which do not have grill’s, to me they look better without them. I personally do not like grills.

I am also looking into getting Peak Consult Princess speakers, which I have asked if I can get in Piano black and no grills. The answer has come back, yes I can have a pair but will cost me £900 more for the privilege so I’m now saving up my pennies.

Chris

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2008, 10:29 pm »
Taser-protected tweeters.  That'll learn'em.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2008, 10:37 pm »
Speakers like my Martin-Logans have no grill as the driver is protected by the stator. My other conventional speakers have grills that I remove during playback. Grills are for the wife factor, it's like wearing a suitcoat without a tie. Hate the tie, but sometimes you need it. In other words: Speaker drivers are cool for guys, not for gals.

Later added: the wife says that grills keep the dust of the drivers. she says they are more like "dust covers" then grills.

Wayner  aa

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm »
I don't like them but probing little fingers make them necessary.  Taser tweeters, now there's a marketable idea!

Even while listening, grilles are a good idea.  Kids can strike any time without warning.  I know.

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2008, 12:27 am »
Some choices are confusing.
#1  Yes, I wouldn't buy speakers with out grills, No, I don't use grills all the time.
#4  ...just don't use the grills.

So, it comes down to 50/50.  Some want grills and can remove them.  Some don't care if they had grills or not.

Anywho, I voted #2.  I would not take the chance of my kids or visitors poking at my cones.
If you do have grills, use magnets.