Denon DVD-2900

modwright

Denon 2900 Mods
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2003, 12:52 am »
Please see my post RE the 5900 mods above...2900 mods will be complete soon.

Thanks,

Dan

Ron D

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2004, 09:30 pm »
Dan - a few questions when you get the time...

1. What is the status of mods to 2900 including the tube "version"

2. How would rate the 2900 Vs Sony's 999ES in terms of your desired outcome after mods if you were to compare the basic mods (I think they both will be around $500) 2 channel only on both units?  

Tx
Ron

modwright

Denon 2900 w/Tubes
« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2004, 06:25 pm »
Well, yesterday I finally connected signal and power wires to the tube stage in the 2900 and started listening.  Impressions are still very preliminary and I have a little ways to go in terms of voicing and tweaking the circuit.  The tube mods in this units are going to be a more sophisticated circuit than is used in the 999ES and this is reflected in the higher price - $1200 for Denon 2900 Universal Truth Mods.

These changes include:
Improved voltage regulation.
Improved bias circuitry - possibly battery bias.
Different Tube - Russian 6H30.

I am also working with the new SlipStream Bybees in the audio signal path and am considering offering them in conjunction with the tube mods.

I have not done a direct comparison to the 999ES yet, but this will be done SOON.

Thanks,

Dan

HChi

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2004, 08:35 pm »
Will it be possible for you to throw 5900 with basic mod in the comparison ring as well?  

Thanks,
Howard

modwright

Yes!
« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2004, 02:41 am »
Yes, I have just completed a 5900 with Level I mods (and AC bybees) and this unit will be compared to the others.  I will do the comparison before and after the LC Audio XO3 clock and clock supply are installed.  This will be done for both tubed 2900 and Level I 5900.

Thanks,

Dan

Hoots

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2004, 02:53 am »
I have an A-Stock Denon2900 to be arriving in the morning and I'm not too excited about opening it.  I've thought about selling it and applying the funds elsewhere, but if I could mod the unit and get great SACd & CD sound then the DVD-A would be a bonus as would the video which I don't need--I have a HTPC.

Assuming I could resell the 2900 for around $700 do you think keeping it and getting leve 1 or if needed the $1200 mods would be a good value w/o putting much value on the fact that it's a nice video and DVD-A player?

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2004, 10:27 pm »
I am confused as to why you are hesitant to open it?  But anyhow, I do believe it is a good unit and with the tube mods is fantastic.  I am 99% complete with the first tubed unit and I am VERY pleased with the results.  I wouldn't 'dump' it just yet.  It IS a very good unit.

Dan

Hoots

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2004, 11:54 pm »
I'll probably hook up the Denon tonight.  Thanks.

I was thinking it would resell better (for more money) sealed in box if I was indeed going to sell it....it came in a product bundle...I probably wouldn't have purchased it stand alone.  

I was wondering if I am paying more for video and DVD-A and getting less performance per dollar for the CD and SACD which I want.  The TAS review was HORRIBLE for all audio formats which has increased the concern.  Perhaps it's not that bad and knowing I have an upgrade path to outstading sound (and any format) all in one box with a bonus video player may make this a better deal than I realize.

A $1200 mod is easier to justify on a low cost box than a more expensive one.   I've thought about adding your mods to used  PT P3A and P1A and using them on my current low-end Sony SACD/CD player (market value used $150)....the problem here is that they don't help SACD or DVD-A (and of course have nothing to do with video) but open the door to SOCS in the future.

I probably will be much happier with the 2900 than I realize and by adding your mods it sounds like I'll have all the optical playback options and quality I'll need for a long time.

I bought one of the early $700 DVD players long ago and have watched it depreciate to near nothing.  Perhaps the 2900 will have a little less steep of a depreciation curve.

HChi

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #28 on: 20 Feb 2004, 09:00 pm »
Hi Dan,
Which Russia 6H30 are you using specifically, the NOS or the new?  How much will they be for a matched pair?  I look forwarding to hearing your comparison bewteen Sony vs. Denon mod players.

Howard

Rocket

denon dvd
« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2004, 12:18 am »
Hi Hoots,

Okay, don't sell your denon dvd player as you will Looooose money.

At this stage don't worry about buying the p1a/p3a combo.  I would invest $350us and get the denon upgraded by modwright to level 1.

Dan does excellent work and has a great reputation, for customer service and the quality of his work.

Btw i have p3a level 1 modwright and it is excellent, much better than the stock p3a.

regards

rod

modwright

6H30 and Tube Mods for Denon
« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2004, 07:03 am »
I am using new Sovtek 6H30's and am simply paying retail for the first dozen or so tubes.  I am going to be working with my tube supplier for large qty. orders and my be able to get NOS units then.

The tube mods for the Denon are exceptional - especially after eliminating ALL op-amps from the 2CH signal path :).

I have compared it to the 999ES with Sig. Truth Mods as well as the 9000ES with Sig. Truth mods - all tubed.  The Denon has the 6H30 tube which sets it apart from the rest and the passive I-V conversion and COMPLETE eradication of op-amps make the sound VERY special and more open, detailed and 'live' sounding to my ears, compared to the other mods, but it is very close.

I still have two other tricks up my sleeve for the tubed Denon and then I will be satisfied.  I could be satisfied right now as it is EXCELLENT, but I want it to be MORE than excellent :).

Dan

mr_bill

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2004, 05:08 pm »
Dan,

Regarding your comment on the Denon 2900......
"make the sound VERY special and more open, detailed and 'live' sounding to my ears, compared to the other mods, but it is very close. "

When you said 'compared to the other mods' did you mean compared to the highly regarded 999 or 9000 statement tube mods?  or were you comparing to the other mods you do with the Denon 2900?

I read it as compared to the 999 and 9000 statement tube mods. If so, it sounds like the 2900 statement tube is better than the other statement mods and a very hot product with the super tubes!

Thanks,
Bill

Hoots

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2004, 08:57 pm »
The tube mobs seem to be ideal, but I was wondering what to expect from the more affordable sub $500 basic mod.  Would this allow the 2900 to perform better than other sub $1K CD players?  I guess the Rotel TAS brags about would be the benchmark.

HChi

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2004, 04:25 am »
Dan,
That sounds great! Could these two tricks up your sleeve be LC Audio XO3 clock and clock supply  8)?  When it is fully modded, it would be great if it could rival your signature work of SCD-1/SCD-777/XA777ES! Please keep us posted about the progress.  Thanks.

Howard

modwright

Denon 2900
« Reply #34 on: 2 Mar 2004, 09:16 pm »
The items 'up my sleeve' actually do not include the XO3 clock and supply, although I HAVE installed these now and they made a HUGE improvement.

One of the tricks up my sleeve didn't work out, the other one is still up in the air ;).

Dan

HChi

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #35 on: 5 Mar 2004, 03:58 am »
Dan,
I have a CD transport that I would like to continue using.  Would it be possible to add an AES/EBU or coxial RCA input to the DAC section of the mod and use the separate transport instead of the default denon tranpsort for CD playback? Thanks.

Howard

modwright

Denon 2900
« Reply #36 on: 10 Mar 2004, 08:45 pm »
>Regarding your comment on the Denon 2900......
>"make the sound VERY special and more open, detailed and 'live' >sounding to my ears, compared to the other mods, but it is very close. "
>When you said 'compared to the other mods' did you mean compared to >the highly regarded 999 or 9000 statement tube mods? or were you >comparing to the other mods you do with the Denon 2900?
I was actually referring to comparison with all our other tube mods, as well as the stock unit of course.

>I read it as compared to the 999 and 9000 statement tube mods. If so, >it sounds like the 2900 statement tube is better than the other statement >mods and a very hot product with the super tubes!
It certainly has the potential to be better than the others.  We are doing a few special things with this unit that we have not been able to do on the others - mainly eliminating ALL op-amps from the signal path.

>The tube mobs seem to be ideal, but I was wondering what to expect >from the more affordable sub $500 basic mod. Would this allow the >2900 to perform better than other sub $1K CD players? I guess the >Rotel TAS brags about would be the benchmark.
The $500 mod will definitely improve its performance and it will easily better other sub $1k players, without a doubt.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

It's ON!...
« Reply #37 on: 13 Mar 2004, 09:21 pm »
I have finally completed the 2900 mods to my satisfaction, having the final piece of the puzzle fall into place.  It sounds INCREDIBLE!!!

We are working IN EARNEST now, to complete the units on hand and to start working out way through the wait list.

If you want to have your 2900 modified with tubes, please let me know ASAP to get on the list.

Signature mods for the 2900 and 5900 are being taken in on a daily basis and are not wait-listed.  Turnaround time for the Signature mods (non-tube) is 2-weeks, while the tube mods are a 3-week turnaround time and a start date does need to be scheduled.

Thanks,

Dan

Ron D

Denon DVD-2900
« Reply #38 on: 23 Mar 2004, 02:13 am »
Dan- checked the website. Saw the Denon mods but I seem to be missing the details concernign the tubes as well as their associated costs. Can you enlighten me as to what the tube mods cost are these extra to the mods already listed.

Tx
Ron

modwright

Denon Tube Mods
« Reply #39 on: 26 Mar 2004, 08:05 pm »
I need to update our website and will.

Thanks,

Dan