On Establishing A New Paradigm For Loudspeaker Performance

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Friends,

I had a break after church today and this is what I do with it. :scratch: :lol:

On Establishing A New Paradigm For Loudspeaker Performance

It is beginning to appear that SP Technology may have brought to the audio marketplace a set of technologies that represents a new paradigm in loudspeaker performance.  Although it is still early in the process, a consensus does appear to be forming amongst those that have experienced the virtues that these products bring to bear.  Time and again experienced owners and reviewers are making claims that these products outperform a plethora of products that have come before them.  Many claims are even being made that such a level of performance has never been experienced before at any price point.  In light of these developments, we at SP Technology feel as though we should address the potential implications and/or any fallout resulting from the process, should such a process be under way.

To begin, we must recognize the fact that audio performance is among the most subjective of all consumer markets.  It is dominated by individual perceptions and preferences, thereby making any such “consensus” more of a very loosely held “belief” than any established fact.  Nevertheless, a number of products have been awarded the label “classic” and this is the best any manufacturer can ever really hope to achieve. 

In that, time is the gauging metric by which any consensus must be established.  If a product is able to “stand the test of time,” it will then become the consensus that the design is a “classic.”  It is premature at this juncture to make any such claims for SP Technology products as sufficient time has not passed nor market penetration taken place.  Being gauged by the claims of owners and reviewers to this point though, one may be led to believe the process is well under way.  This is our belief.  In fact, our marketing slogan “The new reference for the new millennium” was not chosen simply to elicit attention.  Rather, we have always believed it to be a fundamental truth that would eventually be born out in time.

In consideration of the above and assuming for the sake of argument that such a consensus is ultimately established, we now find ourselves concerned with the potential consequences of the process that leads to such a consensus.  In fact, such consequences are the very subject matter of this writing.

So what types of consequences loom on the horizon?  Well, during the establishment of any new paradigm, strongly held beliefs end up being challenged.  It is a fact of human behavior that we seldom abandon our beliefs without at least serious forethought and often not without the surrender of a certain amount of pride.  Vanity is a very dominant trait of our species and only yields in the face of overwhelming truth – if ever. 

Individuals and even groups will often exhibit much resistance to any new developments that challenge their beliefs.  At the “milder” end of the spectrum we may see a form of “civilized” debate.  In the middle we often observe much rancor, angst and even malicious and demeaning accusations directed at the challenging party.  At the very extreme our world suffers from violence, murder and wars as a result of mankind’s inability to reconcile its staunchly held beliefs in the face of greater truth.  In the end but well before any consensus is ever achieved (however loosely held such a consensus may be), we see posturing, entrenchment, defensiveness and lines being drawn.  Although such behavior appears to be “natural” and is to be expected, it seldom leads to a constructive environment for all involved. 

In the specific case of the audio market we have relatively large sums of money and its associated evils involved as well.  Competition is good for the consumer but it is seldom received with appreciation by established market entities.  Not only have certain established manufacturers engaged in less than ethical practices, but they often employ, either directly or by proxy, various other market entities and associates in the process of attempting to maintain the “status quo.”  Established manufacturers and various advertising media have a somewhat “parasitical” relationship and will often engage in practices that work to maintain their market shares – regardless of any ethical considerations.  Any new entity that would be characterized as an “outsider” that offers products threatening such a status quo, can expect much resistance in their efforts to bring their products to market.  Such resistance is above and beyond the costs and logistics that are otherwise inherently involved.

So, what are we saying?  Clearly we have presented nothing new in the above analysis, as most would agree that this is all common knowledge.  SP Technology’s position is that although we recognize these truths, we also regret that it must be the case.  We understand that although such behavior is on a certain level “natural” and to be expected, we continue to hope for the “better.”  In that, we ask all of our friends, customers and other industry associates to exercise the greatest possible restraint and self-discipline.  In essence, we are asking you to rise above the “natural” and to the best of your ability, behave in what might be termed a “supernatural” manner.

To be sure, all of us involved in the process of “spreading the word” should be cautious in our attempts to do so.  Although the “truth” may be offensive, we should strive to avoid being offensive towards others in our communications and behavior.  Above all we must remain patient and treat others with dignity and respect.  In time, if we do speak the truth and SP Technology products really do represent a new paradigm in loudspeaker performance; the world will ultimately come to realize it.  Yea, all but the most defiant will have little choice – and that to their own loss.

Sincerely,
Bob Smith
SP Technology Loudspeakers

Double Ugly

Re: On Establishing A New Paradigm For Loudspeaker Performance
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2007, 09:14 pm »
Great advice, Bob.

Unfortunately, I sometimes find it difficult to avoid engaging, but I'm slowly getting better... I think.  :roll:

Along those lines, I think many of us can take a lesson from Chris/lonewolf.  If there's one person I'd like best to emulate in that regard, it's Chris.  :thumb:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2007, 09:26 pm »
There is a plaque on the wall at my hunting camp that may apply here it states

"Them that can brag without lying, let them brag" aa

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2007, 10:16 pm »
Gently stated, eloquently written.

Well done Bob!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2007, 12:20 am »
Every manufacturer has their faithful, fanciful and fanatical adherents.  Eventually they discover something else and move on.  I’m not trying to push anyone’s buttons here so forgive me for being so naïve, but on the surface I don’t see anything new or original in a wood like box, with a woofer and a tweeter.  Whether there is a crossover or anything else hidden inside I don’t know, but on the surface there isn’t anything to suggest some extraordinary achievement.

Another manufacturer with distinctive product is rising to the swell.  That company contends that the intrinsic limitations of an enclosed box delineates the boundary of what is truly possible and thus has discarded the enclosed box as a viable means of pushing the envelope of loudspeaker performance.

Perhaps SP Technology has taken the enclosed box approach to a new level, however an enclosed box is still an enclosed box.  In recent years there has been a slow but steady migration to the open baffle approach.  It would seem that this should pave the way for more and more manufacturers to explore this area and thus continually set new standards as to what is possible in reconstruction of the best possible natural sound. 

For no other reason than the enthusiasm of the faithful follower's testimonial driven hype machine, I would put the Time Piece among Emerald Physics CS2 (haven't heard either) and GR Research OB’s along with RAW’s OB offerings on a short list of the best of the best without pillaging the pocketbook.

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2007, 12:46 am »
Though I think Bob's post was a very politely-worded request directed at those who've heard and can be a bit overly-zealous in their admiration - and defense - of SP Tech (like me :oops:), that was a nice, thought-provoking response, John. 

Well done!  :thumb:

bhobba

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2007, 01:10 am »
Perhaps SP Technology has taken the enclosed box approach to a new level, however an enclosed box is still an enclosed box.  In recent years there has been a slow but steady migration to the open baffle approach. 

Yes, open baffle speakers are now more common, led by the grand old master himself - Sigfried Linkwitz.  But Danny Richie, the designer of one of the open baffle speakers you mention, believes his line array's sound better.  In fact he believes it is the best speaker he has heard - and he has heard Bob's speakers on many occasions.  I believe the truth is a bit more complex, and relies heavily on what you are looking for in a speaker.  Properly executed open baffle, line sources, and boxed designs can all sound spectacular.  The choice depends to a certain extent on your expectation and personnel preferences.  What I would like to see is an emerging concensus on what are the quality designs in each genre.  I have remarked elsewhere that the high overheads of going to your local Hi Fi store is not the cost effective option any more IMHO.  I rather like Sigfried's Orion by the Sea concept.  A holiday house packed with a small number of best of type speakers would be ideal.  Bobs speakers unquestionably belong in that elite group IMHO.   

Thanks
Bill

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2007, 01:27 am »
Every manufacturer has their faithful, fanciful and fanatical adherents.  Eventually they discover something else and move on.  I’m not trying to push anyone’s buttons here so forgive me for being so naïve, but on the surface I don’t see anything new or original in a wood like box, with a woofer and a tweeter.  Whether there is a crossover or anything else hidden inside I don’t know, but on the surface there isn’t anything to suggest some extraordinary achievement.

Another manufacturer with distinctive product is rising to the swell.  That company contends that the intrinsic limitations of an enclosed box delineates the boundary of what is truly possible and thus has discarded the enclosed box as a viable means of pushing the envelope of loudspeaker performance.

Perhaps SP Technology has taken the enclosed box approach to a new level, however an enclosed box is still an enclosed box.  In recent years there has been a slow but steady migration to the open baffle approach.  It would seem that this should pave the way for more and more manufacturers to explore this area and thus continually set new standards as to what is possible in reconstruction of the best possible natural sound. 

For no other reason than the enthusiasm of the faithful follower's testimonial driven hype machine, I would put the Time Piece among Emerald Physics CS2 (haven't heard either) and GR Research OB’s along with RAW’s OB offerings on a short list of the best of the best without pillaging the pocketbook.

In a thread with the message being what it is, I hesitate to even reply, but I think it bears noting:  the more you learn about how box speakers work, the more you can appreciate the beauty of the SPTech designs.  It also has many engineering tricks incorporated that all speakers, box or not, can appreciate, such as the waveguide that controls directivity (that one you can see,) the 600hz crossover in the Timepiece (getting a tweeter to play below 2khz is an extreme challenge,) and a nice dampened and rigid platform for the mounting of the drivers.  The SPTech hybrid t-line box design also enables very low distortion bass, but I guess that doesn't translate well to boxless designs.  No doubt there are other fine designs out there, but amongst boxed designs, I think SPTechs are right at the top.  On a side note, I really like the Emerald Physics design concepts, but don't personally feel they represent a good value for one or two reasons.  Much of the issue boils down to a different set of compromises, with one requiring much more room treatment than the other.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2007, 01:35 am »
I believe the truth is a bit more complex, and relies heavily on what you are looking for in a speaker.  Properly executed open baffle, line sources, and boxed designs can all sound spectacular.  The choice depends to a certain extent on your expectation and personnel preferences.

Well said.  Experience (of the intimate variety) usually settles the matter for most people.  It’s how one concludes whether they prefer analogue to digital or tubes to SS.  By exploring the options we gravitate to one or the other.  Because the OB approach is still relatively obscure to the enclosed box, it’s reasonable to assume that once more people become acquainted with it, the issue will become increasingly polarized. 

In my mind a paying customer’s commentary is more meaningful than a professional review.  When there are many paying customers who more or less concur and can provide contrast to other products they have owned, the significance or noteworthiness of those comments increases.  The more detail provided, the better.

SP Technology is well positioned in that regard.

bbchem

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2007, 02:58 am »
 :|  Don't know if I initiated this controversy, I was just trying to provide some support for Bob since I think he has a wonderful product overall. I posted in Audiogon that a friend went to a live event the other day and came back and told me the sound was horrible and he normally loves that music on his audio system, which means that live music can also be problematic. So, what are we really looking for in our home audio? Do we want live music sound or do we really want a sound that is pleasing to our ears in our homes? The line begins to blur at some point. On another point all loud speakers are a comprise with ups and downs, I have had Apogee Slant 6's, two pair of Martin logan CLSs and MAgnepan 1.6 and MMG. At that time I felt that these were the best that can be, after a while I felt that the music was closed in and I had to sit in a fixed spot to really get the most of the delivery. Thus a compromise with that type as well. I guess the best speaker is one that bothers you the least, and seems to be what you feel is less compromising.

Regards, Bill       :|

ooheadsoo

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:53 am »
:|  Don't know if I initiated this controversy, I was just trying to provide some support for Bob since I think he has a wonderful product overall. I posted in Audiogon that a friend went to a live event the other day and came back and told me the sound was horrible and he normally loves that music on his audio system, which means that live music can also be problematic. So, what are we really looking for in our home audio? Do we want live music sound or do we really want a sound that is pleasing to our ears in our homes? The line begins to blur at some point. On another point all loud speakers are a comprise with ups and downs, I have had Apogee Slant 6's, two pair of Martin logan CLSs and MAgnepan 1.6 and MMG. At that time I felt that these were the best that can be, after a while I felt that the music was closed in and I had to sit in a fixed spot to really get the most of the delivery. Thus a compromise with that type as well. I guess the best speaker is one that bothers you the least, and seems to be what you feel is less compromising.

Regards, Bill       :|

I think Bob's goal is to make a speaker that will reproduce what was recorded, whether the source sounds good or bad.  I don't think Bob's post was targeted at you, Bill.  Bob just likes to make these posts once in a while  :icon_surprised:

Double Ugly

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2007, 07:46 am »
ooheadsoo's right, Bill.  No one knows precisely what or who compelled Bob to make the post.

I believe I've read all your posts pertaining to SP Tech speakers on AC and Audiogon, and I've yet to see anything to justify the sorts of claims, assertions and generally disparaging remarks to which several have been subjected on Audiogon.  My opinion may not mean much, but it's an observation I think you should consider.

You've done nothing wrong as far as either of us knows, and though your willingness to accept the blame is admirable, it isn't necessary.  :thumb:

That said, Bob's right... after writing a review or follow-up about SP Tech products, we should *ALL* give thoughtful consideration to what we've typed before submitting the post, regardless of the venue.  Additionally, if your post results in a backlash (a virtual certainty on Audiogon) and you find it impossible to engage without feeding argument or debate, walk away.  There's precious little to be gained by anyone, but there is a potential for SP Technology to lose. 

Trying to help others realize a level of sonic satisfaction akin to what we've achieved with the assistance of SP Technology Loudspeakers is a commendable endeavor, but it's oh-so-easy to do more harm than good.  THAT, I believe, was the gist of Bob's post.

I believe I know Bob well enough to say that, if he's identified one or more well-intended SP Tech "Fanboys" who've taken an ill-advised path, he's already communicated with them privately.  I see this post as more of a 'general service' announcement.  :wink:

You're alright, Bill.  No worries!  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2007, 12:06 pm »
Bob,

This posting makes me wonder if the Sunday sermon has any similarities to this message of yours.

As much hope as I have in your work/products, I doubt it will have the impact of the greater Christian church (as your closing paragraph alludes to).   Time and market penetration will tell if your speakers reach “classic” (an over used term in this hype filled world) status.

Yes, sometimes our passion and pride pushes too hard in how we present the “good news” of SPTech.

I worry more that a greater risk could be cheap imitation, from reverse engineering and overseas (especially child, prison, or below fair market) labor.  So I applaud your release of the AV-1 and Mini, as a products that bring the fruits of your work closer to us on the ground (that don’t have as many evil money involvements).
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2007, 04:12 pm by JLM »

bbchem

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2007, 02:31 pm »
 :D  Gentlemen, I was actually addressing Wind Chaser in regards to box vs others. But, I will bow out on both AC and Audiogon now since I have done what I set out to do. Bob posted and excellent post on Audiogon in support of our efforts. Getting the word out on a mainstream Audio Site was my goal, and I knew I was setting myself up to much conjecture. But one thing remains true, Controversy creates curiousity. And if like me you search the web, you will indeed see that when I said I could not fnd anything negative about SPTECH, is still true. People can throw stones and always will. The Truth shall set you free ultimately. Whether someone gets to hear them or not they will probably have them in back of their minds when thinking about something new. If not for AC, I myself would never have known about their existence. Any future post will be soft and cordial.

Regards, Bill     :icon_lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2007, 03:22 pm »
I worry more that a greater risk could be cheap imitation, from reverse engineering and overseas (especially child, prison, or below fair market) labor. 

So do I.

:D  Gentlemen, I was actually addressing Wind Chaser in regards to box vs others.

Missed that one completely, Bill.  Didn't read it that way.

First time I've been wrong this year.  :wink:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2007, 03:48 pm »
It's been a while since I studied Thomas Kuhn and his theory on the structure of scientific revolution.  From what I remember I don't think anybody establishes a new paradigm as much as it is established by the demise of the competing schools.  If you got something revolutionary, Bob, time will tell if yours will win out.  When the current generation of speaker manufacturers dies out and the next generation follows your method of speaker building then you have established a paradigm.  Good luck.

P.S.  I like Bill Baker modded SP AV1s just fine regardless of it's paradigmatic status.  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:20 pm »
WC,

Why are you pushing OB so hard?  It seems you've been injecting inappropriately on a couple of threads lately.  Why not just indicate your preference and nicely point folks to the OB circle?  If you don't like this sort of product why post here?

You can read where SPTech does a couple of innovative things with these wooden boxes (certainly more innovative than a driver mounted to a board).  I think if you read Bob's post on this thread you might find yourself in the mirror.

Occam

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:24 pm »
I do believe Bob should be forgiven both his hubris and his misuse of the term paradigm. While I eagerly await his whitepaper  The Structure of Loudspeaker Revolutions he is obviously quite proud of his, no doubt, excellent products and a certain amount of hyperbole is to be expected, even though I see little that hasn't been done previously. Hardly revolutionary, but evolutionary. But the execution of a fairly priced product incorporating a number of excellent ideas is to be lauded, revolutionary, or not.

IronLion

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:37 pm »
Two of Wind Chaser's recent posts:

"Assuming you have enclosed box speakers, here's how you make an easy painless transition from tubes to SS.

Get rid of the enclosed box speakers and go for a free air / open baffle design.  The difference between these two designs in the way they present music is vastly greater than the difference bewteen tubes vs. SS.  Personally, I much prefer a wingless OB with mid-fi than an enclosed speaker with superior electronics."

"Expecting a wave trapped inside an enclosed box to sound like an OB is like expecting a convict imprisoned to live life as if he's on the outside.  That just ain't going to happen. Shake head"

All ye who owneth box'd speakers are prisoners, prisoners! :cuss:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:38 pm »
Guys,

Please note the "if" qualifier in my original posting, as well as my reference to "time":

In time, if we do speak the truth and SP Technology products really do represent a new paradigm in loudspeaker performance; the world will ultimately come to realize it.

Just thought pointing this out might help avoid any ongoing controversy.  Folks tend to "read past" certain things at times.

Bill,

PLEASE!!! In no way was I referring to you... or any of our other friends and owners.  In fact, the opposite is true.  I have detected a "tone" of, well...let's just say "not as nice as they could be" from some of the skeptics out there.  I won't even say if it was here or Audiogon either - they know who they are - if they are.  Besides, I may have interpreted it incorrectly to begin with.  So... I'm not naming names - period.

The point is that I believe in leading by example.  If the SP Tech "group" is always operating at the highest levels of ethical communication, any potential "stone throwers" will identify themselves as such rather quickly and thereby disqualify themselves at the onset. 

The wise man NEVER... EVER... gives the enemy a handhold.  We must ever remain aware of the fact that "the wolf is always at the door."  There will be folks looking to find "error" in our statements as an excuse to throw mud and elicit a return response from us in their efforts to disqualify our statements.  We are making very bold and controversial statements regarding the performance of SP Tech products.  We must be prepared for the backlash.

Oh...and please feel free to post here and elsewhere as much as you like. :thumb:  The only real reason to be reserved and hold back is if one has nagging doubts.  Never let the naysayers rain on your parade! :green:

Thanks ever so much for your efforts and...

Take care my friend,
-Bob