• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #1280 on: 9 Jan 2010, 09:46 pm »
Looking Good  :thumb:

RadioWonder

« Reply #1281 on: 10 Jan 2010, 12:26 am »
I placed one CBF on the circuit breaker feeding my A/V system.  I cannot get to the main wire bundle so I placed one on the main circuit breaker that feeds the whole house and I also placed one in the wall box behind the duplex feeding my system. 

I wish I could just jump ahead to day 30+.  Now the wait begins. 

Steve

Hi,Steve...
 Just take the screws out that hold the gray cover on your breaker panel. Carefully lift the cover from the panel. Set it on the floor.
Then you should have something like the photo below. Install CBF's with one or two wire ties.
If you don't feel safe doing this,hire an electrician to make the install. The main wire bundle provides a more dramatic sonic effect than the breakers(at least in my system it did).

You can also put another CBF on the panel "Earth Ground wire". As per a quote from Alan. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74160.0

My circuit breaker panel below(100 amp panel). Note, whoever wired the panel brought in three large red wires and a single large black one.
Then slopped some Green,White and Black tape on the main feeds. Just to pass inspection

jcoat007

« Reply #1282 on: 10 Jan 2010, 12:54 am »
This is great information!!!! 

I took the panel off, no problem.  I put the CBF on the incoming wire bundle, no problem.  I also put a CBF on the wires going into A/V circuit breaker.  I'm assuming this is better than being on top of the circuit breaker.  Alan???

Now, how do I know what the earth ground wire is?

RadioWonder

« Reply #1283 on: 10 Jan 2010, 01:11 am »
This is great information!!!!  I am going to go take a look to see if I can get the panel off. 

How do I know what the earth ground wire is?
In my house the Earth Ground is the "Bare Copper Wire" that goes from the panel to the outside of the house and connects to the clamp on the 6 foot copper clad ground rod I installed. I also put the largest wire size(Earth Ground) from the outside disconnect to the clamp on the 6 foot ground rod.

In the photo from Alan's website look at the "Bare Copper Wire" just to the right of the two "Main Black Wires", that is the "Earth Ground".

Note photo...Telephone Earth Ground and breaker panel Earth Ground. I used ("Circuit Works Silver Conductive Grease CW7100" which is highly conductive... Sorry for the mix up) on the outside Earth Ground connections. After I did this installation there was a nice sonic improvement to my two systems.

« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2010, 10:25 pm by RadioWonder »

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1284 on: 10 Jan 2010, 10:54 am »
Robert-

Lots of room to play with that wire shot...  maybe think about adding another CBF prior to the breaker in addition to the breaker.

Just a note....thermal grease breaks the strength of the magnetic field of the earth ground and is not recommended....use ProGold 100% solution on all grounding points.  The thermal grease acts as a insulator.  If you have to lift the ground do it via a quality isolation transformer w/ a built in thermal magnetic breaker.  Do not break the safety of the ground.

Steve-

Both the wire and breaker should be addressed.  As mentioned before, the CBF retunes the resonate character to anything it touches as long as it can magnetically couple, the breaker is one of the worst sounding parts in the electrical chain. The wire bundle is important to control the EM, but the breaker is important to control the part harmonics.  The same is said for the a/v duplex and non-a/v duplex on different circuits.

jcoat007

« Reply #1285 on: 10 Jan 2010, 03:11 pm »
Thanks Alan.  I will put the one CBF back on the circuit breaker feeding my A/V. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #1286 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:43 pm »
Alan the photo shows the CBF over two breakers. Should not they be horizontal not vertical ? Or am I confused ? thanks Another question is if one has only two prong outlets would a cheater plug have a negative effect since it is NOT grounded separately but through the neautral leg ?

charles

WilliaBe

« Reply #1287 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:26 pm »
Here is some useful CBF info that Alan Maher sent to me over the holidays while I was contemplating CBF placement options. Thought I would pass this on:

"The CBF works in three different planes.  First, the CBF retunes/repitches whatever it is attached to, meaning if it is attached to the main wire bundle it will repitch the frequency which is how it begins to expand the soundstage for audiophile jargon use.  Next, placing it on the individual circuit breaker itself is a wonderful place for repitching the application because circuit breakers sound like *&@# and need all the help they can get.  99% of your noise inside the box is a poor quality breaker.  With that said, the second stage of the filter is magnetic.  Using the natural material we absorb EMI (not RFI) from the application.  Stage three takes the EMI and converts it into a negative ion.  Unlike traditional information about negative ions and stereo equipment being a bad thing, our method is very natural and has zero side effects.  Traditional negative ion generation uses a negative ion generator and this procedure creates a static charge in the air for the conversion.  It is the static charge that breaks down rubber in your speakers over time.

jcoat007

« Reply #1288 on: 10 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm »
Alan the photo shows the CBF over two breakers. Should not they be horizontal not vertical ? Or am I confused ?

charles

Charles,

The bottom left CBF is over the main breaker to the house which is two breakers, so I just covered them both.  The upper right consists of two breakers, one feeds my A/V system, the other feeds another area of the house.  Because of the metal band on the breaker switches I do not know which is which, so I just covered them both. 

silverlight

« Reply #1289 on: 10 Jan 2010, 11:06 pm »
I think I recall reading somewhere quite a while back a suggestion to replace cheap breakers with better ones (topic indirectly raised again in WillaBe's quote of Alan's recent comments).
Can't remember if it was suggested before, but what are the best 15A and 20A breakers to replace/install into an existing panel (no plans in our current place to replace or upgrade the entire box, but will probably do that in the future in a different location)?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1290 on: 10 Jan 2010, 11:49 pm »
what are the best 15A and 20A breakers to replace/install into an existing panel (no plans in our current place to replace or upgrade the entire box, but will probably do that in the future in a different location)?

Square D and Cutler Hammer (CH series) IMO

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1291 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:04 pm »
We are designing a Facebook private community page this week. A link will be provided on my site in the next few days.  After the page is up and running it will be the only place on the web to find me if you have any questions.  Too many web sites for me to keep track of and my time in between gigs is limited...I think this is the best option.  Watch our site for more info and I think you all will be impressed with what we are going to offer.

Stay tuned....talk to you all on the flip side.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #1292 on: 11 Jan 2010, 09:18 pm »
I think I recall reading somewhere quite a while back a suggestion to replace cheap breakers with better ones (topic indirectly raised again in WillaBe's quote of Alan's recent comments).
Can't remember if it was suggested before, but what are the best 15A and 20A breakers to replace/install into an existing panel (no plans in our current place to replace or upgrade the entire box, but will probably do that in the future in a different location)?

NEC has lots of rules about which breakers can be put in what breaker box.  Many of these breaker rules involve very small print on the box or breaker or catalog.  In short if you can't find something in print that states that this breaker may go in that box, then it can't.

jcoat007

« Reply #1293 on: 11 Jan 2010, 11:01 pm »
Alan's Blog mentions that he can no longer answer question on this forum. 

Maybe because he's getting too much attention and he's not a sponsor. 

Anyway, check out his new facebook page if you are interested. 

RadioWonder

« Reply #1294 on: 11 Jan 2010, 11:18 pm »
Alan's Blog mentions that he can no longer answer question on this forum. 

Maybe because he's getting too much attention and he's not a sponsor. 

Anyway, check out his new facebook page if you are interested.

Alan has moved!!!

Alan's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Alan-Maher/100000620623011#/profile.php?v=wall&id=100000620623011

http://www.facebook.com/people/Alan-Maher/100000620623011