Had a small gathering at my place...

JohnR

« on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:23 pm »
Forgot to post about this :oops:

Had a few locals over to my place late last week to listen to my Jordan "minotaurs" (pic in Gallery, see link in sig). Along came Malcolm Fear, E-type Phil, and Bart who I don't think is on this site. Sorry for not inviting more folks over but my living room acoustics are terrible and so the speakers are in a small room. I'll get that sorted before too long I hope and have a few more folks along next time.

Anyway, a beautiful day as always around here, we had a barbie on the deck for lunch. As I recall all present were full-range fans, and liked the Jordans quite a lot. There was no sub, and in the room I moved them into they started off being quite forward, we messed about a bit including trying Mal's AKSA GK-1, adding more baffle step compensation to the drivers, and replacing the modded DIO with my Cal Alpha.

Later on we listened to my "ribbon on a stick" prototype which confirmed the lousy acoustics of my living room. Not too many other comments on those, I think they were being polite ;-)

Perhaps Mal will chime in.

Anyway, a jolly good way to spend Friday afternoon :thumb:

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2003, 10:07 pm »
Great day, nice BBQ (John, you need to do a Fire Lighting 101 course).
The Jordans are terrific. Image beautifully. If you want to go single driver, they are worth a look (now that Diatones are almost impossible to get). They did improve tonally after some mucking around.

Ribbons on a stick? I felt that the ribbons perhaps needed a baffle and were too far way from the bass/mid driver.  I couldn't get a satisfactory image. A brave man indeed who designs his own multi way speakers from scratch.

I 'd love to come over again when you have fiddled some more.