Is "Aussie Pie"

zachslc

Is "Aussie Pie"
« on: 15 Jul 2003, 06:54 am »
anythign like "warm apple pie"?  Is it soem sort of Australian term as an inside joke, or is it just a fun name for a board?

TG

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2003, 10:38 am »
I believe John probably chose it in honour of our esteemed (all rise please gentlemen) national dish, the individual hot meat pie.

Brings a tear to the eye :cry:

I'll have mine as floater with chips on the side mate, bewdy. :D

Oz_Audio

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2003, 10:59 pm »
Aussie initiation into manhood for both sexes is being able to eat a "4 and 20" (brand of meat pie) one handed without spilling any, at the footy!!

One is not a True Blue Man or Woman until they can do this wonderous thing!!

Andy G

with a beer in the other hand !!!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2003, 11:55 pm »
:D

JohnR

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2003, 02:43 am »
Let's not forget the many wonderful varieties of this delectable dish! From the old standby the "potato pie" (mashed potato on top instead of crust) and the "curry pie" which needs no sauce, through to "gourmet" pies such as lamb and "beef and burgundy" (from my local shop).

Thankfully no-one has invented the "fish and chip pie" yet (that I know of)  8)

Andy G

gees John ....
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2003, 03:29 am »
you haven't lived ..

take a tank loaf, break in half and rip out and eat or throw the insides,

fill with fish and chips

EAT !!!!

EchiDna

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2003, 05:44 am »
Quote from: TG
I believe John probably chose it in honour of our esteemed (all rise please gentlemen) national dish, the individual hot meat pie.

Brings a tear to the eye :cry:

I'll have mine as floater with chips on the side mate, bewdy. :D

you cannot be from Sydney and enjoy a floater can you? I thought only Croweaters did those kind of sacriligeous (sp?) things to pies

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2003, 05:57 am »
"Croweaters" ? Learn a new word every day. And the meaning? :?

EchiDna

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2003, 06:40 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
"Croweaters" ? Learn a new word every day. And the meaning? :?

People from the state of South Australia are often called "croweaters" - the origin? no idea, sorry!

but they love their meat pies floating in a bath of pea soup, which is just wrong if you ask me ;-)

Marbles

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2003, 06:53 am »
I knew a girl named "Crow"

speaking of Aussie pie   :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2003, 07:00 am »
I enjoy my pea soup with croutons ! 8)  I'd have the meat pie after my soup,with a Guinness. :lol:

TG

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2003, 08:52 am »
Quote from: EchiDna
you cannot be from Sydney and enjoy a floater can you? I thought only Croweaters did those kind of sacriligeous (sp?) things to pies

Oh nooooo, floaters have been around here for a long time.  There used to be a pie cart near Central Station that opened from 6pm until dawn and sold pea soup floaters & chips.  I believe he had been selling in the same spot since 1940.  Sadly no longer in existence  :bawl:

TG

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2003, 08:59 am »
People from the state of South Australia are often called "croweaters" - the origin? no idea, sorry!

It's from the magpie on the state coat of arms.  What are some of the other state nicknames? I can only think of four:
Sandgroupers = West Australians
Croweaters = South Australians
Banana benders = Queenslanders
Sydneysiders = New South Welshmen

What are Tasmanians, Victorians & Territorians called?

EchiDna

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2003, 11:24 pm »
Check it out: four 'n' twenty is becoming an Aussie again...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/20/1058639657123.html

JohnR

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2003, 09:56 am »
The article says:
According to the company's research, Australians are the world's biggest consumers of meat pies per capita, with each person on average eating more than 12 meat pies and a further 17 combined pastries, sausage rolls and party pies, per year.

What a disgrace!! Only twelve pies per year? What has happened to us as a nation of pie-eaters??

j/k :-) actually I don't eat pre-prepared pies only fresh ones from the local bakery. Are they any healthier for me? Dunno :oops:

TG

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:08 am »
Quote from: JohnR
actually I don't eat pre-prepared pies only fresh ones from the local bakery. Are they any healthier for me? Dunno :oops:

That's the other thing that doesn't come out in the article - I remember in me youth that there were only a few brands of pre-made pies: 4 & 20, Big Ben, Scotts, Sergeants,  hmm - that's all I can think of, but every little town in the country had a local bakery that produced a 1st rate meat pie and sold heaps every day.

The big boys may be getting out of the market (and a pox on them and their grubby commercial analyses of market trends - phooey!) but there are a lot of smaller companies making "boutique" pies and just as many local bakeries and hot-bread shops selling the old basic number.

3 cheers for the nation dish, I say, and to hell with the cholesterol :dance:

Andy G

gotta have.....
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:30 am »
..my regular Brumbies Steak and Mushroom pie.  sure its a chain, but they are baked on thr premises, YUM!!

bally

• http://www.kirrabilli.co.nz
Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:52 am »
There used to be a bakery in Mona Vale back in the early 80,s which made the best & largest pies ive had.They sold them with a spoon because you could,nt wrap your mouth around them.The Steak&mushroom was to die for.
Hey john R does the Newport Arms still exist?It was a fantastic pub back in late 70,s early 80,s.
Cheers
Bally

JohnR

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2003, 11:43 am »
Yep! The Arms is still there, to be honest I haven't been there since I got back :oops: but from the looks of the outside it's thriving! But I'll go there one day soon and report back. Most of the people I know live on the lower north shore or eastern suburbs, it's hard to pry people out of their neighbourhoods, for some reason it's a lot easier to drive from Newport to Crows Nest and back than the other way around :o

guest1231

Is "Aussie Pie"
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jul 2003, 01:51 pm »
Quote from: TG

It's from the magpie on the state coat of arms.  What are some of the other state nicknames? I can only think of four:
Sandgroupers = West Australians
Croweaters = South Australians
Banana benders = Queenslanders
Sydneysiders = New South Welshmen

What are Tasmanians, Victorians & Territorians called?

West Aussies are Sandgropers - no "u" in there, thanks.

Brad