Aussie Winter

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Aussie Winter
« on: 13 Jul 2003, 05:42 am »
Question for the Aussie's > Now that its summer in the US, its winter in Australia-correct? So whats a winter like down under ?  THANKS ! :)

JohnR

Aussie Winter
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2003, 06:04 am »
Depends where you are!!

Up north, it's probably as hot as ever. In Tasmania in the mountains, I almost froze my knackers off in summer! Here in Sydney, it's almost balmy during the days. A bit cold at night.

Andy G

yep, east caost of Oz is normally fairly mild.....
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2003, 01:34 pm »
...  but running down the coast at variable distances inland is a range of mountains called the Great Dividing Range.  Get up into the mountains or to the west of them and nights and mornings in winter are often pretty near freezing, I lived out there for 20 or so years, and it does get cold !!.  Not often snow except in the more southern highland areas though.

:drums:

bluesky

Aussie Winter
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2003, 06:44 am »
Hi Lonewolf

I live in Brisbane which is a bit more than half way up the eastern coast of Australia.  It's classified as subtropical.

Winters are great in Brisbane, they are dry and the days are warmish, about 20 to 22C each day.  Most days I still wear a loud Hawaain shirt, shorts and sandals (the national dress here in Queensland)! :lol:

But the nights can be a bit chilly.

Cheers, Ian

lonewolfny42

Aussie Winter
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2003, 06:50 am »
Hey ,Thanks  for your replys- I guess a big snowfall is out of the question-sounds like a great place !! :D

Andy G

the only real snow.....
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2003, 07:06 am »
falls in the Snowy Mountains (odd name hey !!) in the south of NSW and some of the higher regions of the range in Victoria.  They do get sporadic falls in many area on top of the range basically all the way up to Queensland.   (you will need a map I guess !!)

http://www.aussietourism.net/Aussietourism/aussietourism_map.html

Andy G

and if you are into skiing...
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2003, 07:16 am »

lonewolfny42

Aussie Winter
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2003, 07:23 am »
Now thats a winter !! :hyper:

lonewolfny42

Aussie Winter
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2003, 07:25 am »
http://hot-links.ws/    This is my Long Island ! :D

Oz_Audio

Aussie Winter
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2003, 11:09 pm »
We do not have Summer or Winter here in Darwin, we have the "Wet" and the "Dry".

It is winter in the rest of Oz at the moment, but we are in the "Dry" 30C (86F) every day down to 22C (70F) at night. We have not had any rain for 3 months and we will not get any until November, hence the "Dry" season.  In the Wet we get about 3m of rain every year and up to 18 inches in one day hence the "Wet" season!

The best time of year to visit and see our National Parks, go fishing etc.

Mark

bally

• http://www.kirrabilli.co.nz
Aussie Winter
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2003, 12:33 am »
Just to give you a different perspective Christchurch NZ had a dawn temp of -8 degrees Cent.last week plus it snowed for 2 days in town.Mt hutt about 1-30hrs drive from here had an 80cm dump of snow.A frost nearly every morning and struggle to get to double figures but at least the suns out.
Cheers
peter

TheeeChosenOne

Aussie Winter
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2003, 01:00 am »
So what city in Australia has the best mix of it all:  culture, year-round great climate, beauty, friendly people, etc?.......

Rocket

i'm gonna get in trouble with this one...
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2003, 01:18 am »
hi guys,

i'll probably upset a few people but perth is a very nice city and also has great beaches.  the population is about 1.25 million and the weather is about the best of all the capital cities.  in fact i could go out today just wearing shorts and a tshirt if i wanted to.

there is one major minus in my opinion perth is on the west coast and it is about 4000klms away from sydney.

brisbane would be at the top of the list because it is a lot more accessible to the citizens of the east coast and lots more attractions.

regards

rocket

KKM

Aussie Winter
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2003, 03:09 pm »
Hi Guys,
Visiting Autralia for the first time in mid-August to Sydney and Cairns for 2 weeks. How is the water off Cairns in August? Being winter we were afraid it might be a little chilly to go snorkeling.

Andy G

Cairns... winter....
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2003, 10:12 pm »
those 2 words don't really co-exist.  Enjoy your snorkling but do check with the locals about safety issues, there are sometimes some rather nasty sea creatures about, but i think mainly during summer.

Have Fun !!!

Andy G

Best City ???
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2003, 10:20 pm »
it depends on what you like doing really.

If you like the water, Brisbane is usable all year.

If you like the culture, probably Melbourne is tops.

Sydney is the best allrounder though I reckon, and has the benefit that it is more central. You have culture, great beaches (use a wetsuit in winter if you are a surfer), not too far to the snow, etc etc

Rocket

city comparisons
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2003, 01:01 am »
hi andy,

i agree sydney definitely has the best central location of all the capital cities in australia.

however i lived there for 5.5 years and it is a nightmare to navigate around the city.  i lived in westmead (my wife had a nice 2 bedroom apartment) and we went to a beach on the north shore once in all that time i was in sydney.  well after it took us almost 2 hours to get there i never went back again.  it was too much hassle.

although perth is isolated most places are within a 30 minute drive, like the beach, the city and on sundays there is almost no traffic to navigate through.

also sydney real estate prices have become ridiculous i could never afford to live there now.  i wish we hadn't sold the apartment in westmead.   :(

btw newcastle is a lovely city.

regards

rocket

Andy G

navigating Sydney?/
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2003, 02:24 am »
oh yeah  !!!
I know exactly what you mean !!
I grew up in the Sutherland Shire (40km south of cbd), luckily that part was reasonably sanely organised !!

Had to drop some speaker cabinet to a guy in Stanmore the other day, I'm still wondering how I found the place and made it back out again !!

I reckon Perth and Newcastle might be fairly similar, except for the fact that Newcastle is an ex-industrial town and still has aspects from its past that need looking after.

lonewolfny42

Aussie Winter
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2003, 05:30 am »
Quote from Rocket "also sydney real estate prices have become ridiculous i could never afford to live there now." Could you give me  some info of prices real estate is going for  there. By the way, this thread has turned out to be very informative,THANKS ! :D

Andy G

house prices.....
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2003, 05:35 am »
.....  not really sure myself.  If you do a search for a map of Sydney (or wherevere), then compare areas with prices from the link below, you may be able to get some idea.

http://www.ljhooker.com.au/