HiFi News & Record Review setup record

randytsuch

« on: 10 Oct 2005, 07:42 pm »
So, I have built a turntable, and just finished building a hagtech cornet.

So far, I am using a mirrored protractor to set up my cartridge.  I have a dynavector 10x5 on a rega 250 arm.

Do I need to get the HiFi News & Record Review setup record to accurately set up my cartridge?

Is this being anal?

Randy

Bemopti123

« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2005, 09:48 pm »
Unless you use a Rega cartridge, something might be off.  I think if you had bought a Rega turntable with arm attached, this would not be an issue, but due to the variables of making, attaching and aligning carts, you will have to go through an initial set up.  Man, I had to go almost retail for my arm, because of my "newbeism" when it came to different arms and cartridges.  The distributor took a good 1-2 hours getting the arm with place back on a hole for the same brand of arm, getting it aligned and everything else.  The tools he had used, cartridge weight, alignment disc, leveling bubbles etc...and the basic setting up of weights for anti skating was nothing to sneer at.

No Randy, you are not being anal.  Perhaps, you may better call it "sensible."

Paul K

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2005, 10:50 pm »
Nothing wrong with checking the cart through as many parameters as possible.  Be certain to use a Baerwald geometry protractor to align dynavector carts on Rega arms, it's what works best.  The Rega protractor uses the Stevenson geometry, which is not as good for Dynavectors.  I've aligned dynavector carts both ways and Baerwals sounds much better in my Rega arm.

Michael

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2005, 12:03 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Nothing wrong with checking the cart through as many parameters as possible.  Be certain to use a Baerwald geometry protractor to align dynavector carts on Rega arms, it's what works best.  The Rega protractor uses the Stevenson geometry, which is not as good for Dynavectors.  I've aligned dynavector carts both ways and Baerwals sounds much better in my Rega arm.

Michael

I used this protractor to set up my cartridge
http://turntablebasics.com/align.html
But I don't know what geometry it is based on.  I guess I will search over at AA and see if it says there, otherwise I will email the place and ask them.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Randy