Upgraded Cartridge - More Skipping?

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
« on: 25 Sep 2005, 09:14 pm »
Hi guys,
As some may know, I just bought a brand new Grado Platinum cartridge. It gives a much more beautiful sound and it's so much more rich in the midrange.

However, for some reason, my records are skipping like they haven't before. Many records which I thought played okay now seem to skip at odd places. There is no real order to the skipping - sometimes in the outter grooves, sometimes in the inner grooves. My newer LPs, like my MoFi and Classic Records pressings, play fine without a hitch. Other old, used ones play well too -- but not as steady as my older cartridge.

Is it possible that, with the more accurate tracking, more problems with the vinyl are revealed? Are my records skipping more because my cartridge is better? It is aligned as perfectly as I can get it, all the records I play are vacuum-cleaned, and the VTA is perfect. My anti-skate is set correctly. The only other thing I can think of is that the lower quality of the vinyl and its age are just being revealed more with this new cartridge.

Is this the case? I'd love a remedy to this problem if there is one! Thanks in advance for any help, as it's greatly appreciated!!

randytsuch

« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2005, 04:27 am »
Not sure if I can help, but how did you align it?  What alignment tools did you use?  I would think alignment problems would cause mistracking.

What is your tracking force set to.  You may want to increase the tracking force to as much as grado recommends.

If you can't get help here, I would ask over an vinyl at audioasylum.  It is a very active forum for vinyl.

Randy

audiobomber

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2005, 02:07 pm »
Skipping can result from incorrect VTF, incorrect anti-skate or a TT that isn't level. It can also be due to a sticky arm bearing.

I always used 1.5g with Grados, and never had a tracking problem except just before I changed them out (ie in the fifth year). Anti-skate is very tricky to get right. I highly recommend the Hi-Fi News test record so you can hear exactly what's going on. It has superb anti-skate tracks.

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2005, 09:41 pm »
I second the comments re: checking alignment and using the Hi-Fi News test record. Good luck solving your hopefully temporary dilemma.

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2005, 10:31 pm »
I would try kicking up the tracking force above 1.5.

WEEZ