Experience with OBS and Planar

tomeh

Experience with OBS and Planar
« on: 2 May 2022, 03:10 am »
I apologise if this has been discussed, but I can't search yet.

Does anyone have experience with both OBS and planars?

And if so, can you detail the major and minor observations?

I'm thinking of positioning in the same room?

Apparent image size and height?

Best regards,

Tom eh

mcgsxr

Re: Experience with OBS and Planar
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2022, 02:24 pm »
For a decade I ran OB DIY speakers using an 8 inch Visaton b200 and a 12 inch woofer.

I later ran both MMG and 1.6QR Maggies for just over a year.

Similarities include how music flows from speakers without a box, that they fill a room differently, and that I really enjoyed both.

Differences for me mostly came down to that Maggies are not high efficiency, and the Visaton's were.  That simply meant that the same amp would never work for both (used an SEP EL84 amp for the OB's, and a Crown XLS1500 pro amp for the Maggies).

I would say that overall they position similarly (need space off the wall behind them - I found 36-42 inches the sweet spot for all) and will require a lot of time playing with toe in for best sound (at least they all did for me).

The 1.6QR's did drive the largest image, but I think that could simply be that they were the tallest speakers I have ever used.

Loved them all, and would never have sold the 1.6's but my cats found climbing them irresistable.  And I could not watch great speakers suffer!  They have not even looked sideways at my current Dynaudio Focus 110a's for the record.