spatial audio baffle mod

ric

spatial audio baffle mod
« on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:44 pm »
Hi, I have the older M3 turbo S, and had been wondering how or why some speakers have rounded edges vs. square edges and if it affects the sound. Since I have carpentry tools I ended up ripping a 2x4 lengthwise into two equal pieces with a bevel at around 30 degrees or so, and then made a quick three sided frame that I could slide over the speakers for A/B purposes.
   What has surprised me is that the sound quality is noticeably better with imaging and bass notes being improved. But, according to Linkwitz:
--"I have no evidence that even strong diffraction effects have significant audible consequences, except for the transition region, the baffle step, where radiation goes from omnidirectional to forward firing.
And: "the absolute width of a cabinet is not the critical parameter that many think it is.
--the magnitude of any diffraction effect is greater at the low frequency end of a drivers range.
--benefits of edge round only when a radius is greater than 1/8th the wavelength (1/2" radius begins to diffuse at freq. above 3.4kHz
--with most speaker cabs the radius or chamfer is acoustically too small and is primarily cosmetic.

Since I am almost completely ignorant when it comes to speaker measurement, can anyone offer an explanation other than placebo affect, since I have listened A/B for three days now and definitely prefer the added chamfered 2x's.