Horn Speakers or Open Baffle ???

izzy2

Horn Speakers or Open Baffle ???
« on: 25 Dec 2021, 05:45 pm »
I have Avantgarde Duos & I was wondering if anyone went from horns to open baffle. They both have such a following.
Any thoughts???

mick wolfe

Re: Horn Speakers or Open Baffle ???
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2021, 05:54 pm »
I wouldn't trade one for the other. IOW, don't sell your horns to move to OB or vice versa. In that situation and if you're curious, why not do both? (separately of course) Variety is truly the spice of life, even in audio.

rooze

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2021, 06:36 pm »
I went from Klipschorns to Spatial Audio. I haven’t had the Spatial Audio for long so I’m still trying to dial them in and adapt myself to their sound.
There’s no real point in recommending one over the other here, since they’re both so different in the way they present music. The Khorns are open, dynamic, deliver tremendous scale and authority and place the band in your room, warts and all. The dipoles are more refined, quite dynamic but not in the same camp as the Horns. Bass is deeper and more powerful but less natural than with the Khorns. Mids are more restrained, dialed-back, less transparent than the Khorns. The top end is airier and more extended, and also better integrated overall.

Like all speakers, both are flawed. Which particular set of strengths and weaknesses you prefer to live with will likely come down to your room and your own personal biases for how your music should sound.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2021, 07:47 pm »
I wouldn't trade one for the other. IOW, don't sell your horns to move to OB or vice versa. In that situation and if you're curious, why not do both? (separately of course) Variety is truly the spice of life, even in audio.

Agreed. But if I had a pair of Avantgarde Duos, I wouldn't be considering any other type of speakers.

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2021, 01:18 am »
Agreed. But if I had a pair of Avantgarde Duos, I wouldn't be considering any other type of speakers.

Well, there is this