Zu Omen mk2 (DW+)

mick wolfe

Re: Zu Omen mk2 (DW+)
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jun 2020, 03:39 pm »
In regard to the Omen DW's.... don't overlook  the snubbing resistors as a very inexpensive "tuning" option.  In my case, I find them essential.

mick wolfe

« Reply #41 on: 17 Jun 2020, 04:51 pm »
I might also add that the Clarity cap upgrade takes the DW to another level as well. Another "add-on" I consider a must if you want to hear the true potential of the DW.....at least in my experience.

mallums

« Reply #42 on: 19 Sep 2020, 06:36 pm »
Just to put my "2 cents" in, the Dirty Weekends and the Omen Mk II are two different, though similar looking, speakers. Even with the addition of the clarity caps in the DWs, they are not the same. I owned a pair of DWs w/ clarity caps for almost a year, then I upgraded to the new Omen MK IIs (with the new drivers) and the difference is immediately noticeable. That being said, so is the price, so there's that to consider. The DWs with all available upgrades are fantastic speakers for slightly over $1K, so I am not denigrating it at all. I loved mine.

To "meander" back to the actual topic of this thread, I had a Rotel RA-1570 that I ran through both the DWs and the Omens, but just couldn't find any love for that pairing. A Zu speaker owner suggested the Peachtree integrated amps and spoke very highly of that pairing. I picked up an old Peachtree Nova hybrid IA and it really was night and day. I've heard very good things about Rotel, but this pairing was just flat and lifeless.

When I get my "big boy pants" I'm either going with one of those Primaluna EVO IAs or a Schiit Freya+ with some sort of equivalent power amp. I've heard a number of good things about the Freya+.  Cheers!

AvsFan

« Reply #43 on: 22 Oct 2020, 09:49 pm »
Just to put my "2 cents" in, the Dirty Weekends and the Omen Mk II are two different, though similar looking, speakers. Even with the addition of the clarity caps in the DWs, they are not the same. I owned a pair of DWs w/ clarity caps for almost a year, then I upgraded to the new Omen MK IIs (with the new drivers) and the difference is immediately noticeable. That being said, so is the price, so there's that to consider. The DWs with all available upgrades are fantastic speakers for slightly over $1K, so I am not denigrating it at all. I loved mine.

To "meander" back to the actual topic of this thread, I had a Rotel RA-1570 that I ran through both the DWs and the Omens, but just couldn't find any love for that pairing. A Zu speaker owner suggested the Peachtree integrated amps and spoke very highly of that pairing. I picked up an old Peachtree Nova hybrid IA and it really was night and day. I've heard very good things about Rotel, but this pairing was just flat and lifeless.

When I get my "big boy pants" I'm either going with one of those Primaluna EVO IAs or a Schiit Freya+ with some sort of equivalent power amp. I've heard a number of good things about the Freya+.  Cheers!

How ironic that I see the ZU Dirty Weekend thread after I post the thread on the Soul Supreme.

AvsFan

« Reply #44 on: 26 Oct 2020, 07:19 pm »
My order for a pair of Dirty Weekends with Jupiter Cap upgrade should be here sometime in November.
Ferrari Red mirrored high gloss finish too! Am super excited!

AvsFan

« Reply #45 on: 28 Oct 2020, 03:17 pm »
So I don't know whether to talk about it on this thread or start a new thread about it. But plain and simple. What amps have you ran with your Dirty Weekends, and what amps are you using at the present time and are you completely happy with them or are you wanting a little more?

1.Started with just a plain old Pioneer Elite AVR. Sounded good.
2. Moved on to a little TPA Chip amp, the Allo Volt +, that's where things got real. Even though it's as budget as it gets, high on quality! I still have that amp today.
3. Wanted more power, so got a NuForce STA-200. Got real again. Quality was there but man the jump up in power, the ZU's really responded. The Aloo Volt + actually had more intimacy and better tone but the STA-200 had power and handled bass better.
4. Cherry Amps STM. Now we're talking! The STM catapulted the Dirty Weekends performance and really showed me what they were capable of.
5. Why not, went to Cherries top of the line Golden Cherry monoblocks. End game! Period. Best amps I have ever owned by far! These things are both powerful and graceful. They sound just as good at low volumes as they do at high volumes. Very Non Class D sounding. Very analog and smooth. But man do they control the 10" driver on the ZU's and the ZU's crave that. These amps pound out deep, clean, accurate, articulate hard hitting, visceral bass. Mark my words, I know I go through gear like girlfriends, but these amps and Dirty Weekends are keepers. Get back to me one year from today and see if I still own both.

I am still very curious about the AVA SET 400 amp. Not to replace the Cherries, but to add to another system. If I do end up with the SET 400, you better believe I will give it a go with the Dirty Weekends.

Also, I have used some very high quality, low powered SET amps with my ZU's. And at moderate volumes with most music, they were magical but for sure bass was a lot looser and bloated. Although really great amps, not my choice for the ZU's. Seriously, feed them good clean, quality high power, and you will experience what the Dirty Weekends are all about.

GeneS

« Reply #46 on: 28 Oct 2020, 03:35 pm »
     I’ve paired my Omen DW’s with a Benchmark AHB2 and a pair of Odyssey Stratos monoblocks (not at the same time!).
I’m probably spoiled, but I’m underwhelmed. Still looking for that magic combination. I’ve heard the Zu’s like tubes, so I may try that. I know that they can sound good, because I’ve heard it. I just haven’t made it happen in my own home.
They are pretty, though (electric blue)!!

AvsFan

« Reply #47 on: 28 Oct 2020, 03:52 pm »
     I’ve paired my Omen DW’s with a Benchmark AHB2 and a pair of Odyssey Stratos monoblocks (not at the same time!).
I’m probably spoiled, but I’m underwhelmed. Still looking for that magic combination. I’ve heard the Zu’s like tubes, so I may try that. I know that they can sound good, because I’ve heard it. I just haven’t made it happen in my own home.
They are pretty, though (electric blue)!!

Yeah, it's all about synergy, I kept trying until I got what I was looking for.
You have electric blue as well? That's a great finish!

GeneS

« Reply #48 on: 28 Oct 2020, 04:06 pm »
 :thumb: Stunning. Absolutely gorgeous! I actually bought them because they matched the room they are in!

AvsFan

« Reply #49 on: 28 Oct 2020, 04:28 pm »
:thumb: Stunning. Absolutely gorgeous! I actually bought them because they matched the room they are in!

Very nice! I actually matched the room to the speakers. They are usually in my home theater room. But are in my two channel room for now until I get my new DW's.

genjamon

« Reply #50 on: 28 Oct 2020, 04:29 pm »
Gene, I’d strongly recommend some toe-in. Looks like you’re firing them straight forward. I have found with this style of speaker (10” eminence handling midrange - both Zu and Tekton Lore) that having them fire just a bit behind the listener’s head is best. So that you can see the inside side baffle of the cabinet just slightly from the seating position.

AvsFan

« Reply #51 on: 28 Oct 2020, 04:34 pm »
Gene, I’d strongly recommend some toe-in. Looks like you’re firing them straight forward. I have found with this style of speaker (10” eminence handling midrange - both Zu and Tekton Lore) that having them fire just a bit behind the listener’s head is best. So that you can see the inside side baffle of the cabinet just slightly from the seating position.

I have mine toed in for sure.

And when you say "Behind the listeners head" what do you mean by that?

genjamon

« Reply #52 on: 28 Oct 2020, 05:54 pm »
I mean so that the point at which the direct paths of sound from each speaker converge (the point of the triangle between each speaker and listening position) is actually behind the listener’s head. In other words, the speakers are not pointing directly at the listener.

AvsFan

« Reply #53 on: 28 Oct 2020, 05:56 pm »
I mean so that the point at which the direct paths of sound from each speaker converge (the point of the triangle between each speaker and listening position) is actually behind the listener’s head. In other words, the speakers are not pointing directly at the listener.

Gotcha. That makes sense and that's pretty much how mine are set up.

genjamon

« Reply #54 on: 28 Oct 2020, 06:21 pm »

AvsFan

« Reply #55 on: 31 Oct 2020, 08:58 pm »

The current edition Dirty Weekends use the exact same drivers that are in the Omen MKII.

AvsFan

« Reply #56 on: 15 Mar 2021, 01:59 pm »
New ZU's set to ship today!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #57 on: 15 Mar 2021, 02:47 pm »
I found this set up offered improved bass. The longer feet ( carriage bolts ) in front with shorter feet in back also gave a tilt to the enclosure. With that back tilt the tweeters are aimed at one's ears.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #58 on: 15 Mar 2021, 02:55 pm »

AvsFan

« Reply #59 on: 15 Mar 2021, 02:56 pm »
I found this set up offered improved bass. The longer feet ( carriage bolts ) in front with shorter feet in back also gave a tilt to the enclosure. With that back tilt the tweeters are aimed at one's ears.

Thanks. Is that your current set up or an old one? I thought you're all about OB.  :D

Where can those bolts be found?