JJAZ Amp Tour comes to GAS

Scott F.

« on: 26 Oct 2004, 11:28 pm »
Hi Guys,

Wayne from Bolder Cable has been kind enough to offer up the JJAZ ICEamps for limited time audition for the gang. I talked to Steve about hosting the tour (since he was planning on hosting the next session) and he said YES!

If you haven't seen the info on the ICEamps here's the link in Bolder Circle.
Info
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13440
Tour
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13899

Not quite sure when the gathering will take place. It will depend when the amps show up. I'm sure Wayne will make a post here to let us know when they are on the way.

As I hear, Vasu has the 100 watt AKSA amp that is making the rounds also. Might be cool to do both at the same time.

Keep watching this post for more details.

vpolineni

« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2004, 11:37 pm »
Scott,
  I'll be bringing the aksa 100n+ to steve's house this friday... hopefully the amps will be there in time.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2004, 12:45 am »
Hello Guys,

The amps are still in NC. I don't think they will be able to make it to St. Louis for this weekend.

They might be able to make it for next weekend.

If that won't work, then I will try to have them sent to Texas first and then they can come your way.

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:00 am »
I'm a 'hi-fi slut'.

Just let me know where to show up and when.

:smoke:

I've "heard this act before", and I want another listen.  :wink:

Regards,

DeadFish

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2004, 04:19 am »
Hi Wayne,

I think this weekend would have been too quick for Steve (big assumption here). If you don't mind, lets wait for Steve to either post or PM you before we commit to a firm date. He's was off watching the Cards take it on the chin (again) tonite. He should post something tomorrow AM sometime.

steve k

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2004, 01:01 pm »
Hi Wayne,
Let's shoot for the following weekend (Nov. 5, 6 and 7). Let us know if you can do that. We appreciate the opportunity to hear these beauties.

Any particular day work best for the GAS gang? I'm off around noon on Friday the 5th, so we could do it Friday afternoon, Friday evening, Saturday afternoon or evening, or Sunday afternoon. Let's here what works good for everyone.

These babies should really make my "new" MG IIIA's sing like banshees. Thanks to Mike D (who let me audition them), I've added a set of Paul Speltz' Zero Autoformers to the mix with really superior results. They give the VTL's much more control over these monsters with lower distortion and much greater bass control and resolution.

Should be fun for you all to hear the difference between various speaker impedances--they're quite astounding. Let's hear from you all. Vasu, I'll see you Friday.

Go Cards.   :oops:

steve k

sturgus

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2004, 01:49 pm »
I also would like to say thank you to Wayne for being so kind. They way things are nowdays it is much harder to hear new equpment. Fridays always works for me. Hey Steve did you get your stands yet? If you have an open chair on friday I would love hear the amps Vasu is bringing.
Sturgus

bmed

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2004, 04:35 pm »
What's this? Next weekend?  I can't believe it, I'm not working, I can actually make a meeting!!!!!!  I'm good for Friday evening on.

Steve, I'm looking forward to hearing the new Maggie's.

Thanks Wayne for the giving us the opportunity to hear new equipment!  I can't wait to hear them with the Maggies.

GO CARDS!!!!!

Brad

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2004, 04:54 pm »
I sent a PM to Inscrutable about shipping the amps to Steve. Hopefully they will arrive in plenty of time for some warm-up.

There will be four boxes. Three with amps and one full of cables. There should be enough stuff so you can hook up all three amps a run a passive bi-amp system with 4 Kw of power. Maybe you can hook them up to Deadfish's Altecs so they can hear you cheer in Boston :lol:

I do ask that as many as possible of you guys post your impressions of the amps and cables. Maybe you might want to all chip in to help pay for the shipping to the next audition. The four boxes with $2500.00 of insurance each will run between $60.00 to $100.00 depending on where they go next.

Blackmore

JJAZ
« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2004, 05:47 pm »
I'm actually free on Friday night, November 5th.  I'd love to hear the amps and I'll help with the shipping costs.  Steve, do you want me to bring the door prizes this time?????

steve k

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2004, 10:07 pm »
Well it looks like Friday night, Nov. 5 is the preferred time so far. I'm sure there's something we can throw on the barbie. There will be cause for celebration then--NO MORE FRIGGIN POLITICAL ADS!!!!!!!!!!  :bounce:  :beer:  :beer:  :bounce:

That's reason enough for a party in my book!

Thanks for the offer on the shipping, Mark. I figured we'd just pass the hat. You're more than welcome to bring door prizes. I'll pick up the food and beer. Anyone else wishing to bring other mind altering or other consumables are more than welcome.

Brad, I'm glad you can make this one. I've forgotten what you look like! (Not really).  :lol:

Scott, Sturgus or Deadfish, if any of you can bring an active crossover for the night, we can biamp the Maggies since we're going to be awash in digital power. This is going to be fun! :dance:

steve k

DeadFish

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2004, 12:41 am »
THat friday sounds great to me, Steve.
Alas, my crossover is hard wired.  
What do your maggies cross over at?
Mine are set for the Vandies, and ya gotta get out the soldering stuff to change it.  
Still, sounds like the temptation to do it is pretty severe.... :wink:
Gotta be sweet to the wife for more than a week to let me out and 'play', huh?   :D

Lookin' forward to it!

Regards,
DF

Mike D

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:27 pm »
Thanks fellas for all of the kind words on the previous posts.  :-)

Friday the 5th will be unlikely, but possible, for me due to an all day festival at SIUC on the 6th.  It is the IMEA district band festival.  

What time will the amps and crossovers be there?

steve k

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:44 pm »
Wayne will send me tracking info once the amps ship. Once I know their arrival time I'll let you know. Maybe you can come by earlier if the amps are there in time?
steve k

Mike D

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2004, 06:44 pm »
Good idea.  I told my wife about the next GAS meeting being next Friday.  Everything looks good so far.  I may just leave straight from work and get to your place around 6:00.  Is that too early?  There is a remote chance that I would be able to get there earlier if I move my private lessons to a different day.

steve k

« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2004, 07:44 pm »
6 is fine. Still no word from Wayne on the shipping. Hopefully they'll be here by Friday but if not we can still find something to make noise with. :lol:
I'll have the AKSA Nirvana Plus amp so we'll be able to listen to it next Friday before I ship it out.
Then there's the Autoformers to play with. It'll be like Christmas morning when we was kids!  :bounce:  :bounce:
steve k

Mike D

« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2004, 08:25 pm »
sweeeeeeeeeet

steve k

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2004, 02:45 pm »
Hey guys, anymore coming Friday night? I need to get my burger and brat and beer count together. Sturg, Vasu and I gave the Aspen AKSA 100 Nirvana + amp a spin Friday night and this is a fine amp. (Check my mini-review on the Aspen site).

We should be in for an interesting mix of tubes, tubes with Zero Autoformers, AKSA and Ice amps for a great comparison of old fashioned tubes and current SS design! For rock, this ASpen goes way louder than my VTL's. Bob, you should be here for this, I think Robin Trower will work well on this stuff. :lol:

Haven't heard from any more people--it's OK to come out now--the World Series is over. :oops:

BTW, Scott, did they let you out of Bean Town unscathed? :o

steve k

Scott F.

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2004, 03:38 pm »
Count me in.

Is there anything that you want me bring? Maybe the other AKSA (the 55 watter?).

The Boston fans we actually really nice. Sure, they gave us loads of crap but we actaully had lots of fun with them. We were sitting at the hotel bar Wednesday night giving the bartender and other Sox fans trouble. About the eighth inning he served us up a plate of (sour) grapes. It got a belly laugh from everybody in the bar. I guess I've got to buck up on the bet too  :roll:  :banghead:

steve k

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2004, 04:10 pm »
Sour grapes--that's a good one!

I'm with you on the bet.

Sure, you can bring the AKSA and if you have an active crossover that you think will work, we could biamp with the AKSAs and maybe with the JJAZ amps as long as they don't set my speakers on fire! :o

I'll give you a call on the biamp business--it's all new to me but I can tell you what the maggie manual says about it. Should be fun.
steve k