Spray-foaming my new attic remodel and a few questions on what look for...

jriggy

I am doing an attic finishing project and we are ready for the insulation...

We have 2x6 rafters, 24" apart (on average. 90 y.o. house), with a ridge vent at the top of the roof.

We are going to have spray foam installed... Location is Indianapolis IN.

My questions:

Should they 'seal' the roof cavities with 3+ inches of foam or more?  OR should they uses those inserted vent channels all the way up from eave to top ridge vent, letting the shingles breath? I have heard conflicting reports here but I think the information now is to let the roof breath to prolong the life of the asphalt shingles. ???

I should add that we have NO eaves on our home! It is a brick home and the rafters and facia board are [almost] even with the exterior brick. There does seem to be a smidgin of light that gets through in almost every well (it is not air tight by any means), so there would be some air flow I imagine but not the amount if the house had an eave overhang.

What else can I do/add after the foam is installed, to increase the R value in the remaining space? I have heard thinning out R13 batting to fit (lots of work that would be!). Or maybe those foam sheets cut and snugged in there? That seems like it would be very tricky due to the uneven texture of the spray foam surface.

What should I look to hear or expect in this stage on the build and what can I do myself after the spray-in to increase the insulating properties???

I am acting as my own contractor, doing/having done, one step at a time. This has been a huge learning experience and this is a very important stage that I want to be done right.

And for those that might remember from a year and a half ago... No. This is no longer going to be a dedicated listening room... It was a hard decision to make but will suit our home and needs much better.

Any and all help would be much appreciated

Jason

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
The foam should be used to isolate the living space from the attic, not on the underside of the roof.  Do you have gable vents?  Somewhere I read that the ridge vent area should roughly match the gable vents for proper air flow, otherwise you won't get maximum benefit.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Jason, this is a huge subject with many differing opinions...but I'll bet you knew that!

I'm pressed for time now, but in essence a "hot roof"(Google it) must be very comprehensive in it's approach. Many ways it can be compromised and cause problems.

Without knowing all the details, in an old house I was not prepared to reroof, I'd create a vent channel from eves to peak in rafter bays and foam below that. If possible I'd fur down across rafters to gain more insulation depth. Pay attention to air sealing.

Post your query here to get the opinions of some experienced remodelers.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/breaktimeclass/start

Need to run, more later.

jparkhur

I had the same issue and went through a few contractors.  My house is 100 years old and we were in the process of gutting and remodeling.  Here is what happened.  I had a contractor insulate the entire ceiling and knee wall with batt insulation, wrap it and tap it with no channels from the eves to the tip of the roof where there was a vent.  THis was screwed up.  I go moister running on the inside of my drywall.  I was lucky and caught it, but we had to make some adjustments.  We have no space in the top of the room, as it is a cathedral type ceiling.  I had to insert "perfect vents" from the top of the roof and slide them down as far as I could get them and then re cap the roof.  At the same time I was having to redo my roof because of a tornado so it worked out.  I asked this old house this same issue and here is what they responded back.  In my case, batt the insulation in with "perfect vents" vents from the eves to the top of the ridge vent and you will be good.  I also used 1 inch foam board on the inside of my house ceiling to increase insulation before I put drywall up.  The cavity is only a 2x8 ceiling rafter. 

It has been three winters and summers and I am not having any issues after I had adjusted for the vents and ridge cap vent increase in area.  My upstairs has a separate 18 Seer rated AC unit and is actually small in square footage, so stays cool easy.  I have popped out some can lights ( they are sealed with caulk on the inside too) to see if there is any moister issues, NONE.  I am happy.  I did ask this old house about the closed cell foam spray in... Cost was a factor in their response, but they said this was the best method for what I had.   

JP

jparkhur

blues     
Q&A Forums Registered User
Posted: 5/16/2009 2:17 PM EST

Shingling, cathedral ceiling, spray foam and venting.
I can't seem to get the same answer out of two peeps on this question. I want to reshingle my old roof which will turn out to be a cathedral ceiling. I'm worried about the shingles being able to breath after I spray foam between the rafters and want to know the right method to proceed with venting, or if I need to vent at all if I can provide an air tight situation. I plan to use 2 lb closed cell foam and the roof sheathing is actually 1" boards, the shingles will be a 30 - 40 year asphalt shingle product. The actual rafters are also rough 2x4's so I should get 4"s of foam up there. The only thing I need to extend through the roof will be an abs plumbing stack. I'm also worried about the spacing that is present between these boards and if I need to be concerned with foam pushing up the shingles. This house is in Toronto, where we can suffer severe snow in the winter and blistering heat in the summer.
Mason     
Posted: 5/16/2009 4:40 PM EST

RE: Shingling, cathedral ceiling, spray foam and venting.
Venting the cathedral ceiling or attic space reduces the benefits of the sprayfoam. Research and field history has demonstrated that installing foam to the underside of the roof deck does not add significantly to the temperature of the shingles or lead to premature deterioration. However, a few shingle manufacturers have warranties that do not allow unvented attics and foam installed to the underside of the roof deck without ventilation.

Find a shingle manufacturer (such as GAF/ELK or Certainteed) that allows the use of this very beneficial approach to insulating attics and cathedral ceilings.
blues     
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:10 PM EST

Hi Mason, thank you for the reply, the only other thing that might concern me now is whether the foam, may push up the shingles from between the boards. If this could be a problem might their be a simple fix without sheathing the whole roof with plywood.
RogerM     
Posted: 5/17/2009 2:50 PM EST

You are correct to be concerned. SPF can expand out crevasses and warp the shingles. Forget about any shingle warranty if this happens. How much space is between the boards?
foamdude   
Posted: 5/19/2009 6:34 AM EST

i have done this application in the past,,with no untoward results,,,i would prefer not to do this app this way,,and i inform the customer that it is a compromised app...informed decisions rule!!
obviously the foam will bond with whatever is bridging the gaps in the planking,,roof felt,,shingles,,,whatever,,,i have not seen it warp shingles with even as much as a 1" gap...
foam will follow the "path of least resistance" in its rise,,,and if you spray the way you should,,an 1" pass or so your chance of pushing these shingles up are reduced,,,if you spray directly to them you are hosed on your warranty,,,no doubt about it,,,life is full of choices,,,some right,,some wrong,,but this is an existing old shingle roof so there is no warranty to worry about here,,and
you mention you plan to re-shingle the roof,,,why not strip and sheet it and shingle and then foam,,as it should be done??? or,,,
put a piece of tape across the gap and spray away if your freaked out about spraying into the gap..or stuff em with filerglass,,,makes a great block out,,,or this could be a perfect application for a froth pak,, like they try to sell for sidewalls,,you know the swelling foam that adds r value but does little to expand into the cracks and creaveses to create a true air barrier,,,caulk the gaps,,,neccessity is the mother of invention,,,
hope this helps,,

Peter J

• Hmmmm
To elaborate on what I earlier wrote.

Gotta figure out some way to vent at the eves. Without a convective airflow, the cavity under roof deck is largely useless.

Not sure how much you DIY, but air channel can be easy to create. 1X2 or similar nailed flat to sides of rafters and pushed up against bottom of roof deck. Then span across the rafter bay with strips of OSB or CDX plywood.

Foam is generally sold by the cubic or board ft. So if cost is an issue, you could "flash" with foam for an air seal and do something like dense pack cellulose. Fiberglass would be a last choice for me, but I admit prejudice.

If you've got the room to fur down the ceiling, definitely create space for more insulation. You might want to Google "Mooney wall". This method minimizes thermal bridging...another factor in the whole insulation picture.

To borrow a phrase from John Prine, when it comes to insulation it's a big ol' goofy world. But if it were me, I follow some path similar to this. Looks like JP ended up doing something close.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
I would suggest spending some time at www.greenbuildingadvisor.com. It's a great site for learning about building science and finding out what you might do in this situation.

For example, close cell foam would give you the highest r-value per inch, which you would want if you are intending to use the attic as living space. Spray foam would also allow you to air seal your attic space and bring all of the structure inside the conditioned space. You would not want to use ventilation channels in combination with space foam under any conditions. Moisture would condense on your sheathing and rot out your roof.

It really is a complicated decision, so don't rush it. Personally, I would look for alternatives to foam. I was all set to use it on my new house until I started to read horror stories about misapplication. Whether Open cellor closed cell, it is a two part system that must be installed precisely. Some formulations also include fire retardant that is a possible problem.

If you are considering a new roof, think about putting rigid foam on the outside of the sheathing. It would be a better all around option.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
You would not want to use ventilation channels in combination with space foam under any conditions. Moisture would condense on your sheathing and rot out your roof.

Can I assume you mean spray foam and not space foam or you've worded this incorrectly?

Closed cell polyurethane foam will act as a vapor retarder from the interior and when done correctly will essentially isolate the channel from the interior. The relative humidity inside the vent channel would be the same as exterior. Coupled with a convective airflow from eve to peak there is no disparate temperature or humidity that would promote condensation of water vapor on roof sheathing.

There certainly have been cases of rot where closed cell foam has be installed tight to underside of sheathing. Under the right conditions a breach in the vapor retarder (such as a crack in foam) allows interior humidity to condense on underside of roof deck and effectively traps it there.

jriggy

Thanks all for the responses so far... I must say, these two conflicting schools of thought have my head spinning!

The end result of this space will be a fully climate controlled living space with it's own HVAC system, as such, it is my thinking that negative impacts on the roof from continued exposure to high heat would not be an issue. ???

I have talked to one professional so far here at the house. This guy was here a year ago and he has changed his tune since then. Last year it was seal it up with no vents. This year, he admits, after talking to a bunch of roofers, he is now saying vent it. He is suggesting vent chutes...

Peter J,
  Is there a reason why you suggest building a vent, as opposed to just using these plastic vent chutes???

I'm sure I will have more questions once I process some of this. I will be asking a specialized forum, as was suggested, but very much welcome any continued conversation.

Thanks

Jason

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Thanks all for the responses so far... I must say, these two conflicting schools of thought have my head spinning!

The end result of this space will be a fully climate controlled living space with it's own HVAC system, as such, it is my thinking that negative impacts on the roof from continued exposure to high heat would not be an issue. ???

I have talked to one professional so far here at the house. This guy was here a year ago and he has changed his tune since then. Last year it was seal it up with no vents. This year, he admits, after talking to a bunch of roofers, he is now saying vent it. He is suggesting vent chutes...

Peter J,
  Is there a reason why you suggest building a vent, as opposed to just using these plastic vent chutes???

I'm sure I will have more questions once I process some of this. I will be asking a specialized forum, as was suggested, but very much welcome any continued conversation.

Thanks

Jason

Jason, I'm not sure I understand the highlighted paragraph above. The basic idea is as JP suggested; wrap the living space in air barrier and insulation, and isolate it as much as practical.

As for building the chutes as opposed to installing channels. I know I could get closer to a complete "isolation" (my words) of living space from roof deck The only contact of roof deck to interior would be through rafters themselves, not true of channels, which are kinda hit or miss by their nature.  I probably don't do a great job explaining it, perhaps envision a box suspended within a box for a more graphic mental picture.

Another possibility would be to build the "floor" of the vents out of sheet foam. In essence replacing the OSB or plywood with foam. Extruded polystyrene boards (exp, typically pink or blue), has more r-value per inch than expanded polystyrene (eps, looks like compressed beads or Styrofoam). The downside is cost. If you can't create more space below rafters, you wanna shoot for highest r-value possible in given space.

ctviggen

I'm going to buy a house and have the attic insulated.  I believe I'm going to use spray foam.  There is a lot of information indicating that spray foam applied directly to the exterior sheathing of a roof does not damage the shingles.

See
http://www.sprayfoam.com/spps/ahpg.cfm?spgid=66
http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/guides-and-manuals/irc-faqs/irc-faq-conditioned-attics/?searchterm=spray%20foam%20attic%20shingles
http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-149-unvented-roof-assemblies-for-all-climates/?searchterm=spray%20foam%20attic%20shingles

Note that the rafters attached to the external sheathing should also be covered, as wood has a low R value.  Additionally, in some locations, you need a fire barrier over the spray foam. 

ctviggen

Oops, should've said I'm going to create an unvented, insulated attic. 

See also

Will spray foam insulation on the underside of my roof sheathing void my roof warranty?

No, this is another myth. The suggestion here is that your roof sheathing and shingles will not last as long because the spray foam insulation increases the roof surface temperature, by preventing heat from radiating into the attic. While your roof surface temperature may be a bit higher, research shows that the temperature increase is only two to three degrees. For a Florida roof surface that can reach 160 degrees or more during the summer, this is a difference of less than two percent. By comparison, the roof temperature increase just from installing dark colored roof shingles is three times greater.

http://www.sprayfoamfacts.com/frequent-questions/

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
blues     
Posted: 5/16/2009 2:17 PM EST

Shingling, cathedral ceiling, spray foam and venting.
I can't seem to get the same answer out of two peeps on this question. I want to reshingle my old roof which will turn out to be a cathedral ceiling. I'm worried about the shingles being able to breath after I spray foam between the rafters and want to know the right method to proceed with venting, or if I need to vent at all if I can provide an air tight situation. I plan to use 2 lb closed cell foam and the roof sheathing is actually 1" boards, the shingles will be a 30 - 40 year asphalt shingle product. The actual rafters are also rough 2x4's so I should get 4"s of foam up there. The only thing I need to extend through the roof will be an abs plumbing stack. I'm also worried about the spacing that is present between these boards and if I need to be concerned with foam pushing up the shingles. This house is in Toronto, where we can suffer severe snow in the winter and blistering heat in the summer.
Mason     
Posted: 5/16/2009 4:40 PM EST

Venting the cathedral ceiling or attic space reduces the benefits of the sprayfoam. Research and field history has demonstrated that installing foam to the underside of the roof deck does not add significantly to the temperature of the shingles or lead to premature deterioration. However, a few shingle manufacturers have warranties that do not allow unvented attics and foam installed to the underside of the roof deck without ventilation.

Find a shingle manufacturer (such as GAF/ELK or Certainteed) that allows the use of this very beneficial approach to insulating attics and cathedral ceilings.
blues     
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:10 PM EST

Hi Mason, thank you for the reply, the only other thing that might concern me now is whether the foam, may push up the shingles from between the boards. If this could be a problem might their be a simple fix without sheathing the whole roof with plywood.
RogerM     
Posted: 5/17/2009 2:50 PM EST

You are correct to be concerned. SPF can expand out crevasses and warp the shingles. Forget about any shingle warranty if this happens. How much space is between the boards?
foamdude   
Posted: 5/19/2009 6:34 AM EST

i have done this application in the past,,with no untoward results,,,i would prefer not to do this app this way,,and i inform the customer that it is a compromised app...informed decisions rule!!
obviously the foam will bond with whatever is bridging the gaps in the planking,,roof felt,,shingles,,,whatever,,,i have not seen it warp shingles with even as much as a 1" gap...
foam will follow the "path of least resistance" in its rise,,,and if you spray the way you should,,an 1" pass or so your chance of pushing these shingles up are reduced,,,if you spray directly to them you are hosed on your warranty,,,no doubt about it,,,life is full of choices,,,some right,,some wrong,,but this is an existing old shingle roof so there is no warranty to worry about here,,and
you mention you plan to re-shingle the roof,,,why not strip and sheet it and shingle and then foam,,as it should be done??? or,,,
put a piece of tape across the gap and spray away if your freaked out about spraying into the gap..or stuff em with filerglass,,,makes a great block out,,,or this could be a perfect application for a froth pak,, like they try to sell for sidewalls,,you know the swelling foam that adds r value but does little to expand into the cracks and creaveses to create a true air barrier,,,caulk the gaps,,,neccessity is the mother of invention,,,
hope this helps,,

For a great article on how to insulate a vented or unvented cathedral ceiling, go to http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-build-insulated-cathedral-ceiling.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Can I assume you mean spray foam and not space foam or you've worded this incorrectly?

Closed cell polyurethane foam will act as a vapor retarder from the interior and when done correctly will essentially isolate the channel from the interior. The relative humidity inside the vent channel would be the same as exterior. Coupled with a convective airflow from eve to peak there is no disparate temperature or humidity that would promote condensation of water vapor on roof sheathing.

There certainly have been cases of rot where closed cell foam has be installed tight to underside of sheathing. Under the right conditions a breach in the vapor retarder (such as a crack in foam) allows interior humidity to condense on underside of roof deck and effectively traps it there.

Sorry about the "space" foam. The iPad gives everyone banana fingers.

I'm not an expert on these issues, and even the experts seem to disagree quite a bit. I got the impression that the OP was attempting to turn attic space into living space. If that's the case, you could fill the rafter bays with close cell for maximum R-value and also us open cell to air seal the rest of the space.

My concern with both foam products is that the materials would not be installed precisely, and there would be void or smells that would adversely affect the outcome. If it were possible, it would make more sense to install the foam on the roof. The rest of the space could be airsealed with can foam or perhaps Owens EnergyComplete or the similar Basf product.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
I'm going to buy a house and have the attic insulated.  I believe I'm going to use spray foam.  There is a lot of information indicating that spray foam applied directly to the exterior sheathing of a roof does not damage the shingles.

See
http://www.sprayfoam.com/spps/ahpg.cfm?spgid=66
http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/guides-and-manuals/irc-faqs/irc-faq-conditioned-attics/?searchterm=spray%20foam%20attic%20shingles
http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-149-unvented-roof-assemblies-for-all-climates/?searchterm=spray%20foam%20attic%20shingles

Note that the rafters attached to the external sheathing should also be covered, as wood has a low R value.  Additionally, in some locations, you need a fire barrier over the spray foam.

You're right, the shingle life thing is largely a myth. My greater concern is moisture control and where interior moisture will condense.
The Green Building article specifies that spray foam insulation applied directly on underside of roof deck is fine IF you use an airtight drywall installation.

Theory is one thing, practice in the field is quite another. Retrofitting a comprehensive airtight drywall system in an existing structure without taking the whole house to studs is going to be problematic at best. The vent channels provide a little leeway in terms of a less than perfect installation, which defines most remodels.

Building from scratch one could really optimize a structure for thermal performance, but in my experience two things frequently short circuit that; The added expense to do it right and the lack of knowledge and coordination on the part of those involved...all the way from the contractor down to the subcontractor's subs. There are exceptions, of course, but by and large the actual building of residential structures is just archaic, but that's another discussion.

As suggested in another post, it would be closer to ideal to build on top of existing roof, but I'm assuming that's not a possibility for OP.

As evidenced in the posts herein, there is much to concern oneself with. It's not clear cut as to "best" method, which is certainly confusing. The fact is every installation is going to be a little different.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
You're right, the shingle life thing is largely a myth. My greater concern is moisture control and where interior moisture will condense.
The Green Building article specifies that spray foam insulation applied directly on underside of roof deck is fine IF you use an airtight drywall installation.

Theory is one thing, practice in the field is quite another. Retrofitting a comprehensive airtight drywall system in an existing structure without taking the whole house to studs is going to be problematic at best. The vent channels provide a little leeway in terms of a less than perfect installation, which defines most remodels.

Building from scratch one could really optimize a structure for thermal performance, but in my experience two things frequently short circuit that; The added expense to do it right and the lack of knowledge and coordination on the part of those involved...all the way from the contractor down to the subcontractor's subs. There are exceptions, of course, but by and large the actual building of residential structures is just archaic, but that's another discussion.

As suggested in another post, it would be closer to ideal to build on top of existing roof, but I'm assuming that's not a possibility for OP.

As evidenced in the posts herein, there is much to concern oneself with. It's not clear cut as to "best" method, which is certainly confusing. The fact is every installation is going to be a little different.

PeterJ.

If you completely air seal the underside sheathing and perimeter of the attic space with enough foam (and it was installed correctly and you were bothered by the chemical), then airtight drywall would not be necessary, correct? If air can't contact the sheathing and cool, then it cannot condense out moisture. At least that how I'm understanding the building science. But as you said, it is really hard to know how to proceed. At this moment, I am trying to find an affordable way to insulate a cathedral ceiling without spray foam. Six inches of rigid polyurethane on outside would work, but for big $$$$.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
PeterJ.

If you completely air seal the underside sheathing and perimeter of the attic space with enough foam (and it was installed correctly and you were bothered by the chemical), then airtight drywall would not be necessary, correct? If air can't contact the sheathing and cool, then it cannot condense out moisture. At least that how I'm understanding the building science. But as you said, it is really hard to know how to proceed. At this moment, I am trying to find an affordable way to insulate a cathedral ceiling without spray foam. Six inches of rigid polyurethane on outside would work, but for big $$$$.

Theoretically I suppose that's correct, but building materials will always expand and contract at different rates and compromise that "perfect" seal. Better to keep household moisture out of rafter bay altogether... hence their drywall methodology.

There is another consideration that we haven't even touched on and that's location. Are you in a primarily heating or cooling part of the world. I've watched the recommendations go back and forth on several points over the years. Truth be told, I probably have a foot in yesterday and one in tomorrow. It's hard to argue methods that have proven themselves over time, but that shouldn't mean we ignore advancing technology. I always assume that moisture will enter the places it shouldn't be at some point. Then the question becomes, how does it dry out? The scenarios are endless.

The structure you're working on, I assume it's rafters and not cathedral trusses? Depth of rafters? Eave construction? Possible to add depth to rafter bays?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
I'm in zone 3, which is more cooling.

I was considering some ideas for the ceiling and ran them by a local energy consultant. Code changes mean I can't use cellulose without an impermeable upper layer (under or over the sheathing). It now looks like my best option is a 6.5 inch SIP. For that, my preference is polyurethane.

jriggy

Jason, I'm not sure I understand the highlighted paragraph above. The basic idea is as JP suggested; wrap the living space in air barrier and insulation, and isolate it as much as practical.

As for building the chutes as opposed to installing channels. I know I could get closer to a complete "isolation" (my words) of living space from roof deck The only contact of roof deck to interior would be through rafters themselves, not true of channels, which are kinda hit or miss by their nature.  I probably don't do a great job explaining it, perhaps envision a box suspended within a box for a more graphic mental picture.

Another possibility would be to build the "floor" of the vents out of sheet foam. In essence replacing the OSB or plywood with foam. Extruded polystyrene boards (exp, typically pink or blue), has more r-value per inch than expanded polystyrene (eps, looks like compressed beads or Styrofoam). The downside is cost. If you can't create more space below rafters, you wanna shoot for highest r-value possible in given space.

I am many posts behind here but need to respond while I have the time...

Peter J,

The paragraph you are not understanding is actually an addition to the post from my wife  :lol:
She wanted to add a thought /question, so I let her, of course, and she pushed send... I think she was asking about the "hot roof' scenario, thinking that if the space was a conditioned area that the inside of the roof/foam would not be hotter than the outside, so reducing any 'cooking' of the shingles.

But anyway, I do not believe we will be doing the 'sealed' / hot roof and will in all likelihood, follow what you and our first professional have suggested and go with some sort of vent channel. This adds the expense and job of creating better airflow behind our gutters (house with NO eaves or soffits), but I believe it is doable with a couple a couple plans brewing on that front...

To my wife's credit, she had the same idea as you did, Peter J, about using foam board spaced away from the roof decking to create the air channel.

So here is what we are mostly decided on:
 A venting channel constructed of foam board (inch thick?), then 3 to 3 & 1/2 inches of spray foam, then hat-channel the drywall off of the rafters, so the rafters can be covered by an inch or so of foam themselves...

I know there will be the details to work out and cost has just jumped considerably for this stage than what I though it would be...but it sounds like a must.

We have a couple more professionals coming and more research and reading to do.

Thank you all so much for the insights and I will continue listening

Jason

ctviggen

I am many posts behind here but need to respond while I have the time...

Peter J,

The paragraph you are not understanding is actually an addition to the post from my wife  :lol:
She wanted to add a thought /question, so I let her, of course, and she pushed send... I think she was asking about the "hot roof' scenario, thinking that if the space was a conditioned area that the inside of the roof/foam would not be hotter than the outside, so reducing any 'cooking' of the shingles.

But anyway, I do not believe we will be doing the 'sealed' / hot roof and will in all likelihood, follow what you and our first professional have suggested and go with some sort of vent channel. This adds the expense and job of creating better airflow behind our gutters (house with NO eaves or soffits), but I believe it is doable with a couple a couple plans brewing on that front...

To my wife's credit, she had the same idea as you did, Peter J, about using foam board spaced away from the roof decking to create the air channel.

So here is what we are mostly decided on:
 A venting channel constructed of foam board (inch thick?), then 3 to 3 & 1/2 inches of spray foam, then hat-channel the drywall off of the rafters, so the rafters can be covered by an inch or so of foam themselves...

I know there will be the details to work out and cost has just jumped considerably for this stage than what I though it would be...but it sounds like a must.

We have a couple more professionals coming and more research and reading to do.

Thank you all so much for the insights and I will continue listening

Jason

That sounds like a great plan.  Let us know how that turns out. I have hat channel for a project I never completed, so I'd be interested in doing this too.  I'm also concerned about replacing the roof/shingles if the sheathing has spray foam directly on it. 

My only concern about your plan is how you seal from the attic sheathing to the attic "floor".  I've been thinking of having the attic sealed and also sealing the outside of the house (take off outside covering/sheathing and then add sheets of insulation over the sheathing/studs) and as much of the basement outside wall as possible.  This would all be air-sealed (and then you'd have to add heat recovery ventilation to bring in fresh air).  I figure this will reduce heating and cooling costs, but it's a cost-benefit analysis that's hard to do (especially since I'm moving to a new house; they'll be no previous information about the heating and cooling costs for the new house).  Anyway, you need to create an entire "sealed" house to the extent you can in order for this to be effective.  That means sealing any transition from attic to attic floor, walls to basement, etc.