Magnepan CC5 Review: Center Channel for a 2 Channel Guy?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Magnepan CC5 Review: Center Channel for a 2 Channel Guy?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:20 pm »
Not today.
Instead, we've got:

which is how I wanted to set it up in the first place.
The sound quality is greatly improved - imagine that.
It now sounds louder (even though no setting were changed), it doesn't have that shoutiness that it did before and the dispersion is wider.  A significant improvement.

The photo below shows how the feet on the bottom of the CC5 angle the speaker down towards the listening room.

The mother in law is still hanging around, I see.
Just kidding, she's a very nice woman.

berni

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:20 pm »
Way to go, but leave the window open for the option with the CC5 under the screen.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:18 am »
I pointed out what I did with the speaker and amp to Lynda and she just shrugged.
Now we're in the process of making it look more like a living room and less like an industrial lash up.
I will leave this part to the wife and will post some pics when she's done doing her thing.

AJZepp asked why I didn't just go with some sort of a pre/pro but the whole system is built around the late Bill Dibble's preamp - it's kind of a way to keep his memory going and provide some good sound in the process.

Now that it's set up properly it's just astonishing what an improvement the CC5 made; if anything, it sounds better than the MMGs but it employs newer technology so I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise.
Tax time will probably see some new MMGs in my living room's future to keep the sound quality consistent with the CC5.

I always wondered about the Magnepan home theater speakers but could never decide if they were worth investigating or not. 
I'm a two channel guy, why would I need that stuff?
Now I know why - it can give you a seamless wall of sound.

josh358

« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:16 am »
I always wondered about the Magnepan home theater speakers but could never decide if they were worth investigating or not. 
Yep, if you're doing theater-style seating or are displaced by a dog, you need a center channel to anchor the sound. If you're sitting in the sweet spot, not so much, then you're better off putting money into surrounds.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:00 am »

Yup - that "seamless wall of sound" - the scale is just unlike anything I ever got from non-planar speakers.  Despite doing a 7.1 all Magnepan system, it was really the front three that made the biggest difference for me.  Fortunately MMG-W for side channels is cheaper than just about anything else out there, and fortunately just about as good, so don't need to over-think that decision too much. 

I am curious about your opinion of the CC5 as I'm still trying to weigh that investment vs the MMG-C or even an MMG on it's side.  Have tried both of those (and currently running the MMG-C) but have not had a chance to try the CC5.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:56 am »
You're still curious or you were curious?
If you're still curious, do it, do it, now (to be read in an Arnold Schwartzeneggar voice).
The sound is more 1.7 than MMG - I wish I could comment on the MMG-W but the one time I went to listen to one the "alternate" sales guy wasn't able to get it going and the store owner wasn't around that day.
The MMG on it's side is only going to project the sound dead ahead, not throughout the room.
Does this help?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:39 am »
Still curious.......just cheapskate that I am, don't want to pay $1,100 (vs $300 paid for MMG-C).  Wendell & MG tech said go for the CC5 as I have the 1.7's.  "Try out the MMG-C for 60 days - then return it for the CC5".  Still think I'd like the CC5, but will probably wait to get them used somewhere eventually.

MMG on it's side straight ahead was ok for me - fortunately my dog is small :lol: & viewing is head on.  Liked the sound somewhat better vs MMG-C (more transparent / less nasal), but mounting & cosmetics are an issue.

Do it, do it - reminds me of Ben Stiller's "no no no - do it" guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXojME_NC0U&feature=relmfu

ajzepp

« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:45 am »
The MMG-Ws is one of the many reasons why I love Magnepan. I can put up speakers in back that will do everything I need them to and blend right in (even when I'm running 3.6s in front!), and get away with paying three bills instead of having to dish out much, much more so that they "match". They are brilliant as surrounds....I have absolutely no desire to put anything else back there.

Once Oppo gets the triple crossover points in their on board bass managment, I'm going to jump to the CC5 for sure. I don't know if this feature is on the new models they recently announced, but they did tell me it was in the works for a future player. I can get away with crossing the CC3 over at 80hz along with everything else, but when I upgrade to the CC5 I'd like to cross it over a bit higher.

But yeah, Ws as surrounds are fantastic.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:44 pm »
Now that the recapped Bryston and the modded Hafler are getting used to being amplifiers again (instead of door stops) I got to fool around a bit comparing the MMGs to the CC5 and the 3.7.
You can really hear how time marches on with speaker development and I'm afraid that my beloved MMGs are showing their age and aren't nearly as "crisp" sounding as the CC5 or 3.7.
I'm really looking forward to the new MMGs as I think that same basic sound will be incorporated.
My original MMGs won't be up for sale, though - they will go good by the computer.

Oh yeah, the dog (who still has the best seat in the house) is fascinated by the CC5.
Well, for minutes at a time and then it's time for a siesta.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 12:37 am by SteveFord »