What is your Dream System?

medium jim

What is your Dream System?
« on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:06 pm »
This is a let it ride go for it question, but please make sure it does contain something about the last 3 octaves!  If you really want to be creative, name one that meets the Robb Report standards (money is no object) and one for the blue collar audiophile who counts pennies.

Jim

P.S. Please no pissing contests as there are no winners or losers.

JohnR

Re: What is your Dream System?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:25 pm »
In money-no-object territory, I heard a rather nice system last weekend. Lessee... OK, photo:

Full active system, DEQX xover/EQ.

(That is, actually, a terrible photograph. Sorry about that... must get one of those "see in the dark" cameras...)

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:31 pm »
Wow!  John, what is that speaker?  I've never seen anything like it.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:39 pm »
It's a Kyron Gaia... lessee, website here: http://www.kyronaudio.com.au/Gaia.html

Not cheap, but when I found this it doesn't seem so bad at all, considering that all the amps are included too, all you need is to plug in a source.

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2012, 07:38 pm »
It would be real easy to fall in love with the Ale Acoustics:

They're actually a bargain at only 220k USD when compared to other uber high-end offerings.  I think Speakers make a system more than anything else....not saying that amps, pre's, etc., aren't important, they are.  Put it this way, if i could afford a pair of them, I don't think I would have a problem with amps.....

They're said to go down to 10hz and as clear as a bell or in this case a horn.  A friend of mine who lives in Japan as heard them and was totally floored...alas, he said they're bigger than his whole apartment!

Jim

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:44 pm »
This variant comes with a set of Siamese Twins to aid in set up.
It costs extra to get them to leave.

« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012, 10:59 pm by SteveFord »

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:53 pm »
Steve:

Pretty funny!   Those are their intermediate model.  They're a Japanese based company and per Myles, my friend in Japan, were doing well a few years back and actually were selling them on a regular basis.  Talk about WAF!

Jim

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2012, 09:40 pm »
Spectral DMA 360 mono amps and a Spectral DMC full pre all lashed together with Spectral cabling.  Tho I have a lot of love for tubes, my limited experience of this gear playing music is unsurpassed.  For my 15x12x8' room, a pair of MBL 120 3-way omni speakers should fit nicely.  A Walker Black Diamond turntable and linear tracking air bearing arm with a Benz LP-S MR MC phono cartridge and/or a Koetsu Onix Platinum.  Lastly, a one piece Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD player.  Downloading music lacks appeal for me.  I like to be able to put my hands on my collection of recordings.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2012, 01:07 am by jimdgoulding »

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2012, 10:54 pm »
Wow Jim, those Ale's are something. My fantasy system can also be named with three letters - MBL. I've heard the 101E, which to my ears is an amazingly lifelike speaker. If I had $250K for a speaker system, I think I'd go for the 101 X-Treme. Wrap this whole system up; I'll take it. :lol:

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:05 pm »
I'm not system building next year and can finally then afford to go to RMAF. I am dying to hear the MBL's.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:20 pm »
I could be quite content with Magnepan 20.7s, a pair of Manley 500s, a deHavilland Mercury preamp, a Well Tempered Amadus mated with an Ortofon Cadenza Black, a Fosgate phono stage, Kimber 12TC speaker cables, Supra LoRad power cords and I would make the interconnects myself to keep me out of mischief.
For the sake of the Bass Place I'd go with a pair of REL subwoofers although I probably wouldn't really need them.
I'd also need a new set of Stax headphones mated to a WooAudio amp for bedtime listening. 
P.S.
I already own the Blue Collar version!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2012, 01:19 am »
It's a Kyron Gaia... lessee, website here: http://www.kyronaudio.com.au/Gaia.html

Not cheap, but when I found this it doesn't seem so bad at all, considering that all the amps are included too, all you need is to plug in a source.
Thanks for the blue "this" link.  Don't think I've ever seen so many high end speakers and context at one place.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2012, 03:09 pm by jimdgoulding »