Recommended Placement update for all .7 models

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Recommended Placement update for all .7 models
« on: 28 Oct 2012, 08:22 pm »
Quick Step-Up Instructions
The 1.7 has exceptional phase characteristics that are accomplished without the use of compensation networks. To realize the optimum phasing, the 1.7 should be angled inward as shown in the diagrams in the manual. (Do not place parallel to the front wall.) In most rooms with one or two listeners, we have achieved the best imaging with the tweeters placed on the inside for listening in the "sweet spot". For a larger audience and listening further off-axis, try tweeters on the outside. But, again, the speakers must be angled inward as shown in the diagrams below .

Tweeter attenuation may be necessary for rooms with hard, reflective walls. See Section 14 below.

Stereo Width and Imaging
Once you have located the best position for the speakers and your chair for bass performance, separate the speakers by 50-60% of the distance from your chair to the speakers. For example, if your chair is 10 feet from the speakers, move the speakers 5-6 feet apart. Now, move the speakers apart in increments of 3 or 4 inches at a time, listening carefully at each position. At some point you will start to hear two separate speakers instead of a stage effect or continuous image. When this occurs, your speakers are too far apart. Begin moving the speakers back in small increments until you notice a point at which you achieve one cohesive sound stage. PhasingThe Magneplanar 1.7 has superior phase characteristics. We suggest you resist the tendency to place the speakers so they are parallel to the front wall. For optimum phasing, the speakers should angled as shown in Figures 1 or 2.

Depending upon the acoustics of your room, the imaging and sound stage may be better with the tweeters on the inside for listening only in the "sweet spot". For a larger audience and listening further off-axis, try tweeters on the outside. Angle the speakers as shown in Figures 1 or 2.

Once you have located the ideal speaker position, a mark is helpful for quickly replacing the speakers. A small tack, yarn woven into the carpet, or piece of tape can be placed on the carpet so your ideal listening spot can be easily relocated when the speakers (or chair) are moved for cleaning, etc. In the event your ideal listening spot is inconvenient from the standpoint of the room layout and decor, simply slide the speakers wherever they look best. For background listening the speakers can be placed close to the wall and it will make little difference.
---------------------------------------------

Note from me: you might find yourself with too much bass and midrange with this toe-in suggestion.
I would go with some sort of room treatment in lieu of the attenutation resistors, they always sounded weird to me.

medium jim

Re: Recommended Placement update for all .7 models
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2012, 04:11 am »
While I have .5's, what Magnepan suggests for the .7's is almost exactly what I did to position my .5's.  Since I usually listen alone, no more than 2, I have my ribbon tweeters on the inside.  Once you have them where you have one continuos soundstage, then play with the toe-in to achieve a really deep/wide soundstage.  For me, it is having the tweeters pointed at my shoulders.  Left channel at my left shoulder and right at my right shoulder.

Getting the panels into the room and off the walls also is important to eliminate room nulls and funkiness.

Jim

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2012, 09:11 pm »
FYI, what these guys are posting came with my Maggies and is how I set them up.  It works really well.  So far, I have been listening with tweeters to the outside.  At some point, I want to swap sides and put tweeters inside.  But, tweeters out sounds great in my setup.

The advice in the manual says to start with tweeters out, and if you have trouble getting a good soundstage to try swapping them.  Tweeters in makes it easier to deal w/a close seating position.  But, I don't have that limitation.  Also, my dealer told me to skip the attentuators until I got the Maggies broken in.  But - I don't think I will ever add them...maybe with the USP-1 I would have.  But, the ERC/XSP/nCore pairing is so smooth...why mess with success?

Also FYI - pcguy wants to take you up on your listening test offer.  He posted on the lounge about it on the day you got banned - so you may not have seen it.  He PM'd me today about it, and I told him to come over here and PM you here if he wanted to do the listening test.

Let me know if he asks.

Also - did you get your nCores and get them set up?

Mark

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2012, 12:38 am »
mkcarnut,
Only the Quick Set Up Part is new and I agree about the attenuators - mine live in a drawer.

For this part here:

Also FYI - pcguy wants to take you up on your listening test offer.  He posted on the lounge about it on the day you got banned - so you may not have seen it.  He PM'd me today about it, and I told him to come over here and PM you here if he wanted to do the listening test.
Let me know if he asks.
Also - did you get your nCores and get them set up?

Who is this meant for?