Strathern Ribbon Source

denny9167

Strathern Ribbon Source
« on: 19 May 2012, 11:41 pm »
I have an uncle who owns a pair of Strathern Ribbons,He has had them for well over 30 years,and is beginning to experience some problems with one of the units. Does anyone know who might know more about these either for repair,or parts. Many Thanks in advance.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Strathern Ribbon Source
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2012, 02:58 am »
I struck out - can anyone help?

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2012, 02:59 am »
I struck out - can anyone help?

I too checked and frankly, I've never heard of them...

Jim

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2012, 03:56 am »
People in need have had trouble sourcing Strathern replacements for a LONG time.

Good luck.

dave

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2012, 12:26 pm »
Do a search at Audiokarma and Pink Fish Media for Strathern owners that might be able to help.
Chris H.

shooter

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2012, 12:54 am »
denny3167- Can you explain what kind of problem your uncle is experiencing?
I had triple stack strathern about 30 years ago. The aluminum foil attached to the film is quite fragile may be it has developed some micro fracture after all these years. Also you you can check the continuity of the foil with a multi meter, I think it should be around 1/2 ohm.
A bit of info for those never heard of them, they were used in the Infinity flagship speaker Quantum Reference standard, prior to the IRS series. They were HP reference when he use them with the Magneplanar tympani 1D bass panels.

peterlommel

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm »
Hi there,

Maybe a little too late, but I own a pair of Strathearn ribbons myself. Same problem with the foil which was getting old. I ordered a new (and better) set of foils at the reseller in Germany. at Hifisound in Münster:

Hello Mr. Saerbeck,

Please send me as discussed on the phone today:

2x replacement foil Strathearn PRD à € 49.00
2x transformer 4 - 6 - 8 Ohm à € 79.00
1 shipping charge € 15.00

Hello Mr. Saerbeck,

It is important that I get the right advice on how to fix the Kapton membrane.

Can you provide the correct adhesive?
Please for advice

Sincerely,

Hello Mr. Saerbeck,

Exactly from which plastic is the framework established aufdem the Kapton membrane is to be bonded?

Sincerely,

Hello,

The frame material is polyurethane!
No problem, we've had it repaired several times! They do best thin double-sided tape to use (advantage: stuck fast and secure - disadvantage: the film must fit in one go immediately because subsequent correct is not possible!) On an alternative, you can also use a liquid adhesive that attract even subsequent perfect fit possible! Since the carrier film is Kapton, it is up to 400 degrees and a long-term stable,.
The Kapton film sounds much better in the high frequencies than the old mylar film with a U-shaped aluminum diaphragm. On the Kapton film is twice the length of conductor is housed, since it at the front and the back of the parallel operation operates. The two ports have to be contacted only easy from both sides, so that the impedance is about 1.2 ohms!

The repair is not that difficult, but requires some patience and should proceed with caution.

hifisound
Speakers sales
Raimund Saerbeck
Jüdefelderstraße 35/52
48148 Münster

Tel: 0251-47828
Fax: 0251-43956

Email: r-saerbeck@hifisound.de
web: www.hifisound.de

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 11:26 pm by SteveFord »