Hypex NCore question and answers

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #720 on: 27 Jun 2013, 11:07 am »
a wayne

Why don't you post in this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108203.0 thread and see if you can borrow a pair to try? 

a.wayne

« Reply #721 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:51 pm »
Unless you're a PHD in amplifier design, have a full understanding of the workings of the NC400, and have a fortune to throw at this linear supply, several times more than the amp itself, you're wasting your time, IMO.

Thanks , pretty much what i wanted to know , NC400 best with supplied Psu ....

Regards

a.wayne

« Reply #722 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:55 pm »
Yes, and the nc400 will have no problem driving them. Maximum power might be current-limited, but as long as you don't drive them full out (your lower supply voltage would limit the power anyway), it won't be an issue. 24 A is a heck of a lot of current...

You do seem to like broad, sweeping statements.

Not really , they are absolute statements made from absolutely doing this for 40 yrs,  the best ones all do low -z  and drive anything , this is easily proven if you want to see and as you have pointed out the NC400 does low-z with of course some current limiting ...

Regards

a.wayne

« Reply #723 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:56 pm »
a wayne

Why don't you post in this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108203.0 thread and see if you can borrow a pair to try?

Thanks for the heads up , already tried such ........

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #724 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:58 pm »
NC400 best with supplied Psu ....

Definitely.

Julf

« Reply #725 on: 27 Jun 2013, 06:02 pm »
Not really , they are absolute statements made from absolutely doing this for 40 yrs,  the best ones all do low -z  and drive anything , this is easily proven if you want to see and as you have pointed out the NC400 does low-z with of course some current limiting ...

Unfortunately "best" is absolutely an arbitrary and subjective qualification.

If you want to see some absolute disagreement, post either your criteria of what makes an amp qualify as one of the "best", or just a list of the "best" amps... :)

a.wayne

« Reply #726 on: 27 Jun 2013, 06:16 pm »
Your first , my flame suit is still at the cleaners ..... :)

Julf

« Reply #727 on: 27 Jun 2013, 06:20 pm »
Your first , my flame suit is still at the cleaners ..... :)

Still haven't found cleaners that do flame suits properly...

a.wayne

« Reply #728 on: 27 Jun 2013, 06:30 pm »
Yeah i know what you mean , I'm giving this one a shot at it ..... :lol:

RUR

« Reply #729 on: 25 Jul 2013, 01:38 am »
Some wiring clarification, please...  This is for an un-switched (always on when connected to AC) application.

Near as I can tell from the various posts, when connecting the J9 harness, both J9 Pin 3 nAMPON and Pin 4 Ground should connect to chassis.  I had planned to run Pin 4 gound wire to a lug captured under the screw of the grounded PS chassis leg.  Should I also connect the nAMPON there?  This would mean XLR Pin 1 is not connected to anything.  This seems odd, but what I know of electrical design would fit in a thimble.

Julf

« Reply #730 on: 25 Jul 2013, 04:51 am »
Some wiring clarification, please...  This is for an un-switched (always on when connected to AC) application.

Near as I can tell from the various posts, when connecting the J9 harness, both J9 Pin 3 nAMPON and Pin 4 Ground should connect to chassis.  I had planned to run Pin 4 gound wire to a lug captured under the screw of the grounded PS chassis leg.  Should I also connect the nAMPON there?  This would mean XLR Pin 1 is not connected to anything.  This seems odd, but what I know of electrical design would fit in a thimble.

Why would you do it that way, rather than the Hypex-recommended way (figure 2 on the data sheet)? XLR pin 1 should be connected to chassis.

RUR

« Reply #731 on: 25 Jul 2013, 01:09 pm »
OK, XLR Pin 1 connects directly to the chassis, resolving my empty XLR Pin 1 question. 

Figure two shows J9 pins 1 & 2 audio input connected to XLR pins 2 & 3, as well as pin 4 ground going to chassis.  Pin 3 nAMPON is not shown, but also goes to chassis, yes?

I do appreciate your help!

Julf

« Reply #732 on: 25 Jul 2013, 01:20 pm »
Pin 3 nAMPON is not shown, but also goes to chassis, yes?

Yes. Doesn't much matter where.

RUR

« Reply #733 on: 25 Jul 2013, 01:23 pm »
All set, thanks!

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #734 on: 25 Jul 2013, 02:41 pm »
RUR: you might consider putting a switch on nAmpon as well.  Especially if you are not going to have a hard power switch (which is an approach I like).  This way, you can mute the output of the amp, without having to unplug it.  It is quite handy being able to do this, and adding a switch to nAmpon is super easy.

RUR

« Reply #735 on: 25 Jul 2013, 03:21 pm »
I realize it's a simple switch, lifting nAMPON, but I'm trying to keep this dirt simple and there's no practical need for muting in my system.

RUR

« Reply #736 on: 30 Jul 2013, 06:44 pm »
One more question...  In my always-on config, can I safely hot swap XLRs, or must the amp be disconnected from AC first?  I can and have safely done this with other balanced amps.   

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #737 on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:20 pm »
One more question...  In my always-on config, can I safely hot swap XLRs, or must the amp be disconnected from AC first?  I can and have safely done this with other balanced amps.   

This is one of the reasons I suggested adding a simple switch to nAmpon.  By muting the output, you eliminate any annoying pops from the speakers while hot plugging the XLR cables in and out.  I suspect you can do this with no worries anyway, but it is nice to mute the output first.

SGK

« Reply #738 on: 21 Aug 2013, 04:36 pm »
Hmmm... this could be a fun project even for a novice like myself.  I have a Bryston 3B that's sat in storage for about 13 years.  I wonder if it would be a good enclosure to work with.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #739 on: 21 Aug 2013, 05:12 pm »
Yes but a bit large for what it needs to be.  Also, I'm sure there is some Bryston fan out there that would love to get his/her hands on that unit that's been sitting for 13yrs.