which is better? power amp + speaker vs active speaker

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: which is better? power amp + speaker vs active speaker
« Reply #20 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:27 pm »
You do have to try. FWIW: I am between systems right now and am using a pair of Audioengine A5 speakers ($199). These are the first pair of powered speakers I have ever owned and I am really impressed with what they can do. It makes me curious about other powered speakers and and when it is time for me to set up a new rig, I will be looking at what is out there in the powered speaker realm.

These powered speakers are pretty wonderful - I've had two pairs of them for many years now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KCNW38/ref=sc_pgp__m_A2763VQ7SN6URD_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2763VQ7SN6URD&n=&s=&v=glance (link to NHT M-00)

Both of the speakers above have a passive x-o and the amp is put in the speaker box for convenience.

In active designs each amp directly "sees" the simplier driver load versus squeezing through the inefficient electronic maze called a crossover.

Active ~ powered?  :dunno:

I think some kind of distinction needs to be made.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 2 Apr 2012, 12:23 pm »

Active ~ powered?  :dunno:

I think some kind of distinction needs to be made.

Agreed.  Truly active IMO means one amplification channel per driver (although I might allow an exception for 2-ways that simply use a cap to protect the tweeter as found in several extended range designs).  Otherwise you simply have the manufacturer's choosen amp strapped to a passive speaker, without the advantages of active design.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2012, 06:00 pm »
Has anyone heard the QSC K10s or 12s?

Yes.  I mix a live band on the K10s every week at my church and I think they work very well.  Their power response and dispersion is very consistent from top to bottom.  They would probably sound a little rough in a near-field home music system, but they weren't designed for that.  They have no problem filling a 100'x50'x50' auditorium.

I was at the NASCAR race last week and a local rock station was using K12's in the "fan zone" to blast their broadcast.  Sounded horrible in that context but consider the source.