Liberty Cable Bargain Bin

gkinberg

Re: Liberty Cable Bargain Bin
« Reply #60 on: 23 May 2012, 01:21 am »
The lengths left are longer than I need. How easy or difficult would it be to cut the cables and reterminate? It is probably not something that I would do but would get someone qualified to do it.

Thanks, Garth

ltr317

« Reply #61 on: 23 May 2012, 01:49 am »
ltr317,

Just to verify what your saying.  So you can't tell the difference between the IC and the Digital cables to each other and the OCC cables either?

Thanks,
Topp

Hi Topp,

I didn't hear a difference with digital to digital and RCA to RCA between the Liberty cables and my much more expensive OCC cables of a different brand.  I did not compare digital to RCA.  I hope that clarifies my findings. 

Paul

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #62 on: 24 May 2012, 05:42 pm »
The lengths left are longer than I need. How easy or difficult would it be to cut the cables and reterminate? It is probably not something that I would do but would get someone qualified to do it.

I cut my 13 foot Z500 speaker cables in half with a pair of tin snips.  Any heavier type scissors or wire cutter will do.  Peel back the black outer casing.  Then use a razor blade and take off the thick rubber type casing.  Get a decent wire stripper and strip the casing off of the two black and two red wires.  Take your fingers and twist the two like color wires together and you are good to go.  I cut my cables in half because I bi-wire.  If you are not going to be changing cables very often and your binding posts either on the amp side or the speaker side can unscrew and take a bare wire, you are good to go.  Use the supplied bananas on one end and the bare wire on the other end.

Regards,

Randy

rklein

« Reply #63 on: 24 May 2012, 06:30 pm »
I have had the Z500 speaker cables in my system for the last three days.  My incumbent cables are the Morrow SP3 bi-wired version.

First off, for the price, these cables are an absolute steal!  When I first started listening to the Liberty cables, I was drawn into the music based on the lush sound presentation.  In addition, the bass was much more pronounced than with my Morrows.  Please keep in mind that I was trying these cables first with my Nightshade Audio NS-60 SE amp and then with Jason's NCore amps.

While listening last night, I was came to the conclusion that the "lush" presentation came with the caveat of some "smearing" of the sound especially evident with classical music.  This smearing occured with both my tube amp and the NCores.  In addition, while the bass seemed fuller, I felt that is needed more definition.

I put my Morrow SP3's back in and the sound immediately cleared up.  More definition of instruments and while the bass was not as prolific, the tambre and tone improved.

This is not meant to rain on the Liberty Cable party.  For the money spent, these cables are pretty darn good.  They will not be replacing my Morrow SP3 cables.  The Liberty cables are also a fraction of the price of the Morrows and I must admit that the construction of the Liberty cables are absolutely first rate.

Regards,

Randy

djbnh

« Reply #64 on: 24 May 2012, 08:49 pm »
I have had the Z500 speaker cables in my system for the last three days....
While listening last night, I was came to the conclusion that the "lush" presentation came with the caveat of some "smearing" of the sound especially evident with classical music.  This smearing occured with both my tube amp and the NCores.  In addition, while the bass seemed fuller, I felt that is needed more definition.

I put my Morrow SP3's back in and the sound immediately cleared up.  More definition of instruments and while the bass was not as prolific, the tambre and tone improved...

Regards,

Randy
How many total hours do you have on the Liberty cables v. the SP3 cables?

rklein

« Reply #65 on: 24 May 2012, 09:16 pm »
How many total hours do you have on the Liberty cables v. the SP3 cables?

I probably have 20 hours on the Z500's.  As for my Morrow SP3's, they have been in my system for over two years so believe me when I say that I have been through the painful Morrow break-in time.

I may break the Z500 in more when I have time to do so.  Right now, I am spending every available moment auditioning Jason's NCore amps and will be getting them to the next person tomorrow afternoon.

I am not saying that the Z500's would or would not benefit from break-in.  However, so far no one who has bought them have shared any criticisms in regards to their performance or if they have improved as they get more hours on them.

Regards,

Randy

e.man

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:45 pm »
I will leave naming the fellow AC forumite who helped get some cables to me to the guy involved. Thanks very much to him for the cables and for confirming there are still some great people around.  There is no way I would have been able to afford anything like this without the bargain prices and the help from someone there in the US.

I have never seen speaker cables so fat.  They have given me a much fuller sound and taken the hard edge off that I had with the no-name solid core.
The digital cable upgrades what I had and combines with a DAC/PSU to make my old CDP sound it's best ever.

pg_rider

« Reply #67 on: 1 Jun 2012, 08:12 pm »
Silly question, but what color are the Z500 speaker cables?  Kind of hard to tell from the picture on the website.  Looks like a black outer skin?  Anyone have an actual picture of one?

usp1

« Reply #68 on: 1 Jun 2012, 08:30 pm »
Placed an order for the speaker cables and a digital IC.

ANyone have suggestions for a good usb cable that reasonably priced. The generic ones I have seem to fit a bit loosely on my EE dac's usb in port.

HT cOz

« Reply #69 on: 1 Jun 2012, 09:17 pm »
Placed an order for the speaker cables and a digital IC.

ANyone have suggestions for a good usb cable that reasonably priced. The generic ones I have seem to fit a bit loosely on my EE dac's usb in port.

This http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGUSBPC or http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGUSBAG

e.man

« Reply #70 on: 2 Jun 2012, 12:01 am »
Silly question, but what color are the Z500 speaker cables?  Kind of hard to tell from the picture on the website.  Looks like a black outer skin?  Anyone have an actual picture of one?
No actual picture but mine is woven black with diagonal silver flecks.

mhconley

« Reply #71 on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:45 am »
Very shiny silver on black:

Martin

pg_rider

« Reply #73 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:17 pm »
Very shiny silver on black:

Martin
Thanks for the pic -- placed my order!  I see yours came packaged with banana plug terminations -- I thought they came with spades based on the website pic?  I certainly prefer bananas, so hopefully mine come that way. :)

One other question -- can these cables easily be cut and re-terminated?  The 13' length they had in stock is too long so I'm hoping I can shorten them.

ltr317

« Reply #74 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:52 pm »
Thanks for the pic -- placed my order!  I see yours came packaged with banana plug terminations -- I thought they came with spades based on the website pic?  I certainly prefer bananas, so hopefully mine come that way. :)

One other question -- can these cables easily be cut and re-terminated?  The 13' length they had in stock is too long so I'm hoping I can shorten them.

They come with bananas, spades and pins in a plastic bag.  The terminations twist off, so you can use any combination you want. 

e.man

« Reply #75 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:17 pm »
Has anyone noticed any 'burn in' change on the speaker cables ?
I hear an increased frequency range over what I had but I'm thinking now I have too much at the very top end.

trackball02

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:32 pm »
I also got a pair of the Z500 speaker cable. Really a good buy and well constructed. I had to move my components, and am using them instead of my Morrow SP5, which are a little too short. I'm amazed at the performance of the Z500s to the point that I really can't hear any significant difference between the 2 brands.

weitrhino

« Reply #77 on: 12 Jun 2012, 01:48 am »
Is there anyone who bought up Z500 IC's have a .5 meter pair they would be willing to sell?  Two single .5 meter cables might even be better.  Send me a PM if you do.  I simply miscounted on some things and should have bought one more pair but now they're all gone.

kbuzz3

« Reply #78 on: 15 Jun 2012, 04:18 pm »
Got my speaker cables in two days!!.  Wish i saw this thread earlier as the construction is very very good for the price.  I also think the that twist off replacement banana, pin, spade thing is ingenious. I wish more manuf. used. I think high end crystal does.  But i can understand why: you need to buy other cables if you dont want to re terminate.

Anyway, given the price i may use them on the patio for my outdoor PSBs.  Ill try and provide some more info after listening. In any event for the money a solid no brainer

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #79 on: 23 Aug 2012, 06:35 pm »
In case people are still following this, they still seem to have a good amount of stuff in stock.  I did buy the last two Z500 speaker cable sets - I bi-wire.  But there still lots of audio interconnects (bought a bunch of Z500 XLR's), digital (bought some Z500 coax digital), and video cables.

Insanely good prices - though as it's a "no returns / refunds" deal, a bit worried about getting burned as there's only a few reviews here.  Once bought a lot of store made audioquest stuff from HCM audio that turned out to be dead / flat sounding crap (AQ15 power cable was ok).  But here the pricing seems to be so low that the risk is very low.......