Cabinet Stuffing...what to use and how much to use???

Sonny

Ok, so I've been wondering how much stuffing to fill the speaker cabinets with.  For those of you that don't know, I did a DIY of the GeerS eVe II Speakers, you can find out more here: http://members.home.nl/edgar.beers/2001/.  I started out stuffing both the bass and monitor with fiberglass fibers and lots of it, I would say medium density.  Initially, it gave me what I perceived to be, more bass and better Q.  Then, when I had the cabinet maker refinish the speakers, we decided to cut down on the fill, using polyfill (the stuff you get from fabric stores for pillows, etc.) and found that their was more air and openness to the sound.

Having said this, the questing is, for me anyways, is more stuffing going to give me deeper, more taunt bass vs less filling giving me more air and openness to the sound?  I know that fill also helps dampen the cabinet and reduces the "ring" effect, but I really care more, at this point, on the "openness" and "dynamics" and "airiness" of the sound.

What are your experiences???

Thanks
T

navin

Re: Cabinet Stuffing...what to use and how much to use???
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:53 am »
Ok, so I've been wondering how much stuffing to fill the speaker cabinets with. What are your experiences???

For sealed subwoofers, 1 lb per cu. ft. might be about right.

orientalexpress

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:20 pm »
Over the weekend,i add more stuffing into my cabinet right behind each woofers,WOW the bass went alot lower then before.The airiness sound the same,the stage is deeper.The image is awesome. :thumb:,and then again mine is transmission line cabinet.

lapsan

lapsan

spinner

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:34 pm »
  A few years back I filled the cabinets of my JBL 120's with whites fiber insulation. This did tighten and deepen the bass significantly . I also added a cross brace just above the woofer to stiffen the side panels. This was all an educated guess that worked out well in this case. :singing: