Woodburning Fireplace - Clean Out Advise

John151

Woodburning Fireplace - Clean Out Advise
« on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm »
For the first time I am actually burning wood in the fireplace (have always had gas logs before).  I am looking for advice on removing and disposing of the ashes (without making a total mess).   Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

P.S. - Don't worry, it is a well built masonry fire place, designed for wood, and has been inspected by a professional (no worries of chimney fires, etc).  We also have a CO2 detector near by, and I do know enough to open the damper before lighting a fire. :wink:

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Woodburning Fireplace - Clean Out Advise
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:34 pm »
To removed the ashes, get a small fireplace shovel like the one in this link.  I have one and it works great.

http://www.efireplacestore.com/fsd-lt0162.html?productid=fsd-lt0162&channelid=FROOG&gclid=CJGYu4Cy9q0CFWnatgodYwRprw

You will also need a metal bucket of some type for the ashes.  Make certain the ashes are completely burned out before dumping them in the flower bed or elsewhere outside to avoid a fire.

jules

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm »
Open fire or slow combustion?

Use dry wood to avoid build up of tar in the flue. Some types of wood burn more thoroughly than others, leaving only light grey powdery ash as against unburnt charcoal. [Can't help you on types as I'm in Australia and our gum trees are very different to other fire woods]

When you clean the ash out, keep the black lumps and remove the grey ash. The charcoal helps light the next fire.

If you have a garden, spread the ash around your plants [after it's cooled down  :wink:]. It's excellent fertilizer.

A good fire is a work of art  :D, congratulations!

jules

Oops, roymail has already answered ....

John151

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2012, 12:31 am »
To removed the ashes, get a small fireplace shovel like the one in this link.  I have one and it works great.

http://www.efireplacestore.com/fsd-lt0162.html?productid=fsd-lt0162&channelid=FROOG&gclid=CJGYu4Cy9q0CFWnatgodYwRprw

You will also need a metal bucket of some type for the ashes.  Make certain the ashes are completely burned out before dumping them in the flower bed or elsewhere outside to avoid a fire.

We do have an inexpensive fireplace tool set ($29 at Lowes), which has a shovel - not nearly as serious as the one in your link, but it works.  I also purchased a older metal ash bucket from an antique store for $10 - looks much like the one in the link you posted .  This works okay, and looks nice sitting on the hearth, but the slightest wind (such as a wagging dog tail), will stir up the ashes rather quickly.   I was wondering if there is a technique, such as laying a wet news paper over the top of the ashed filled bucket, that would prevent the ashes from stirring out of the bucket? 

I like the concept of the "Double Bottom Ash Hod" bucket with lid, but it is rather pricey and not as aesthetically pleasing. 

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2012, 12:37 am »
Cleaning a wood burning fireplace is always a pain.  I like the idea of using water to wet down the ash before removing it. just spray it down...  If you have carpet anywhere near the FP, cover it.

That said, Duraflame logs produce much less soot & ash than real wood, and no chances of embers shooting out.  I've been told its 90% less ash & carbon black.

Just don't use a standard shop vac.  the air that exits out of the filter will spray fine ash particles all over your room. 

As a kid my mom would take a brown paper shopping bag & spray the inside with water, then scoop it all up with a FP shovel, carefully seal the bag & toss out. 

John151

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2012, 12:44 am »
Open fire or slow combustion?

Open fire.

Use dry wood to avoid build up of tar in the flue. Some types of wood burn more thoroughly than others, leaving only light grey powdery ash as against unburnt charcoal. [Can't help you on types as I'm in Australia and our gum trees are very different to other fire woods]

The house did come with some firewood - but not sure that it is ready to be burned.  It is really hard to light up, never produces any flames (just glows red), and pops like fire works at times.  We supplement this with store bought bundles as the only way to get a decent fire.  Given enough time, it will eventually turn to ash, but it seems to leave a lot of ash and takes a long time.  I believe these were from trees cut down on the property.  Will be ordering a "cord" of kiln dried hard wood firewood (that is what everyone seems to advertise).

When you clean the ash out, keep the black lumps and remove the grey ash. The charcoal helps light the next fire.

Makes sense. 

If you have a garden, spread the ash around your plants [after it's cooled down  :wink:]. It's excellent fertilizer.

We don't have a garden per se, but we do have a 1+ acre lot.  My concern with dumping is that it will immediately blow away and leave suit all over the place.  Today, I buried a bucket load in the snow, but that won't always be an option.  Are there techniques to keep the ashes for blowing around and making a mess ? 

John151

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:01 am »
Cleaning a wood burning fireplace is always a pain.  I like the idea of using water to wet down the ash before removing it. just spray it down...  If you have carpet anywhere near the FP, cover it.

That said, Duraflame logs produce much less soot & ash than real wood, and no chances of embers shooting out.  I've been told its 90% less ash & carbon black.

I will try the spray bottle approach.  The duraflame logs are surely much easier, but not sure they provide the same affect, and they are not all cheap either.  I might use these on occasion when I just don't feel like hassling with a real fire. 

Just don't use a standard shop vac.  the air that exits out of the filter will spray fine ash particles all over your room. 

LOL, using my shop vac was the first thing that came to mind.  I didn't know why it was not a good idea, but I assumed it was "too easy" to be a workable solution (I have learned over the years not to trust my brilliant ideas).

As a kid my mom would take a brown paper shopping bag & spray the inside with water, then scoop it all up with a FP shovel, carefully seal the bag & toss out.

This sounds like a decent approach.  Just curious, did she wet the bag to control the dust, or to prevent the bag from burning in case there were some hot ashes hiding in the pile of ashes?

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:41 am »
I think it was to control the fine ash particles    :lol:

Step #1:  Make sure the fire is out & the fireplace is cold.

Somewhere on the web I saw a FP specific vacuum canister, with a hardcore filter, for $150 or so.   

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:44 am »
John151, sounds like you got some good advice and ideas about cleaning out your fireplace.

Be safe and all the best.  :D

jules

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:30 am »
I'm slightly doubtful about the vacuum technique, though of course it comes down to personal choice. If there's any glowing coals left in the ash [not always obvious] drawing them up into a vacuum and effectively fanning them could make for a very exciting vacuum cleaner fire.

If your hearth is firebrick, it won't like the sort of sharp changes of temperature or moisture content you could cause if you dowse it with water. Even if the hearth is cool, moisture is not good for it for several reasons including the fact that when you re-light the fire you'll create steam in the firebrick which can cause it to break down.

I suggest the easiest way to deal with the ash is to remove it with a brush and metal dust pan and if you're worried about it blowing away just water it into the ground when you spread it. Once watered in it doesn't come back, if I can put it that way. The grey powdery stuff is fairly harmless and even if it did get onto clothes it wouldn't stain.

The wood that only pops and glows sounds as though it's totally green.

If you can, it's useful to store wood in a place where it gets the sun [but not the rain of course]. If it's split, wood dries reasonably fast if it has sun and a good airflow around it. Most wood you buy still has some moisture in it which, if you can get rid of it, make everything more efficient.

jules

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:57 am »
I guess it's just common sense for me, been buring firewood my entire life.  But you don't put ashes in anything that can catch fire ... unless you like the idea of waking up at 3am to a house full of smoke.  That means no vacuum, no paper bags, etc.  Coals can stay hot for days when buried under ashes. 

You use a metal shovel and put them into a metal bucket, period. 

If you have a 1 acre lot, tossing the ashes shouldn't be any problem.  Just walk the bucket out somewhere on your lot, stand upwind and toss the ashes up into the air.  By the time they hit the ground they'll be spread out over a 30 ft circle, and will do nothing but good for your yard. 

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:34 am »
I guess it's just common sense for me, been buring firewood my entire life.  But you don't put ashes in anything that can catch fire ... unless you like the idea of waking up at 3am to a house full of smoke.  That means no vacuum, no paper bags, etc.  Coals can stay hot for days when buried under ashes.  You use a metal shovel and put them into a metal bucket, period.

He is exactly right.  Very good advice!

John151

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:30 pm »
Great discussion/advice guys! 

I guess I was on the right track with the old fashioned metal bucket approach.

One last question:  The chimney has a clean out in the basement.  Is this for a chimney sweeper when cleaning the chimney, or is this designed for removing the ashes from the fire box (can't see where it would make the job any easier)? Is this something I need to inspect or clean on a regular basis? 

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:26 pm »
In my previous house we had a fp with an ash door that lead to the basement part of the chimney...no clean out door  :o
I would think you can clean that as often as you wish.  Weekly, monthly, seasonally, depending how often you burn.  They are real handy when you just want to start another fire and don't want to mess with a bucket of ashes.  Push em down and fire up.
We have an inside wood stove now with no ash compartment so I have to shovel out every time.  Sometimes I just push the ashes to the side and go again.  Kicks out some heat.

I will recommend to burn hard wood and get the chimney swept yearly!

Bizarroterl