RM-9 driver balance

Safari

RM-9 driver balance
« on: 18 Aug 2012, 02:23 am »
Hi - I just picked up an RM-9 (mk1) that hand been sitting for a while (most likely due to a blown right channel fuse).

I cleaned everything up and replaced the trim pots for the bias and driver balance.  Everything seems ok now except that I can't get the driver to balance. On one side the led goes out then comes on again as I approach full cw. The other side I can get to full cw without the light ever going out.  If I switch the tubes in V1 the problem follows the tube so I assume this indicates that my v1 tubes are no longer matched?

All 4 drivers tubes are RAM 6dj8's but they are not the same (v1 set has different getters than v2 set)

Should I replace v1 with 6922's or 6dj8's  both are available on Roger's site.

Thanks for your help - I excited to have found this amp and this site.

rbwalt

Re: RM-9 driver balance
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2012, 08:04 pm »
it's your choice on the driver tubes. when i had mine i liked the 6dj8's. remember when you balance them you want it so they go out or make the least popping sound when you press the button. did you replace the pots with the same kind? also never move v2 tubes to the v1 sockets.

Safari

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm »
Yes, pots were replaced with the proper bourns pots, the amp appears otherwise untouched. It runs dead quiet so it seems that the almost 30 year old electrolytics are still doing their job. 

What is the difference between the 6dj8's and the 6922's in v1 ?

The tubes that are in my amp are probably original but I have gathered that many rm-9's use 6922's in v1.

Does the driver balance affect v1 only or does v2 also have an effect on balance? - I have not seen a schematic yet but I assume that 1 side of v2 is a PI?

rbwalt

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2012, 12:54 pm »
6dj8's always seemed to add a bit or warmth to the music from what i could gather. 6922's were a bit more open sounding. i believe v1 &  v2's are balanced together but do not hold me to this. trying to do this from memory. you can use either 6dj8's or 6922's in v1 or v2. i would not mix them however. remember v2's do not need to be super low noise. get your tubes from roger and only from him as he knows and tests the proper tubes for the amp. do not do allot of tube rolling for the driver tubes. to much will loosen the driver sockets on the board.

keep us posted on how things are working and good luck.

R.

Bhmartin

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:27 am »
Roger can give a better answer, but my recollection is that the V2 tubes are basically drivers and can be most anything with respect tu tube grade.  The V1 tubes as I recall it, however, are an order of magnitude or two more important in the amplification chain.  As such they should be the lowest noise variety that you can find.  They also must be closely balanced between the two halves of the triode.  I cannot recall if you call it DC balance or DC offset, but this parameter has to be pretty close on the two halves in order for you to have enough range on the trimpot to null the LED out thereby getting the lowest distortion.  Many NOS tubes are not close enough to null out, and even the RAM tubes can drift out of spec in this regard as they age.  The latter issue sounds like the one that you are dealing with with your amp.

rbwalt

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2012, 01:21 pm »
you are correct bhmartin. V2's do not need to be top grade.V1's have to be. get your tubes from roger.6dj8's or 6922's. the 8's seem to tend toward the warmer side of things. 6922's a bit more leaner and  more open sounding. let us know how things work out.

R.

Bhmartin

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:27 am »
To: rbwalt
Re: "...let us know how things work out."
Response: I am the new/third guy in on this thread.  Just trying to assist Safari, the original poster, same as you.  Nothing to report back on from my side ;)