PowerPlay Active Monitor Promotions

jsalk

PowerPlay Active Monitor Promotions
« on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:27 pm »
With the development process complete, it's time to launch our new PowerPlay Monitors.

We've created a web page with introductory promotions to kick things off.  Here is a link...

PowerPlay Introductory Promotions

Enjoy...

- Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: PowerPlay Active Monitor Promotions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2016, 11:09 pm »
Cool beans!

Any images of the remote or the back of the speakers?

Type of analog inputs (RCA, TRS, XLR)?

Any bass/treble adjustments?

Is there a subwoofer output (a real weakness of the KEF X300A)?

Any details available on the cabinet (TL or simple port); DAC (chip, source power needed); crossover (crossover frequency/slope); or amp (size per driver, type) design?

Will there be a simpler/cheaper analog version?

srb

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2016, 12:32 am »

If you look at the PowerPlay Monitor Specifications on the Salk website you will see "subwoofer output"

Hopefully not 3.5mm stereo!

Although I remember Jim saying the amplification was 50W/50W per speaker, that seems to be missing from either the Overview or Specifications.

Steve

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:26 am »
Awesome webpage design  :green:

Best,
Anand.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:49 am »
Congrats Jim and team  :thumb:

That's a whole lotta quality stuff for such a reasonable selling price.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:56 am »
Very nice, Jim! Congrats to the whole Team!!!  :beer:

sfox7076

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2016, 02:17 am »
They are really perfect for so many applications.  Small rooms, small spaces, etc.  Perfect NYC apartment speaker really.

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2016, 02:44 am »
Although I remember Jim saying the amplification was 50W/50W per speaker, that seems to be missing from either the Overview or Specifications.

Steve
The Salk Powerplay site states "One hundred clean class D watts per speaker with low signal to noise ratio of 104db."

srb

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:30 am »
The Salk Powerplay site states "One hundred clean class D watts per speaker with low signal to noise ratio of 104db."

Yes, but not on the main Salk Sound website PowerPlay page
http://salksound.com/powerplaymonitor-home.htm

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:06 am »
Yes, but not on the main Salk Sound website PowerPlay page
http://salksound.com/powerplaymonitor-home.htm

I can't find anywhere on that link, or the links within it, where it says anything about watts. Nonetheless, there's this:

Here is some preliminary information on these monitors:
  • Fully active 2-way speaker system.
  • One master - one slave speaker
  • Hiquphon 3/4" slik dome tweeter
  • Seas 6" woofer
  • Front slot port for versatile placement
  • 100 watts per speaker
  • USB input up to 24/192 - no external DAC required
  • S/PDIF coax input up to 24/192 - no external DAC required
  • One pair Analog inputs - RCA
  • Touch sensor on master speaker
  • Remote control (volume and input selection)
  • Size: 8" W x 13" D x 16" H
  • Available in any standard or optional custom finish

- Jim

(emphasis added)

What is the amplifier wattage for woofer vs tweeter?

50 watts each.
- Jim

Have fun,

Jerry

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2016, 10:57 am »
Yes active speakers are typically a very good value.  You save on power cords, interconnects, cabinets, and power supplies.  Plus the amps have been matched to the drivers and without the crossover in the way can be smaller to deliver the same spl.

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2016, 09:22 pm »
Cool beans!

Any images of the remote or the back of the speakers?

Sure, here it is...

RCA.

Any bass/treble adjustments?

While we don't recommend it, you can use the supplied computer app to modify the crossover design.  We don't recommend that and, of course, the response will no longer be flat.

Yes, there is a subwoofer output via RCA cable.  We set it up for a mono subwoofer (L + R), but you can use the computer app to change it to support stereo subs if you like.

Any details available on the cabinet (TL or simple port); DAC (chip, source power needed); crossover (crossover frequency/slope); or amp (size per driver, type) design?

Ported cabinet with front slot port (for maximum placement flexibility).

Will there be a simpler/cheaper analog version?

None planned at this time.  But we are always open.

Just in case anyone is interested, the frequency response is 43Hz - 20KHz +/- 3db.

- Jim

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2016, 08:44 pm »
Yes active speakers are typically a very good value.  You save on power cords, interconnects, cabinets, and power supplies.  Plus the amps have been matched to the drivers and without the crossover in the way can be smaller to deliver the same spl.

You save on amps and speaker cables but actually need to buy more power cords (one for each speaker as compared to one cord for an amp). But still much less expensive than the passive design.

witchdoctor

PowerPlay Active Monitor Video
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2016, 08:48 pm »
Any chance you can post a video of these playing something? Thanks

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2016, 09:02 pm »
A small video on how the interface works would be great. Maybe "NewRecordDay" would like to do a review?

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2016, 11:32 pm »
Who designed the DSP crossover?

How is excess bass reinforcement from close to wall/corner setups accounted for?

Again, crossover details (frequency/slope)?

Why a C7 power input?

What are the SPDIF and amp outputs for?

What is the USB mini female jack for?

Why no XLR inputs?  (Guess the design isn't balanced, so it won't be going to the studio.)

Again, any image of the remote?

Any idea how they compare to established active monitors like Adam A7X, Dynaudio Excite X14A, Focal Solo 6 BE, Genelec M040, or Neumann KH120?

srb

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2016, 12:03 am »
It appears to be a Hypex AS2.100d active plate amplifier or similar, which would mean Hypex is also responsible for the DSP board hardware design.  That would help to explain the choices of a C7 power inlet and no XLR inputs.  It's also possible there may be some OEM customization involved.

The USB port is used to upload configuration and filter settings, and I believe the S/PDIF out would be a digital link to a slave speaker.

I'm sure Jim can answer some of the questions related to crossover/slope design as it would be the speaker builder that decides those choices relative to the driver selection.  The remote supplied would also likely be a builder specified remote.

Steve
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2016, 07:54 pm by srb »

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2016, 06:14 pm »
srb is correct.  The amps are Hypex AS2.100d active amps.  We looked at a variety of amps and this one had a great combination of features at a reasonable cost.

Who designed the DSP crossover?

I assume you are asking who programmed the DSP crossover.  I did.

How is excess bass reinforcement from close to wall/corner setups accounted for?

It is not.  But if that is an issue with a customer, it can easily be addressed.  We can generate a new DSP file the customer can upload to the speakers to make any necessary modifications.

Again, crossover details (frequency/slope)?

The crossover is 2000Hz, 2nd order.

Why a C7 power input?

You would have to ask Hypex why they chose this.

What are the SPDIF and amp outputs for?

The S/PDIF output is used to feed the digital signal from the master speaker to the slave speaker.  The amp outputs are not used in this implementation.  They are provided in the event that the amp is used to power two passively crossed speakers.

What is the USB mini female jack for?

It serves two functions.  1) It is used to program the DSP and other amp functions.  2) It serves as a USB input for audio from a computer or music streaming device.

Why no XLR inputs?  (Guess the design isn't balanced, so it won't be going to the studio.)

I imagine Hypex made this choice in order to control costs.  As with any project, there is no limit to what is possible.  But it comes down to what functions and features make sense for a product at a given price point.  If XLR inputs are something a customer wants, we would simply use a different amp and the cost would increase accordingly.  We had an application in mind for this project and XLR inputs were not something required for that application.

Again, any image of the remote?

I'll try and find some time to photograph it.  I should also point out that the amps can be set to work with One-for-All remotes as well.

Any idea how they compare to established active monitors like Adam A7X, Dynaudio Excite X14A, Focal Solo 6 BE, Genelec M040, or Neumann KH120?

No idea.  I have used Genelec Monitors while engineering recording sessions in the past.  They are very capable but can be a bit on the bright side. Personally, I would prefer working these monitors in that situation.  Beyond that, I have not spent time with any of these other monitors.  Our goal was to build something we liked and fit our intended application.  As is true with any of our speakers, we simply don't pay much attention to what others are doing.  We take on projects that interest us and carry them out to the best of our abilities. We have found, over the years, that what we want is very often what our customers are looking for as well.  I hope that makes sense.

- Jim

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2016, 01:10 pm »
Does an extra gain stage (i.e. preamp) need to be added when using a turntable? Or would you plug the phono stage straight into the "line in" on the back of the master speaker. This is for MM cartridge with 3.5mV output.

gregcss

« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2016, 04:41 pm »
I am a customer of Jim's and would like to applaud his replies here and elsewhere....truthful and right to the point  :thumb: