Crossovers Are Evil-

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Crossovers Are Evil-
« Reply #60 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:30 pm »
Rich programs it for you to start.  It's just to get you started.  It has a fairly easy and transparent software that you can tweak to your content.  I ran my ribbons and 10 woofers through it first.  I sounded great when I played just digital source but the extra ad/da loop for analog playing was not as good.  I still got it to handle my woofers.  I can change poles, slope, phase, and gain.  I can add time correction and eq for optimum room integration.  The extra ad/dsp/da loop doesn't seems affect below 300 hz.  In fact, the added control has made my bass much better.  I can hear the improvement and I can see it in the f/r measurements.

Very good to know, thanks.  Is he doing this just from the forum or does he have a website or alternate outlet?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #61 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:49 pm »
Very good to know, thanks.  Is he doing this just from the forum or does he have a website or alternate outlet?

HAL stands for Hollis Audio Labs.  He has a FB page.

Audiophile58

« Reply #62 on: 23 Apr 2015, 08:07 pm »
Agree (I think). 

Volume level is not the only criteria.  There are many, many speakers that will play louder than omegas.   Omegas will likely sound better than most multiway speakers at lower volumes.  And they will very likely excel at imaging over most multiways, certainly those at comparable cost.  IMO, if high volume is a primary requirement, single drivers may not be the best choice.

Where Omegas shine is what most multi driver speakers cannot do .for Little monies a good SET  amplifier
Brings a realism into the room .myself have a Modified Jas Bravo 18 wpc Integrated amp that is you are there in many ways especially the critical midrange . The top end nor the midbass is rolled off.i do use a powered Subwoofer to augment the last  1.5 octave. This setup will do something's No multi drive can duplicate in,midrange realism.SET amps rule in that respect .Try it you will like what it can do.

a.wayne

« Reply #63 on: 23 Apr 2015, 08:48 pm »
Why would it image better , what makes one speaker image  better than another?  How can a small single driver box have more realism than a large multi driver setup ..?  I understand its all subjective ,  this imaging thing ....

for the record and IMO large speakers image better than small mini speakers .....

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #64 on: 23 Apr 2015, 09:05 pm »
Why would it image better , what makes one speaker image  better than another?  How can a small single driver box have more realism than a large multi driver setup ..?  I understand its all subjective ,  this imaging thing ....

for the record and IMO large speakers image better than small mini speakers .....

Others will probably chime in with more complete answers.  I have to be quick for now, so will just say it is about a single source of sound waves rather than multiple sources that multiways generate.  That "point source" seems to create a more precise image where multiways have to overcome the problem of smearing with electronics.

And my experience is the opposite regarding cabinet size.  Smaller gives more advantage for vivid imaging, IMO.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #65 on: 23 Apr 2015, 09:12 pm »

Dont play dumb you are old monkey in this forrest.
You fully aware fullrange drivers image better why they have any xover.
There is no better parts than Alnico and Hemp cones as used by Louis.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 23 Apr 2015, 09:16 pm »

Hey a.wayne,

In my years on this forum I've never seen you.  We all have our opinions and tastes.  Here at Omega we like small single drivers and small to medium sized boxes.  Seems you like speakers other than what's discussed here, so maybe you should move to a discussion forum where your opinion will fit in better.  The whole idea of a forum is to bring different thoughts and ideas to the table, but a negative attitude like yours doesn't fit in here.

RDavidson

« Reply #67 on: 23 Apr 2015, 09:33 pm »
CR. Don't take the bait. A.W. has a history of thread trashing and has no interest in actually learning anything "new." I await him to flame me now.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #68 on: 23 Apr 2015, 09:40 pm »

Why do point-source speakers have larger sweet spots than big speakers?
Why do large panels have head-in-vice imaging?