Update...We're back!!!

jsalk

Update...We're back!!!
« on: 19 May 2020, 07:38 pm »
 Upon occasion over the past few years, I have been asked if I had any plans to retire.  Having gone through almost 8 weeks of forced retirement, I can easily state that I have very little interest where that is concerned.  I was never more bored in my life!

Last week we re-started operations but progress was slow.  Much of the week was spent doing maintenance and re-acquainting ourselves with all the projects that were left hanging.  This week, we are starting to get our mojo back and will resume shipping some products tomorrow.

Obviously re-starting required us to take a close look at all of our operations in order to maintain safety.

For a number of weeks early on, Michigan was number 3 in cases behind New York and New Jersey.  And Oakland County, where we live and work, was the second hardest hit in the state.  Just this week, we passed 900 deaths in the county.  Most people live in counties with only a small fraction of that number. So some of you may find it hard to relate, but we've learned to take the virus very seriously here.

Our guys are not necessarily afraid of COVID-19, but they very much respect it.  So masks, constant hand-washing, disinfecting tools after use, temperature-taking and a number of other behaviors have become routine at this point.

We are thankful that we were able to secure a PPP loan to help with expenses during the shut-down and to pay employees now that we have returned.  And today, we were informed that the county has also rewarded us with a grant.  It would have been very trying and stressful without this financial support.

So I think we are in good shape and excited to be back in the business we love.

I also want to thank all the people who emailed or called during the shut-down just to check up on us. Since these are trying times for everyone, the fact that many of our audio friends thought of us was certainly unexpected and greatly appreciated.

When we were forced to shut down and the stock market basically tanked, we were concerned about how the downturn in the economy might affect our business long-term.  Of course, that question won't be resolved until some time down the road.  But I'm happy to report that we received almost as many calls and emails as we had before the coronavirus upended our lives.  Apparently, since people are generally staying home as much as possible, they are spending more time listening to good music.  For that reason, we're fairly optimistic that we can come out of this situation in fine shape.

Since AXPONA, RMAF and other shows were cancelled, we won't likely have a chance to visit with most of you in person anytime soon.  But you are in our thoughts and we'll pull out all the stops to help you achieve your dreams of fabulous sound.

Take care and be safe...

- Jim

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: Update...We're back!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2020, 07:53 pm »
Great news! Welcome back!!

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2020, 08:19 pm »
Fantastic news Jim!  Glad to hear your optimistic outlook.  Good luck and stay safe.

Rick

hilde45

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2020, 11:51 pm »
Very glad to hear this on many fronts! Make hay while the sun shines.

tufwheel

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2020, 11:59 pm »
Maybe you can make it to the Capital Audiofest...

jpag

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2020, 12:02 am »
Glad to hear it and stay safe. 

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2020, 12:20 am »
Good new indeed!  :thumb:

Jrhodus

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2020, 01:44 am »
Glad to hear that you and your crew are adapting to what will be the new norm for a good while.  Glad that you were able to get help and that the programs meant to help the small businesses are doing just that.  Keep safe, follow your protocols and hopefully everyone will do the right thing.   I work in the long term care industry and all it it takes is one person to start a outbreak in a given population.   

God Bless

DEP14

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2020, 01:54 am »
Great news Jim.  Glad you were able to get the PPP loan.  A friend of mine owns a small business and it has helped him also.  Many businesses are struggling to get one, understand one, or are actually afraid of it. 

Glad you guys are all healthy most importantly.

lewdogg

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2020, 02:03 am »
Great news! Glad to hear you're back!

Meicheng

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2020, 03:02 am »
Welcome Back!!

golddustpeak

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2020, 12:10 pm »
It's good to hear that your operation is back on line.

BETTER YET is that you are all healthy and well !!!!!!!!!!

jd3

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2020, 12:34 pm »
Jim,

Good to hear you're well and back at it.  We've had a few cases here in Northern Michigan but the percentage of deaths vs. confirmed cases is fairly high.  A local guy I knew died from Covid-19 last month.   

Stay safe!

John

NHSkier

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2020, 01:56 pm »
Jim,
I’m so glad to hear you guys are making it through this. If I may be so bold as to propose featuring a couple of your longtime employees on your website. More than ever, people want to buy American and support local/national craftsmen. Your team does exquisite work. Showcasing them alongside your museum-quality pieces might help attract new customers looking to make an aspirational purchase.

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2020, 02:05 pm »
Such good news!  Welcome back Jim (and Mary and employees!).  The world is a greater place with SalkSound in it.

Jeff in the D

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2020, 02:09 pm »
That’s really great to hear Jim. It has been, to say the least,  a strange surreal last couple of months. Until last week I had not left my house/property since March 13. Driving my truck on the Van Dyke Freeway, hitting 70 mph felt strangely liberating/exhilarating. It’s good to know you and Mary and the crew are all healthy. So sad, the news of Jeff Bagby passing, cant hardly look at my SS8s without acknowledging him. Here’s hoping the next wave is less deadly.

ddps

• Salk SS 9.5 / McIntosh MA8900 / Auralic Altair
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2020, 02:36 pm »
Great news, Jim! It takes brains and brawn to survive as a business these days, and you will be stronger on this, the other side. Stay safe, and keep making us happy with beautiful sounds!

Drew

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2020, 03:25 pm »
Get that county cleaned up, will ya! Hannah has a job waiting for her in your area and until she can start that she's mooching off us!! ha

Say hello to your lovely Mary!!

FYI, Kentucky has had:
Total Cases
Total Deaths

Hear the banjos? :lol:

twitch54

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2020, 05:33 pm »
Glad to hear an American company, employing Americans is back to work .....  :thumb:

Rich Carlson

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2020, 10:55 am »
Welcome back!  Glad to hear you're healthy - and not retiring!