phono stage

sts9fan

phono stage
« on: 6 May 2005, 03:19 pm »
can someone explain these to me. what would be a connection scheme and why do you need them??

Newbi McNewb

WEEZ

phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2005, 04:33 pm »
A phono stage does two things:

1) provides RIAA equalization to play LP records

2) provides anywhere from 35db to 60 db of gain, depending on the requirements of your cartridge.

It is used between your tonearm cables and a line level input on your pre-amp; integrated amp; or receiver.

WEEZ

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
phono stage
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2005, 04:45 pm »
Magnetic fono cartridges, which about 99.9999% are, generate very little output.  A 'high-output' cartridge generates about 5 thousandths of a Volt (5mV) while playing a standard test tone (which is 3.54 whachamacallits per channel at 1KHz).  'Medium-output' carts generate somewhere around 1- to 2mV, while low-output (LO) carts, almost always moving-coil types, generate no more than around 0.5mV.

The 5mV is 40 deciBels below a nominal 'line' Voltage of 0.5 Volts.  This 0.5 Volts would be enough to drive some poweramps (PAs) to full output and about-all PAs to quite-high levels.  A line-level preamp will control and amplify that line-level Voltage and have switching circuitry.

So the first function of a fono preamp is to amplify the cart's signal about 40dB, and some will have enough additional gain, usually 20- to 30dB more and usually switchable, to amplify the outputs of LO carts.  ('Prepreamps' are amplifiers that perform only this latter amplification.)

The other function of a fono preamp is to apply the RIAA equalization curve to the cart's output.  The Recording Industry Association of America invented this equalization curve to help make records more listenable and less noisy.  The playback half is a downslope beginning in the bass, with the treble info (and surface noise) down greatly compared with bass.  A picture of it is here http://www.euronet.nl/~mgw/background/riaa/uk_riaa_background_1.html.

So you need a fono preamp if you want to play records with a magnetic cartridge.  It's fed by the cable coming out of the recordplayer's arm, and it feeds (usually) the linestage preamp.

I hope this helps.

sts9fan

so
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2005, 04:58 pm »
Tone arm > phono preamp > preamp > amp??

Thanks for the help but I think I am more confused then ever!! :(

Lets see if I am. So you are saying that the voltage from the cart is too low for a normal preamp. Correct? So a phona pre is actually a type of amp?

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: so
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2005, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: sts9fan
Tone arm > phono preamp > preamp > amp??

Thanks for the help but I think I am more confused then ever!! :(

Lets see if I am. So you are saying that the voltage from the cart is too low for a normal preamp. Correct? So a phona pre is actually a type of amp?

not only is the output from a fono cartridge too low for a line stage preamp, but it is not flat from 20hz to 20khz.  there's an riaa (record industry of america) eq curve that needs to be addressed; fono stages address this also.  sure, a fono stage is a type of amp, yust as a preamp is a type of amp.    the line stage preamp amplifies the signal of cd, tuner, tape, etc, for the amp, the fono stage preamp does the same for the turntable.  of course, as cd/tuner/tape/etc, offer far more gain than turntables, & don't have an riaa curve to deal with, some folk like to use "passive" preamps, which do not have any gain of their own.

doug s.