My list is down to 3 speakers

AintJoM0mma

« on: 21 Oct 2004, 08:48 pm »
Well, after much research and talk with other AC members, I finally narrowed my list down to 3 speakers. I want dynamics, headroom, imaging, accuracy, detail, and MUSICALLITY. I need a speaker that can ROCK :rock:  

-Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE with REL\HSU\SVS Subwoofer
-Totem Forest\Hawk
-Sp Technology

I hear the Dynaudios can be analitical but if paired with musical gear, they can be musical. What do you guys think?

RooX

« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:04 pm »
i think we should know if you have listened to any of these speakers

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:05 pm »
Nope haha

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:14 pm »
first thing you should do is take a deep breath and relax-
THIS ISNT A BASH

you are all over the place - tube amps, then ss, then digital.

now you want approval for speakers,no one here hears the same as you or has the same equipment or room.

so it doesnt matter what stuff we approve for your use-lol

price of a piece doesnt make it great either-remember that.

first off since this is your first audiophile system right?
if so take small steps and dont try and find audio nervana first time out. systems evolve over a long period of time.

heck what kind of tweeters do you like better, soft dome- metal dome-ribbon-horn. every one has one they like best , have you heard them all yet?

have you decided what type of amp yet- some speakers  do  not work well with some amps.

have you gotten any room treatments yet-this is also very important.

what is your source -cd-tuner ect

all this info helps when you ask a question.

the guys here would like nothing better than to help, just relax take a deep breath-lol

best advice i can give is buy some used stuff and get started on the cheap-you wont take a killing if you find you dont like the piece.

go cheap first time out  and decide what you prefer then begin upgrades with the $$ you saved not spending big bucks from the start.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:16 pm »
Have not bought amp preamp yet. That will depend on the speakers. So will the CD Player

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:19 pm »
if you have any hifi shops around  spend some time at one and listen this weekend.
come back and tell us what you liked about a speaker or didnt like.
then we can work with your taste in stead of shooting blind :lol:

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:23 pm »
WELLLLL I hate paradigm for one. Absolutley hate it, thinnest sound I ever heard in my life. No musicallity at all, no image. Right now im using defintive technology BP7004's. I think they are ok, I love how they produce such a big sound and are musical, but thats about it. I think they need to be improved in about everything else. Hope that helps  :)

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:40 pm »
i had deaf tech before and hated them.metal tweeter was brutaly harsh.

all speakers can sound bad if used and setup wrong.
all speakers have draw backs so you wont find a perfect one either-

at your age this is what i would do to start off.
find a pair of used rocket 750's(8-900$) -they will crank for your parties and still sound good when you want regular volume-

a shengya s10 or usa model kavent cd player-(5-600$)

dont know what kind of amp and pre to recomend , you had a good one.
if it was me i would call klaus and get the new intigrated.(under a grand)

this would be a kick ass system to get started with- :mrgreen:

Mad DOg

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:41 pm »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
...Right now im using defintive technology BP7004's. I think they are ok, I love how they produce such a big sound and are musical, but thats about it. I think they need to be improved in about everything else. Hope that helps  :)

regarding def tech...they play big, but i wouldn't call them musical...

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:10 pm »
Well then. Its either gonna be Dynaudio or SP Tech, anyone compared these 2 speakers? And I dont hold parties in my 12' x 12' room hahaha  :lol:

Mad DOg

Re: My list is down to 3 speakers
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:11 pm »
...I want dynamics, headroom, imaging, accuracy, detail, and MUSICALLITY. I need a speaker that can ROCK :rock:

what CDs are you going to be listening to? if it's a bunch of crappy, compressed rock recordings, you'll have a hard time getting there...

Mad DOg

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:14 pm »
-Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII with REL\HSU\SVS Subwoofer

I hear the Dynaudios can be analitical but if paired with musical gear, they can be musical. What do you guys think?

i've heard the contour 1.3mkIIs and they tend to run on the warm side instead of analytical. it's a good speaker that likes good, clean power driving them. good detail, but not the last word on it. i think it would be a huge improvement over the Def Techs...

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:48 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
-Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII with REL\HSU\SVS Subwoofer

i've heard the contour 1.3mkIIs and they tend to run on the warm side instead of analytical. it's a good speaker that likes good, clean power driving them. good detail, but not the last word on it. i think it would be a huge improvement over the Def Techs...

Not the last word in it. Is anything in that price range the last word in it?  :lol:  Would it be able to rock? Would it have a big and clear image and involve me in the music?

Mad DOg

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:56 pm »
Would it be able to rock? Would it have a big and clear image and involve me in the music?

anything on your list it gonna be an improvement over your bipolar DTs...properly driven Dyns play pretty big...monitors generally image pretty darn good. i found them to be involving...

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2004, 11:12 pm »
Really go for the Dyn 1.3 SE not the MKII, the SE is QUITE a bit better seriously.  I don't like the MKIIs at all but thinkt he SEs are quite good. Find them used or something.  Special 25s are suppose to be great too but don't know if you can swing it or find them used in your price range.

Mad DOg

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2004, 11:18 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Really go for the Dyn 1.3 SE not the MKII, the SE is QUITE a bit better seriously.  I don't like the MKIIs at all but thinkt he SEs are quite good. Find them used or something.  Special 25s are suppose to be great too but don't know if you can swing it or find them used in your price range.
1.3SEs are indeed a step up, but if we keeping throwing in more suggestions, AOJ's list will only continue to grow... :nono: :lol:

while the MkIIs aren't great, they will be quite good esp when you consider the speaker he's coming from right now...substantial upgrade IMO...

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2004, 02:25 am »
Sorry.. Hah, im such a noob. I mean to say SE's. I thought the MK II's were the same thing lol. SE...Second Edition...MK II....2nd Model? Oh well I meant the SE's. Those or sp techs.  :P

Mad DOg

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2004, 02:54 am »
Sorry.. Hah, im such a noob. I mean to say SE's. I thought the MK II's were the same thing lol. SE...Second Edition...MK II....2nd Model? Oh well I meant the SE's. Those or sp techs.  :P

SE=Special Edition

jpsartre

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2004, 02:58 am »
If you haven't auditioned (m)any speakers yet, you owe it to yourself to give the Maggies a chance (http://www.magnepan.com). You can have their MMG for $550 and risk-free 60 day at home evaluation. Your total commitment is $40 for the return after 2 months if you don't like them. Call Mike Dzurko at ACI and get one of his small subwoofers, xover at 80 Hz or so and you'll be hard pressed to beat this conbo with 3x the money.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2004, 03:03 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg

SE=Special Edition

Whoops.  :lol: