My 12 year old 55 inch Panasonic plasma just won't die!

Emil

I think it may actually be older :icon_lol:

I really want a 65 inch but cannot justify it as long as the Panasonic is still kicking.

I have my eye on these new OlED sets particularly this LG.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED65C8PUA-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B079V3J3Y9

I watch mostly cable TV ( Optimum Cablevision here on Long island)  with some streaming thru Amazon and Netflix. Would the LG be overkill?
is the signal from cable and netflix of good quality to take full advantage of this cutting edge technology?

Comments and advice much appreciated

OzarkTom

Re: My 12 year old 55 inch Panasonic plasma just won't die!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2018, 03:37 pm »
I saw a 65 inch 4G at Best Buy for $600 over the weekend that I wanted, but I also have a 55 inch Panasonic plasma that is about 10 years old and still looks great to my eyes.

Looks like Panasonic plasmas are dead.

https://www.cnet.com/news/rip-panasonic-plasma-tvs-reactions-from-industry-experts/

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2018, 03:41 pm »
I have a 52" Sony LCD, over 10 years old, and I was looking at Black Friday sales too, but I also have two kids in college :/

So decided upgrade will wait at least one more year.

Curious to see what you do, but I was looking at lower end stuff when I was dreaming last week.

Randy

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2018, 03:45 pm »
I have a 52" Sony LCD, over 10 years old, and I was looking at Black Friday sales too, but I also have two kids in college :/

So decided upgrade will wait at least one more year.

Curious to see what you do, but I was looking at lower end stuff when I was dreaming last week.

Randy

My kids are out of college and living on there own  :thumb:
Your day will come :icon_lol:

Being an audiophile it seems you never consider anything you can comfortably afford. Always pushing the envelope.

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2018, 03:53 pm »
I too have a 55" Panasonic plasma and unless something about OLED technology has really improved in the last year since I last looked a new TV's, the plasma display still looks better to me in some respects (shadow separation and black density.) I'm really bummed that plasma went the way of the dodo.

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:03 pm »
I too have a 55" Panasonic plasma and unless something about OLED technology has really improved in the last year since I last looked a new TV's, the plasma display still looks better to me in some respects (shadow separation and black density.) I'm really bummed that plasma went the way of the dodo.

Good point! I just assumed it would be better but these new sets do look phenomenal at Best Buy.
What strikes me most is a greater sense of depth. Almost 3D like.

Of course the signal feed is a closed circuit.

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:15 pm »
Totally understand the dilemma. My 55" Panasonic VT25 plasma is still going strong. I had it calibrated by BestBuy back in 2012 when i bought, and it looks absolutely fantastic. I cannot truly make a case for a new TV with this one functioning the way it is. Pity they are no longer made ... it truly is a beautiful TV.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:16 pm »
All the Ham radio operators are happy when their neighbors plasma TV's finally die.  They are a great source of interference. Why your hi-fi might sound better with the TV turned off.

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:23 pm »
Same deal with my 10 year old 58" Panasonic plasma.  The dang thing just won't die.  I might have to shoot it.  :guns:  I really like the LG OLED 65" rig.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:31 pm »
Emil, If if ain't broke don't fix it. What's a matter for you ? :duh:

charles

Photon46

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:41 pm »
All the Ham radio operators are happy when their neighbors plasma TV's finally die.  They are a great source of interference. Why your hi-fi might sound better with the TV turned off.

Best thing I ever did for my sound system was getting the tv out of the listening room  :lol:

RoadTripper

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:42 pm »
55 inch is kinda little. We got the Samsung QLED 65 inch in September and now wish we'd have waited 2 months for all of the Samsungs to go on sale which they did. We could have sprung for the 75 inch. My internet bandwidth is more than sufficient to keep these new units well fed. And the HD antenna works great for local channels.

I'm eyeing the 82 inch for the not-yet-finished entertainment room.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:49 pm »
I have many Panny plasma's around my house.

60 inch in the basement, bought that at the end of life for them around 4 years ago.

55 inch on the main floor - won that through a Tim Horton's coffee promotion around 7 years ago - did have to replace 1 board in it around 5 years ago.

Another 60 inch in the bedroom - had a 42 (would be 12 years old now) but inherited the 60.  Was worth lugging it up there!

When one of them dies, I will see what is out there.  Would consider whatever tech is doing well at the time, but happy they are all running well so far.

Agree that the modern TV's are larger even for the same size as bezels have shrunk.  Will likely be able to stuff a 65 where the 55 is now (the fireplace area was built to house a 60 dimensionally 7 years ago).

Mudslide

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:04 pm »

charles

That's what I said to my first wife.        It didn't  work.      (Minus the "Emil" part.)

Emil

« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:28 pm »

charles

If that were the case, you HIFI dealers would be out of business :icon_lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:30 pm »
Best thing I ever did for my sound system was getting the tv out of the listening room  :lol:

BRILLIANT !!!!

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:31 pm »
If that were the case, you HIFI dealers would be out of business :icon_lol:

Nah !! Its a passion with music. Have a glass of wine on the house.

charles

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:38 pm »
I saw a 65 inch 4G at Best Buy for $600 over the weekend that I wanted, but I also have a 55 inch Panasonic plasma that is about 10 years old and still looks great to my eyes.

Looks like Panasonic plasmas are dead.

https://www.cnet.com/news/rip-panasonic-plasma-tvs-reactions-from-industry-experts/

I had a Panny plasma until this year. As a film-lover I was reluctant, but it was just too heavy to take another move. I replaced it with the well-reviewed TCL P607 4K. No contest, the TCL is just better. The contrast, the color, how it handles 1080p and lower images. And TCL has a new model this year that is even better. The Pannys just don't compete against really good 4K TVs, and nowhere near OLED.

The other catch with plasma is that if you calculate the money you've spent on electricity bills over the time of ownership you may have even doubled the cost of the TV. Another reason to just get a new TV now since they are far more energy efficient. Plasmas use up a lot of juice.

Not all new TVs are created equal. TCL and Vizio are the only <$1k brands I would purchase and the reviews back that up. Next up from that maybe a Sony, and then QLED or OLED.

For new TV reviews I like RTings.com.

randytsuch

« Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:49 pm »
When I was dreaming before, I was looking at the TCL and Rtings.com reviews.
Good to hear I was on the right track.  Amazing what you can get now for less than $1000.

And with the small bezel, a new 65" will be about 1/2" taller and 1" wider than my 52" LCD with it's HUGE bezel lol.
Weighs a lot less too, that surprised me when I was comparing specs.

Well maybe next black Friday.

Randy

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2018, 06:02 pm »
When I was dreaming before, I was looking at the TCL and Rtings.com reviews.
Good to hear I was on the right track.  Amazing what you can get now for less than $1000.

And with the small bezel, a new 65" will be about 1/2" taller and 1" wider than my 52" LCD with it's HUGE bezel lol.
Weighs a lot less too, that surprised me when I was comparing specs.

Well maybe next black Friday.

Randy

When I bought my TCL I almost dismissed it because Best Buy had it alllllll the way over at the end of the TV section, mounted up high with an unflattering display by the cheapy and outdated models. Thank goodness I did my research.

The only downside to the TCL (and maybe other new TVs at this point) is the main display. Since it has an integrated Roku the main display is similar and includes promotional ads for other channels that pop up on the right side of the screen and you can't get rid of it. Also, the remote controls everything. No buttons on the TV itself. So it's not a great option for technophobes. Upside, you can use your smartphone as a remote as well including audio if you need to use headphones. You can also do advanced display changes (gamma, color temp, even specific grading) with your phone using the Roku app.