Lessloss power cable review

mmakshak

Lessloss power cable review
« on: 27 Apr 2008, 06:29 pm »
  I had just bought some Acoustic Zen double-barreled biwire speaker cable, which I may have hooked up incorrectly.  Anyway, I thought I might need to introduce some silver to get back some sparkle in the sound(compared to what it sounded like with one speaker using a single Signal Cable Silver Resolution speaker cable and the other speaker wired with the Acoustic Zen biwire), when the Lessloss power cord arrived(a $350 special on Audiogon, until the end of April).  That thought about adding some silver completely disappeared.  The Lessloss was used to replace a Valab(ebay) power cord, which was better than the Volex 17604 that was used on my Oritek OMZ DAC($1200, and beats my $3200 preamp and $2500 cd player).  These were plugged into an Oneac 1103 power conditioner.  While the Oneac fleshed out the sound(better tone, etc.), I had this nagging feeling that it slightly slowed the sound.  The Lessloss is plugged directly into the wall.  Another problem solved.  The main thing I noticed when first plugging in the Lessloss was the disappearing act it did to my speakers.  The sound just wasn't connected to speakers anymore.  Because I had changed two things at once(Acoustic Zen and Lessloss), I can't really comment reliably on other aspects of the sound(such as female voices).  I have dedicated lines, many acoustic treatments(Cathedral Sound, ASC, RPG), maplewood, Bright Star Audio.  The Oritek is a preamp/DAC, transport is Denon 3910, Nuforce 8.5(V2 power cords) amps, and Sota Time Domain 4 speakers(think Watt/Puppies).  Interconnects are Oritek X-2's and Valab solid-silver. I will be getting two more Lessloss power cords for use on my Nuforce's, after trying one out on my transport.  I don't have much experience with power cords, but I don't believe an opportunity like this will be repeated.  Get them while you can(before the end of April, which includes 30% off their power cords for one year).  I should mention that this might be the power cord to get if you have people telling you to turn the sound down.  It makes music very satisfying at low levels.

Jon L

Re: Lessloss power cable review
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2008, 07:32 pm »
Do you have any other "known" power cables to directly compare?  If not, since I do have the Volex, could you specifically mention differences?
Tonal balance--which is "warmer"
Resolution of detail
Bass amount, definition, extension
Treble "air" 

It seems like a lot of these Lessloss cord "reviews" don't include comparisons to other well-known, high-performing power cords, and I'm trying to decide whether to go for the $350 special, which ends in a couple of days.

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2008, 02:24 pm »
Jon,
Not sure if this helps - but here goes with one data point for you.
I received the LessLoss PC last Thursday, it replaced an Acoustic Zen Tsunami PC (nothing exotic just a well made PC).  The AZ PC replaced homemade PC's using Marinco connectors and Belden cable, the AZ cable was an improvement at the time.
The LessLoss has been running continuously, initially I noticed an improvement in instrument separation, a little more detail and overall smoothness when directly compared against the AZ.  Rather than make decisions on immediate A/B comparisons I've found that letting an equipment change run for a few days/weeks gives me a better idea on how I can live with the change.  Consequently I put the AZ back in my system yesterday and found I didn't like it, the LessLoss is just easier to live with.  One area I haven't had the time to explore is bass, I still hit the lower frequencies with the LessLoss but haven't had the time to check if the low frequency definition is there. 
If you buy the LessLoss before the end of April you lock in a future discount also, a further incentive to buy - In my system the offer price is good value, and it fits in with the max amount of $ I want to invest in this area.

My system:
Modwright Transporter
Musical Fidelity KW500
Salk HT3's
Greg Straley IC's and Speaker Cable

Forgot to add that the LessLoss is running on my TP, the KW500 has a 20amp connector so cannot try it out on my amp.

« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2008, 04:42 pm by Philistine »

IronLion

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2008, 02:30 pm »
Are you running your Modwright TP direct into your KW500 using digital attenuation? Sorry if this is off topic...

mmakshak

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2008, 02:56 pm »
  Darn, I lost my reply.  Just briefly, here goes.  Tvad says Lessloss has a pleasant warmth.  Resolution of detail, and the amount of detail is the best I've had.  Bass(not a good point in my system, other than the AZ shotgun is known for it) definition is the best I've had.  Amount is better, but speaker placement is not done.  You want to know about extension from one 8-inch woofer in a sealed enclosure per side?  Treble air is not something I can talk about(due to biwiring a possible triwirable speaker), but when I put in the Lessloss, treble appeared where there was none before.  The Valab beat the Volex, although I didn't analyze why.  I wanted to mention to Luidas, that I wouldn't have purchased the Lessloss without prodding from Jp1208(Audiogon).  Tvad is someone else I would try to keep happy, as he is like the resident expert of pc's on Audiogon.  I'm not experienced on pc's.  I can say this, though.  You will be absolutely blown away replacing the Volex with the Lessloss, and in ways that you won't be expecting!

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2008, 02:59 pm »
The Lessloss is an excellent pc.  I got one last Friday and it's been on my cdp ever since.  It replaced a Black Sand Violet ZII, which I feel it betters in many ways, though I haven't done a critical, direct comparison yet.  The comment about the speakers disappearing is a very valid one...the system is noticeably more dimensional with the Lessloss.  I'm going to do comparisons to a Violet Z1, ZII and DH Labs Red Wave on all 3 components in my system in the next few days and will report back.

Philistine

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2008, 04:38 pm »
Are you running your Modwright TP direct into your KW500 using digital attenuation? Sorry if this is off topic...

The KW500 is a two box integrated amp, the power supply is one of these and the power amp and preamp are combined in the second.  So the TP does go through a preamp stage and in theory I don't have to use the digital attenuation of the TP.  But to complicate things I use the KW500 to drive the front L/R when using multi-channel and HT, to do this I have to set the volume at a constant level to ensure correct volume levels for all speakers.  As the volume level of the KW500 is at constant level for all inputs this means that I do have to use the digital volume control on the TP, and this has been very effective.
Trust this helps.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2008, 04:58 pm »
It replaced a Black Sand Violet ZII, which I feel it betters in many ways, though I haven't done a critical, direct comparison yet. 

You're the guy I need to talk to!  I love Violet ZI's, and I was thinking about either picking up ZII vs. Lessloss.  I asked Black Sands, who told me there shouldn't be too much difference bet. ZI and ZII (true?).

What I do NOT want when I change from Z1 to Lessloss:

1.  Less detail.  Z1 is very well-detailed top-to-bottom, but especially in the midrange, which I need to be well resolved.

2.  More "laid back" or much "warmer" sound or too "smooth."  I hate cords that have a bit much warmth and bass energy or midrange/treble that stays back too much.  I found this "problem" with cords like Harmonic Tech Fantasy 10, for example. 

3.  Darker sound.  I hate those cords that are shielded to death and choke off the air. 

IronLion

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:02 pm »
Jon L, I'm in the same boat as you, with a ZII already on the way (should arrive today) and some curiosity about the LessLoss cable.  While I don't think I will make the jump for the LessLoss despite the tempting pricing at the moment, I doubt that anybody here would describe it (based off their descriptions) in any of the three ways you listed. 

reflex

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:16 pm »
I'll have some comments later today about how all these power cords compare...at least in my system and to my ear.

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2008, 09:24 pm »
I am looking forward to the reviews of the LessLoss power cord versus other power cords, especially the Black Sand Violet ZI or ZII. I have the ZI and I can say compared to other powercords (VH Audio Flavor 2, Analysis Plus Power Oval, Nordost Shiva) it is very dynamic. I really need dynamics to compensate for the basic power supply inside my Panny XR55. (So far I have not heard from anybody on how they manage to squeeze in so much dynamics in the Violet. It is very very apparent. All those power cord skeptics should check this out. Very obvious).

DSK

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2008, 10:24 pm »
I've stumbled across a couple of comments from posters preferring the LessLoss to the Black Sand Z1 but haven't seen any comparisons between the LessLoss and Black Sand Silver Ref MkV ... anyone compared these yet?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2008, 12:52 am »
mmakshak...
Tvad is someone else I would try to keep happy, as he is like the resident expert of pc's on Audiogon.
He's also a member here....just doesn't post much anymore. (hi Grant.. :wave: )

some young guy

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2008, 01:28 am »
Yeah, from the looks of his classifieds: Grant may have owned almost as many power cords as Chris has leaned on speakers!  :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2008, 01:33 am »
Grant's ear and assesment of PC's has always been true for me...and he has heard many of them...

reflex

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2008, 02:10 am »
As promised, I spent awhile comparing a Black Sand Violet ZII and the Lessloss Dynamic Filtering PC in my system.  Tonight I did a comparison on the CDP and will move to a preamp and then power amp comparison over the next few days.  

Let me first give a description of the system used and the room where my system resides.  The room is 13' x 17' with listening in the long dimension.  Homemade acoustic panels line the wall behind the speakers and a single panel is on each side wall.  Equipment used for eval is all Parasound.  Anyone not familiar with this stuff should certainly give it a listen if possible if you're looking for relatively low-priced gear that has all the attributes one wants in a 2-channel playback system.  Very dimensional, smooth, extended and dynamic.  We were surprised by what we heard from the JC-2/A21 combo when we got it in to demo and used Ayre as a reference...we picked up the line immediately.  I opted for the more affordable P-3/A23 setup and am just overjoyed with how musical this stuff sounds.  I also have a D-3 Universal Player, which has the video and digital sections turned off (a nice option) and the display dimmed when listening.  These changes can easily be heard in my system, btw.  All equipment is fairly well isolated on maple bases with other isolation tricks as well.  Interconnects are Reality Cable IC SE's from cd to pre, White Zombie ZeroPointZero from pre to power.  As an aside, the White Zombie's EASILY bettered Audioquest Sky's in a comparison with a number of listeners...most of whom have sold their Skys.  A biwire set of Reality Cables run to the speakers.  A DH Labs Red Wave is used on the A23 power amp and a Black Sands Violet Z1 is on the preamp.  I'll be doing a comparison of the Lessloss on these two components next.  Speakers are JMLab Electra 926's with a Rythmik Audio DS12 (dynamite sub!) on the right side and temporarily, an Era Sub10 on the left side.

Well, I read all the rave reviews for the Lessloss before finally taking the plunge and ordering one.  Less than a week later it was in hand.  It's a nice looking cable, with the three conductors woven, giving it a bulky look...but very flexible in actual use.  The connectors are Oyaide 079's and fit snugly in both receptacle and IEC inlet.  My understanding of how this cable does it's thing is not by being shielded, but by massively increasing the surface area of the conductors and actually using skin effect of higher frequencies to filter out noise and interference.  Someone correct me, if I'm wrong in that.  No magic powder, multiple shields or mumbo jumbo wire types/geometries.  Seems more like taking what is normally seen as a negative and turning it into a positive when it comes to an AC wire.  Check out the Lessloss sight for more info on this.

I had it connected to the D-3 for three days of casual listening (though it was left on the whole time).  I don't think it's anywhere near broken in yet...though the ZII I compared it to certainly is.  I listened for an hour or so at volume and warmed the system up, then picked a few tracks for consideration.  The Lessloss sounds very smooth, yet detailed and extended with great bass...both in body, impact and extension.  Dynamics and dimensionality are superb.  My system images pretty well, but the Lessloss seems to add an even greater degree of "thereness" that I have not heard before.  This PC just seems to make the system more "musical".  Better timing...better pace...more fluid.  Everything seems to be more realistic and there is a gain in detail.  Everything has more body, more sense of being in a 3 dimensional soundfield than I have heard in this room before.  Probably the most noticeably are cymbals.  Not just clean and well defined, but they now have the brassy body of a real cymbal.

So how does the Black Sand Violet ZII compare?  It makes the system sound a bit more "hi-fi" and less like music in the room.  The sound is noticeably brighter, but more than that the fluidness of the Lessloss is lost.  Cymbals lose a bit of the brassy sound.  The soundfield is just about as wide, but depth and most importantly the 3D-ness that the Lessloss imparts collapsed.  Delineation of instruments is noticeably less and the "they're in the room" feeling is also lessened.  You seem to be able to "see" things with the Lessloss and it got a bit confusing with the Black Sand.  Low bass extension is not as good, but upper bass is pretty close to the same.  Dynamics are pretty close as well.

I know this makes the Black Sand sound like it's not a good PC...but it is.  The Lessloss is just that much better, IMHO.  At least in this application.  We'll see what happens when it gets connected to the pre and power over the next few days.  The DH Labs Red Wave is a killer power cord.  I would not be surprised if it loses that one.

If I had to sum up the Lessloss in 3 words or less, I would call it "musically liquid 3D".  (That is 3 words, ain't it?)

reflex
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2008, 02:44 am by reflex »

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2008, 04:22 am »
Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I have stopped the power cord merry-go-round some time ago after I found cords that synergize well with my system and tastes, the Violet Z1.  I can imagine that in solid state based or high-power push-pull tube amp systems, Z1 may come across as relatively brighter, even "grainy."  It certainly is when compared to something like my Omega Mikro cord.  Then again Z1 has more body and robustness as well as more "presence" in the upper-midrange/vocals.  This suits my micro-power single-ended tube amp system very well, and in fact I prefer the Z1 over Black Sands Silver Reference IV for that "presence." 

I think I'll hop off the power cord merry-go-round once again and be happy with the synergy I have.  It's just that you hear so much talk and hype about certain cables, it just "pulls you back in." :nono:

paul canady

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2008, 06:57 am »
I have 5 Lessloss cords and should have waited a couple days later to get that 5th cord but was told after asking nicely for a discount for a multiple return customer that $500 was the very best they could do. Paid the $500 price tag and the exact day it landed on my door step Lessloss dropped the price to $350. :duh:  Lessloss learned ( pun intended). I bet if I was Lithuanian that would not have happened.
There reply was in my own words: Since you are a returning customer and placed your order a few days (4) earlier there is nothing we would like to do for you. You can't even get the special deal now because you have already bought too many. The best we can do now is $400 but if you send us a new customer he can get the cord for $350. You Americans are pretty stupid so you will probably jump on this most excellent deal eh! Oh, and can you write a review for me please and make it honest because I wouldn't want anybody thinking I was trying to buy them.
   After that being said, the fact that I have 5 of them means I like them but they are not the end all. Yes, the $400 deal was actually offered to me even though the price on Audiogon was $350. I guess that is the way they do it over there :thumb:

some young guy

« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2008, 07:03 am »
I think I'll hop off the power cord merry-go-round once again and be happy with the synergy I have.  It's just that you hear so much talk and hype about certain cables, it just "pulls you back in." :nono:
No doubt... you just start wondering. don't you? Maybe there's just a little more magic... a little better synergy?

I think I may be getting a little better though. I've been buying a lot more music lately.

reflex

« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2008, 12:23 pm »
I have 5 Lessloss cords and should have waited a couple days later to get that 5th cord but was told after asking nicely for a discount for a multiple return customer that $500 was the very best they could do. Paid the $500 price tag and the exact day it landed on my door step Lessloss dropped the price to $350. :duh:  Lessloss learned ( pun intended). I bet if I was Lithuanian that would not have happened.
There reply was in my own words: Since you are a returning customer and placed your order a few days (4) earlier there is nothing we would like to do for you. You can't even get the special deal now because you have already bought too many. The best we can do now is $400 but if you send us a new customer he can get the cord for $350. You Americans are pretty stupid so you will probably jump on this most excellent deal eh! Oh, and can you write a review for me please and make it honest because I wouldn't want anybody thinking I was trying to buy them.
   After that being said, the fact that I have 5 of them means I like them but they are not the end all. Yes, the $400 deal was actually offered to me even though the price on Audiogon was $350. I guess that is the way they do it over there :thumb:

Did they really say something like that to you after purchasing so many of their pc's?  The part about Americans being stupid?