New guy intro

GordnFreman

New guy intro
« on: 4 Aug 2023, 03:07 pm »
Hey everyone, I’m Dan and have been around this forum quite a while. I’m retired and have been into hi end audio and pro sound mixing a long time.
I am intrigued by the NX Studio’s and was wondering how they do with lower level listening?
Played drums for 50 years and my hearing is not exactly what it used to be, I think you all know what I mean.
Oh, also, with the double trouble subs, could you turn them and have them firing sideways into the room?
My room is 12’ front to the wall behind my sofa. To the right 8’ to that wall and open on the left to a breakfast nook and the kitchen. The subs will have to be close to the front wall and the Studios on top of them.
Thanks and nice to meet you all!
Dan

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: New guy intro
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2023, 04:52 pm »
Open baffle subs need to be at least 3ft into the room. If the baffles of the subs will have to be closer than 3ft. to the front wall, they are not the subs for that application. The Servo Sealed Plus is the sub is the best option in that case. You would put the studio monitors on stands then put the sub or subs where you get the best bass response at the listening position.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2023, 04:57 pm »
You definitely should NOT point the subs sideways.  It will create a bass null at the listening position.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2023, 06:37 pm »
Welcome GordnFreman,

I have a pair of NX Studios and I listen to them from about 50db to around 75db maybe sitting about 6' to 10' away.

IMHO they sound very good at low to medium volume so dont worry.

Wayne in Oregon

GordnFreman

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2023, 10:41 pm »
You definitely should NOT point the subs sideways.  It will create a bass null at the listening position.
[/quote

Hey brother, thanks for you quick reply.
Even if the subs are one forward and one backward?

GordnFreman

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2023, 10:42 pm »
Welcome GordnFreman,

I have a pair of NX Studios and I listen to them from about 50db to around 75db maybe sitting about 6' to 10' away.

IMHO they sound very good at low to medium volume so dont worry.

Wayne in Oregon

Hi Wayne,
Thanks man, that is the volume I listen at.

GordnFreman

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2023, 10:49 pm »
Open baffle subs need to be at least 3ft into the room. If the baffles of the subs will have to be closer than 3ft. to the front wall, they are not the subs for that application. The Servo Sealed Plus is the sub is the best option in that case. You would put the studio monitors on stands then put the sub or subs where you get the best bass response at the listening position.

Mr. Lundy,
Thanks man, I can’t use the double trouble anyway, can’t deal with speaker’s weighing 100lbs +, have a bad back with degenerative disc’s. I am looking at a pair of Rythmic Audio subs that are sealed servo’s and 19” tall.
You are the person I will be commissioning to build the Studio’s for me.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2023, 03:10 am »
Another vote that the NX-Studios are a great fit for every occasion. Really they're like the Most Interesting Man In The World. They don't always have to crank the volume, but when they do they still sound great.

GordnFreman

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2023, 02:02 pm »
Love it!
Another vote that the NX-Studios are a great fit for every occasion. Really they're like the Most Interesting Man In The World. They don't always have to crank the volume, but when they do they still sound great.

Awesome!