Nx Otica in Room Response

Glady86

Re: Nx Otica in Room Response
« Reply #40 on: 13 Aug 2023, 12:50 pm »
They should work well. I’m using the ATS Diffusers. The GIK Q7D wasn’t available when I purchased.

Don P.

I've just found a seller on ebay offering basically the same thing fot a bit cheaper though there not finished like the GIK. For fun, didn't place the order, I put four items in my cart at GIK. Just two bass traps and two diffusers, and the price was getting close to a double trouble subwoofer kit.  :icon_surprised:

For now I have a room lens at each side of the tv.

I did a couple more measurments just moving the mic closser and the response is flatter about two feet closer. But it sounds better to me back to where it measures worse. The soundstage opens up at my original seating positioning. Also walking around the room the sound is pretty consistent to my ears. The mic hears better than I do.  :icon_lol:

I think REW measurments are a good tool for finding major problem areas but to me, trying for some ideal looking response would be a waste of time and drive me nuts, plus eat in to the time I could be listening to music instead.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 13 Aug 2023, 03:29 pm »
You’ve learned a valuable lesson - getting the best measurements does not always mean getting the best sound.

Glady86

« Reply #42 on: 14 Aug 2023, 05:57 pm »
You’ve learned a valuable lesson - getting the best measurements does not always mean getting the best sound.
  I know measurements didn't help me find better positioning for imaging and soundstaging quality. I guess for me "By ear" is the only way for that. I admit, I don't know much about reading all those different graphs and the technical stuff, so maybe it helps others with a better understanding.

Also the free upgrade of throwing a blanket over the tv plus adding my DIY room lenses to the sides of it, gave me an idea of how good these speakers can portray a 3d image in the center sound field. To truly get the best out of them, I'd need to move the tv from the center and add some diffusers and treatments. Or just stick some type room treatment panel in front of the tv when listening to music, maybe get me close to maximizing performance.

Tyson

« Reply #43 on: 14 Aug 2023, 06:27 pm »
My general guidelines are to get the speakers away from the front wall, 3 feet is good, 5 feet is better.  Use absorption on the side walls at the first reflection point, diffusion on the front wall, corner bass traps of you can fit them (but bass traps are less needed with OB speakers and OB subs), remove everything from between the speakers (or use a low and wide rack if that is not possible).  And last but not least cover any windows with a combo of wooden slats and heavy Roman shades.  If you have a TV, get a lightweight absorber panel you can put over it when listening.

After all that, take measurements and use the EQ built in to the subs to EQ out whatever is the biggest peak in the bass.  Only EQ 100hz and below, otherwise the life gets sucked out of the music.  And get OB subs as soon as possible if you don’t have them already.

These are the rules of thumb I’ve come up with after 30 years in the hobby.

Glady86

« Reply #44 on: 14 Aug 2023, 06:54 pm »
My general guidelines are to get the speakers away from the front wall, 3 feet is good, 5 feet is better.  Use absorption on the side walls at the first reflection point, diffusion on the front wall, corner bass traps of you can fit them (but bass traps are less needed with OB speakers and OB subs), remove everything from between the speakers (or use a low and wide rack if not possible).  And last but not least cover any windows with a combo of wooden slats and heavy Roman shades.  If you have a TV, get a lightweight absorber panel you can put over it when listening.

After all that, take measurements and use the EQ built in to the subs to EQ out whatever is the biggest peak in the bass.  Only EQ 100hz and below, otherwise the life gets sucked out of the music.  And get OB subs as soon as possible if you don’t have them already.

These are the rules of thumb I’ve come up with after 30 years in the hobby.

Thanks, the treatments you mentioned are what I had in mind, I do have DIY absorption panels on the sidewall first reflection point and homemade bass traps in the corners, though I'll probably buy more items, especially the diffusers and a panel for front of tv.

The speakers are already over five feet from the front wall. I'm already enjoying the sound quality level I have, But will slowly upgrade the room. The bass is pretty satisfying after tinkering with my set up. So not sure when Ill buy the open baffle subs. Or if i should spend money on the subs before more room treatments.

Glady86

« Reply #45 on: 15 Aug 2023, 05:41 pm »
I bought four  24" × 24" x 2.8" QRD wood diffusers from Amazon. These cost me $300.00 for all four shipped and will arrive by Friday. The cost for similar diffusers made by another more known manufacturer is $855.00. The more expensive ones are deeper though.

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2023, 02:28 am by Glady86 »

CaptainDidactic

« Reply #46 on: 15 Aug 2023, 07:52 pm »

I bought four  24" × 24" x 2.8" QRD wood diffusers from Amazon. These cost me $300.00 for all four shipped and will arrive by Friday. The cost for similar diffusers made by another more known manufacturer is $855.00. The more expensive ones are deeper though.

Any chance you could post a link to the above?

I just wired up my NX-Otica's and am already impressed with the sound. I still have to wire the 2 Double troubles plus No Rez all of them. So, I am kinda excited. I have a large 4'x4' wall art painting, that is highly reflective. It hangs directly above my components between the two speakers and future subs. Would this be a good place to hang diffusers?

Also, I would love to hear the results of your hanging yours!

CaptainDidactic

« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2023, 07:53 pm »
Sorry, I quoted Glady86 and myself at the same time. Still figuring out this system. I will try at some point to post a picture of my NX-Oticas and the subs!

Glady86

« Reply #48 on: 16 Aug 2023, 02:17 am »

Hi, the recommendations I got are to hang them directly behind the speakers. I bought BXI QRD wood diffusers, you can do a search at Amazon. Search for acoustical diffusers. I got this model because its the cheapest option I could find for the QRD type.

I dont think wall art would be any more reflective than a bare wall.

I will update after I install them. Yes post pictures everyone likes pictures.  :D

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2023, 05:10 am by Glady86 »

Glady86

« Reply #49 on: 16 Aug 2023, 04:03 am »
Hi, the recommendations I got are to hang them directly behind the speakers. I bought BXI QRD wood diffusers, you can do a search at Amazon. Search for acoustical diffusers. I got this model because its the cheapest option I could find for the QRD type.

I will update after I install them. Yes post pictures everyone likes pictures.  :D
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2023, 05:10 am by Glady86 »

Glady86

« Reply #50 on: 17 Aug 2023, 08:09 pm »
I learned something new today. The open side of the cabinet facing the wall shouldn't have any type of absorption directly across from it. I have black velvet curtains mainly for darkening the reflections when viewing my projector. I moved the curtains back and it "fleshed out" the midrange. At times I thought the sound was a bit dry and this fixed that.

CaptainDidactic

« Reply #51 on: 17 Aug 2023, 11:58 pm »
Here are my freshly built NX-Oticas plus Double troubles. Still need NoRez. If you look closely, you will see that the face of the Otica's is a dark green. It is Jet Green Metallic from a Porsche.

Glady86

« Reply #52 on: 18 Aug 2023, 02:21 am »
Here are my freshly built NX-Oticas plus Double troubles. Still need NoRez. If you look closely, you will see that the face of the Otica's is a dark green. It is Jet Green Metallic from a Porsche.

They look very good. Did you paint them yourself? Maybe if you feel like it, you could start a new thread with more details of your build and pictures showing off the green. I thought they were all black until I read your post.

Glady86

« Reply #53 on: 18 Aug 2023, 10:35 pm »

The speakers disappeared, seriously I'd recommend diffusers as a must try tweak.

Tyson

« Reply #54 on: 18 Aug 2023, 10:53 pm »

Dude, that is the most clever placement of the Double Trouble subs I have ever seen!  :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #55 on: 18 Aug 2023, 11:19 pm »
Dude, that is the most clever placement of the Double Trouble subs I have ever seen!  :thumb:

Yeah, and make sure you play around with placement and isolation of your subs. A couple of inches forward or rearward can make an audible difference. Similarly, raising the subs off the carpet may help, as well. And if you want to get adventurous, try placing one of the subs close to your sitting position or behind you if your room can accommodate it.

Glady86

« Reply #56 on: 19 Aug 2023, 10:35 am »

The green one is the latest measurement I took with subs on, after the diffusers and some small changes in placement. The new measurements don't look much different. Though sound quality, especially the soundstage and imaging improved significantly. The improvements in soundstage and imaging came from adjusting position of absorption panels, moving the curtains on side wall back out of the way of the open panel on the midrange and tweeter drivers, blanket over the TV, and the front wall diffusion panels. The diffusion panels really shored up the sound staging, it's better than anything I've experienced. Like I said the speakers now disappear and I'm left with just the music.  :D

Guess I'm done posting in this thread and I hope it helps others try to dial in their Nx Oticas.

Had to add one more thing, it's something I never experienced in my room. With some well recorded music, the room sounds huge or like there's no side walls. I really don't understand this phenomenon. Is there a technical explanation for it?
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2023, 09:32 pm by Glady86 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 19 Aug 2023, 09:48 pm »
Be sure to measure only one speaker at a time when taking room response measurements.