Is anyone running ACA in mono blocks with NX Studio?

KTS

Good Afternoon,
I was wanting to dip my toe into the DIY amp building and want to start with something relatively simple and well documented. I recently have been listening to an F3 DIY (built by someone who knew what they were doing) and love the sound. I have very limited knowledge and wanted to reach out to see if anyone is running the ACA in mono block with the NX Studio and glean any opinions about this set up. I am running a Freya+ pre and plan to use the XLR to the ACA in mono, this should allow use of full 12db gain in tube mode from the Freya.

Thank you, Kelly

NoahH

Re: Is anyone running ACA in mono blocks with NX Studio?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2023, 05:32 pm »
I have run an ACA in stereo with the LGK predecessors in a system I made for my son.

The ACA is not great. I have heard that mono is better on it, but I would definitely consider it a learning tool rather than a hifi amp.

KTS

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2023, 06:36 pm »
I have run an ACA in stereo with the LGK predecessors in a system I made for my son.

The ACA is not great. I have heard that mono is better on it, but I would definitely consider it a learning tool rather than a hifi amp.

Thank you for the insight, much appreciated.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2023, 04:43 pm »
I have to agree with Noah. I built the ACAs as monoblocks. They are a nice little amps and a fun project.  They were fine on my LGK 1.0s but definitely lacking on a pair of X-LS Encores. So they wouldn't come close to presenting the NX-Studios anywhere close to their potential.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2023, 07:12 pm »
Any idea of what the NX Studio looks like?

The ACA is a fantastic amplifier. Even when you do not consider its very inexpensive entry point. I think even better in bridged mono. But it does have a highish output impedance, about 1.6Ω, similar to an SE 300B with (for them) a lowish output impedance. It does have 2x the power.

dave

KTS

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2023, 03:17 am »
I have to agree with Noah. I built the ACAs as monoblocks. They are a nice little amps and a fun project.  They were fine on my LGK 1.0s but definitely lacking on a pair of X-LS Encores. So they wouldn't come close to presenting the NX-Studios anywhere close to their potential.

Do you have a suggestion on a kit that could be used with the Studio’s and show their potential?

KTS

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2023, 03:19 am »
Any idea of what the NX Studio looks like?

The ACA is a fantastic amplifier. Even when you do not consider its very inexpensive entry point. I think even better in bridged mono. But it does have a highish output impedance, about 1.6Ω, similar to an SE 300B with (for them) a lowish output impedance. It does have 2x the power.

dave

I am not sure if you wanted to see an image, but here are the ones I built.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2023, 03:30 am »

Do you have a suggestion on a kit that could be used with the Studio’s and show their potential?

I do.  I've heard almost all the Pass First Watt designs and IMO the Aleph J is the best currently available - https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/kits/products/aleph-j-mosfet-and-jfet-kit

mkrawcz

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2023, 10:27 am »
I agree on the Aleph J. Plus it can be configured with XLR.

KTS

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2023, 12:11 pm »
I do.  I've heard almost all the Pass First Watt designs and IMO the Aleph J is the best currently available - https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/kits/products/aleph-j-mosfet-and-jfet-kit

Thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2023, 05:41 pm »
The ACA (and ACA mini) are Nelson’s least expensive amplifiers. There many other builds out there for his amps. I’d suggest they are all good.

The ACA provides a really good, really cheap, fully populed kit. An easy place to start.

Moving upstream usually means more work sourcing parts and putting it together. Typically an order of magnitude more difficult. But worth it if you can do it. M2, and F2J are popular.

And many others, including derivatives, Zen Mod a great contibutor. All over diyAudio.

dave

KTS

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2023, 07:25 pm »
The ACA (and ACA mini) are Nelson’s least expensive amplifiers. There many other builds out there for his amps. I’d suggest they are all good.

The ACA provides a really good, really cheap, fully populed kit. An easy place to start.

Moving upstream usually means more work sourcing parts and putting it together. Typically an order of magnitude more difficult. But worth it if you can do it. M2, and F2J are popular.

And many others, including derivatives, Zen Mod a great contibutor. All over diyAudio.

dave

I appreciate the input, I am really leaning towards the ACA to start, but will start sourcing the parts for the Aleph J and build it in the future. I do have a couple of other setups in the house and ACA’s will still be used.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2023, 11:20 pm »
I’ve run ACAs with the shiit preamp and they are great. Both with my XStatiks and with my tekton pendragons.

KTS

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2023, 11:35 pm »
I’ve run ACAs with the shiit preamp and they are great. Both with my XStatiks and with my tekton pendragons.

Much appreciated, are you using XLR or RCA?

KTS

« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2023, 02:10 am »

I just finished building the Aleph J and have been listening to it for a few hours, I am really enjoying the sound so far!! Thank you for the recommendation Tyson. It was a fun first build, lots of documentation and most importantly help and moral support from an excellent builder. It works well with the NX Studio’s.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2023, 02:17 am »

I just finished building the Aleph J and have been listening to it for a few hours, I am really enjoying the sound so far!! Thank you for the recommendation Tyson. It was a fun first build, lots of documentation and most importantly help and moral support from an excellent builder. It works well with the NX Studio’s.

Awesome man, glad you are enjoying it :thumb: