Polk S6 Active Speakers at 80% Off!

witchdoctor

Polk S6 Active Speakers at 80% Off!
« on: 16 Feb 2019, 07:34 pm »
I have been upgrading my home to whole house audio via the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem. I wanted a speaker for the bedroom so thought I would checkout the Polk Omni S6. All Omni components are wireless and part of the Playfi ecosystem. MSRP is $349 and I scored a brand new one for $75!
The speaker has two 4 inch drivers and two .75 inch tweeters and can extend down to 70 hz.
The first thing that was impressive was the unboxing experience. After you open the box and remove the top styrofoam packing the package is wrapped in a felt bag with a sticker of a heart on the opening, nice attention to detail. Then the manual and instructions are in a case kind of like a cardboard CD case. When you pull them out the first card you see has a huge STOP sign and then you read that you are now part of the Polk family and you have access to the free "concierge" service and if you need help setting up your speaker they give you a number to call and the times they are open. I have never seen that before in any other product I purchased. Of all the PlayFi products I have purchased this one almost sets itself up. Found the wifi even before I hit the setup button in the back, it updated the firmware in about 20 minutes and then after I named the speaker Bedroom it showed up in the app ready for action. The first track I fired up was Norah Jones "Don't Know Why" in 24/192 from Quboz and WOW! I did not expect this level of transparency and soundstage from a one box speaker. I listened to redbook tracks next and again, very nice. I'll bet if I pair oit with another one it will sound even better.
No way you can get this SQ from separates for up to $500. It would easily blow most bluetooth speakers out of the water.
Here is an online review for more info. Keep in mind the Play-Fi software is much better now as more and more updates have been released:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/12/featured-review-polk-omni-s6-wi-fi-play-fi-speaker.html

witchdoctor

Re: Polk S6 Active Speakers at 80% Off!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2019, 03:49 pm »
I have had this speaker breaking in for about a month. I was thinking I would need a pair in my home gym. I placed one under the flat screen TV on a stand where you would normally place a soundbar using the headphone out of the TV into the 3.5mm aux port in the speaker. This setup allows me to use the speaker to watch TV and then use the Play-Fi app to stream music. The speaker absolutely FILLS the room, I will not be needing another. The two four inch drivers sound great, I am very impressed by Polk (my first Polk speaker). I'll be getting another one for the garage.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2019, 07:02 pm »
A year ago it was reported that there is a 5-7 second gap between songs. Has this been addressed or is there still a gap between songs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3242I181DK10T/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B013UCJGZ4

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2019, 09:04 pm »
A year ago it was reported that there is a 5-7 second gap between songs. Has this been addressed or is there still a gap between songs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3242I181DK10T/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B013UCJGZ4

This has been addressed, no issues with any gaps between songs.  :D

Archguy

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2019, 10:23 pm »
One of the reviews says: "I have approx 14k purchased songs on Amazon to stream."

How much of an investment is that, I wonder?

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2019, 10:34 pm »
One of the reviews says: "I have approx 14k purchased songs on Amazon to stream."

How much of an investment is that, I wonder?

The price of an amazon prime membership

Archguy

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2019, 10:50 pm »
Aha. Now it all makes sense. It's been years since I had a prime membership.

He had to say 'purchased'....

annamarykahn

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2019, 03:36 pm »
purchased a couple of these ...

unfortunately, they're "boomy" and the highs are recessed ... might be good for movies, but not for music ... for music, i recommend the jam symphony ... i've purchased 6 or 8 quite some time ago ... link from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Symphony-Intercom-Speakers-Smartphone-HX-W14901/dp/B01HIS5QIM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=JAM+Symphony&qid=1566660710&s=gateway&sr=8-2 for $74.99 now ...

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2019, 09:16 pm »
purchased a couple of these ...

unfortunately, they're "boomy" and the highs are recessed ... might be good for movies, but not for music ... for music, i recommend the jam symphony ... i've purchased 6 or 8 quite some time ago ... link from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Symphony-Intercom-Speakers-Smartphone-HX-W14901/dp/B01HIS5QIM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=JAM+Symphony&qid=1566660710&s=gateway&sr=8-2 for $74.99 now ...

Hmmm, I have one in the bedroom, one on the patio and one in the gym and I actually like the fact that I can just use one speaker and fill a room. Never had an issue with boom. Have you paired them?

annamarykahn

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2019, 04:02 am »
yeah, i have a couple so i also paired them as well... yes they can fill a room, but they still didn't sound good ... i suppose, it is possible, that i got a couple bad ones ... one maybe, but two, unless they produced a bad batch which shouldn't be sold anyways ... and if so, aren't they doing any quality control, doing some "spot checks"?

maybe boomy wasn't a good adjective, the bass is too much & the highs are not as prominent as they should be ... in any case, when i equalized the sound they did improve substantially, but if that needs to be done, then they weren't designed/engineered properly ... i even brought them to work and another colleague agreed with my assessment ... :-(

the jam symphony, on the other hand, didn't need any equalizing as they sounded good straight out of the box and there isn't any significant difference in price at this time ... i think my first jam symphony was $50, if i remember correctly ... no the jams aren't perfect but i could listen to them for extended periods, whereas the polks i couldn't, they were that "unpleasant"

i think that i'll maybe bring the polks & jams back to work for their opinion/comparison between them