Super Mini's up and playing over here.

magic44ken

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here. New videos on page 2.
« Reply #180 on: 11 Feb 2020, 11:38 pm »
The Super mini's are set up in my house and I am at the office. So I don't have a pair here to measure I think it was 16" tall and 6.25" wide.

Jay is working on the base and posted something on the height a few posts up.

These will work fine in a small room so long as you can pull them at least three feet out from the front wall.

Is that 3 feet starts from the front baffle to the front wall? What about the side wall?

Danny, what is big sound difference between the Super Mini and NX-OTICA MTM monitor?

Also do you have any plan to add a woofer to Super Mini ad 3-way to make a mini tower without using sub?

mkane

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here.
« Reply #181 on: 11 Feb 2020, 11:47 pm »
 Not so critical. Were 6' to the front and 2'7" to side wall

Danny Richie

« Reply #182 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:00 am »
Is that 3 feet starts from the front baffle to the front wall? What about the side wall?

Three feet from the baffle to the wall, but more is always better.

Danny, what is big sound difference between the Super Mini and NX-OTICA MTM monitor?

The Super Mini is not available, is a little faster and more articulate. 

The NX-Otica MTM is available, plays down lower, has more body and weight.

And they sound more alike than different.

Also do you have any plan to add a woofer to Super Mini ad 3-way to make a mini tower without using sub?

Yes, but it all hinges on getting more Neo 10's made. 

jmpsmash

« Reply #183 on: 13 Feb 2020, 06:09 am »

Any updates on that?

Badd99

« Reply #184 on: 13 Feb 2020, 09:31 am »
Three feet from the baffle to the wall, but more is always better.

The Super Mini is not available, is a little faster and more articulate. 

The NX-Otica MTM is available, plays down lower, has more body and weight.

And they sound more alike than different.

Danny - Please

1 - Can you give an idea on potential cost of the super mini with a bass stand like you have in your videos? Would this still benefit from triple OB subs as well?

2- Can you compare the super mini to the NX-octica....should I wait for the super mini or not?

Danny Richie

« Reply #185 on: 14 Feb 2020, 04:13 am »
Danny - Please

1 - Can you give an idea on potential cost of the super mini with a bass stand like you have in your videos? Would this still benefit from triple OB subs as well?

2- Can you compare the super mini to the NX-octica....should I wait for the super mini or not?

Guys, the models using the Neo 10's are currently not available.

jmpsmash

« Reply #186 on: 14 Feb 2020, 04:47 am »
someone posted an ad in diyaudio for some "new" Neo10, he even attached the photo and measurements. Any ideas what they are? Is that what you are working on Danny?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-and-exotics/349609-revised-neo10-planar.html

Badd99

« Reply #187 on: 14 Feb 2020, 05:19 am »

Guys, the models using the Neo 10's are currently not available.

Danny, I know this but I am trying to decide to wait or not. I appreciate your input.

jn316

« Reply #188 on: 14 Feb 2020, 05:05 pm »
I kind of depends on what you value the most in the sound you like to hear, but I think Tyson, Danny and others who have heard both would say to go with the NX-Oticas and don't look back. What is consistently said is that the NX-Otica Tower is richer, has more weight, in the lower mid-bass area than both the MTM version of the NX-Otica and the Super Mini. This is with all three having servo subs to cover the bottom end. Now when Danny comes up with a solution for the new bass module for the Super Mini, that perception might change. Honestly, hearing how much Ron and his brother loved the NX-Tremes (even in some ways over the Line Force!), I think you are very safe in going with the NX-Otica Tower as it has very good DNA. If you can afford it, and have the room, go for the NX-Tremes.
Gary

Badd99

« Reply #189 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:47 pm »
I kind of depends on what you value the most in the sound you like to hear, but I think Tyson, Danny and others who have heard both would say to go with the NX-Oticas and don't look back. What is consistently said is that the NX-Otica Tower is richer, has more weight, in the lower mid-bass area than both the MTM version of the NX-Otica and the Super Mini. This is with all three having servo subs to cover the bottom end. Now when Danny comes up with a solution for the new bass module for the Super Mini, that perception might change. Honestly, hearing how much Ron and his brother loved the NX-Tremes (even in some ways over the Line Force!), I think you are very safe in going with the NX-Otica Tower as it has very good DNA. If you can afford it, and have the room, go for the NX-Tremes.
Gary

Thanks for the follow up. I guess I now know what I'm building 😎

The money isn't the problem I would happy build the extremes but man my room is not tall enough 😭

Short 7 foot wall basement is unfortunate. I have the room filled with diffusion and bass absorption and sounds amazing but darn the height!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #190 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:01 pm »

The money isn't the problem I would happy build the extremes but man my room is not tall enough 😭

Short 7 foot wall basement is unfortunate. I have the room filled with diffusion and bass absorption and sounds amazing but darn the height!

The NX-Ottica towers with servo subs is going to sound better than the Super Mini anyway.  That's a killer combo. 

jn316

« Reply #191 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:18 pm »

I'm in the same situation...finished basement with low ceiling. Plus, the steps down turn right into my left speaker placement. Having a 7' speaker right there, two feet from the landing, would look really weird. My next house is going to have a 9' basement pour!

Badd99

« Reply #192 on: 16 Feb 2020, 02:01 am »
The NX-Ottica towers with servo subs is going to sound better than the Super Mini anyway.  That's a killer combo.

Thanks for the comment I appreciate it. Going to build it with triple servo subs here in about a month! My front end is top end so I'm really excited what these will do. Will be replacing a very nice jbl synthesis and velodyne dd15 sub. Now I will have a backup system 😁

Do you think it's worth the copper cap upgrades for the oticas? They are not offered as add ons on his site but I figured I would call and have a package with them put together for me.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #193 on: 16 Feb 2020, 02:10 am »
If you have a top flight front end system, then the copper cap upgrade is absolutely worth it.

Re: the JBL's, I'll have to warn you that the NX-Ottica is going to present sound in a way that is VERY different.  The Synthesis is really punchy and pushes sound toward you, while the NX-Ottica is going to have a lot more going on behind the speakers with a super deep soundstage. 

Have you heard really good OB speakers before?  If so, then you know what to expect. 

Nick77

« Reply #194 on: 16 Feb 2020, 02:44 pm »

Danny is there any truth to a new and improved BG Neo10 as this thread suggests? https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-and-exotics/349609-revised-neo10-planar.html#post6084907

Are you still open to sourcing from BG?

Captainhemo

« Reply #195 on: 16 Feb 2020, 05:48 pm »
Thanks for the comment I appreciate it. Going to build it with triple servo subs here in about a month! My front end is top end so I'm really excited what these will do. Will be replacing a very nice jbl synthesis and velodyne dd15 sub. Now I will have a backup system 😁

Do you think it's worth the copper cap upgrades for the oticas? They are not offered as add ons on his site but I figured I would call and have a package with them put together for me.

Yes to the copper caps.   I recenlty swapped out the  Soniccap high pass cap/ Miflex bypass cap  with  one of the new  Copper caps bypassed with the same Miflex bypass caps on my Super 7's.  Took a while to come around  but big step up in clarit  and resolution .  . 
If you  are going to go that  far, I'd look at upgrading the wire  as well

jay

Badd99

« Reply #196 on: 17 Feb 2020, 01:42 am »
Yes to the copper caps.   I recenlty swapped out the  Soniccap high pass cap/ Miflex bypass cap  with  one of the new  Copper caps bypassed with the same Miflex bypass caps on my Super 7's.  Took a while to come around  but big step up in clarit  and resolution .  . 
If you  are going to go that  far, I'd look at upgrading the wire  as well

jay

Thanks Jay, I was already going to be using some 7N occ wire :)

How long did burn in take for your copper caps?

Captainhemo

« Reply #197 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:45 am »
I'd give them a good    300-400 hrs,  they may  even  not be totally stable at that point but   changes are subtle after  that  point.    The  changes early are   kind of wierd,  very  noticable IMHO. 
You could  hear the potential inthem right away they  were    pretty grainy

jay

magic44ken

« Reply #198 on: 21 Feb 2020, 06:06 am »
Thanks Danny for the reply. Do you have plan to create a center speaker? If not, what are some of features I should be looking for to a matching center speaker?

Danny Richie

« Reply #199 on: 23 Feb 2020, 09:37 pm »
Thanks Danny for the reply. Do you have plan to create a center speaker? If not, what are some of features I should be looking for to a matching center speaker?

Right now I am just trying to solve the driver availability issues to be able to re-release what I have already designed.