Super Mini's up and playing over here.

jmpsmash

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here.
« Reply #160 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:21 am »
Other subs will work in a pinch but they won't blend properly. That's what I did for six months while I saved up for the subs when I got my first OB monitor kit. You'll want the OB servo subs.

that's what I am afraid of.  :lol: :lol:

I spent a fair amount of time and energy designing and building the cabinets. so I want to enjoy them longer before moving on. maybe a 6 months+ after if I get the S7 monitor / super mini.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #161 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:24 am »
Yes. I currently have a pair of JBL 15" woofer in large cabinets that I initially plan to pair them with. but if they end up too slow, then I will have to get the OB servo subs.

Ah gotcha.  I rather like the JBL woofers, a friend of mine uses a 12" pair in a sealed box with a ribbon tweeter in a waveguide from Beyma - really excellent sound. 

I'd say try it!  It if works out, then great.  If not, then the OB subs will definitely work.

emailtim

« Reply #162 on: 15 Jan 2020, 07:11 pm »
Yes, flat packs will be available for the  4 x M165's.  Danny  has a pack  , he's just been busy and hasn't  had time to   set it up.

Servo 8's are not in  stock  right  now, I think  Danny  is working on a  new order / run of them.

jay

Hi Jay,

Very cool cabinet design. 

What is the intended/anticipated frequency range for the 4 - M165's in this cabinet ?

TIA

Captainhemo

« Reply #163 on: 15 Jan 2020, 07:22 pm »
Hi Jay,

Very cool cabinet design. 

What is the intended/anticipated frequency range for the 4 - M165's in this cabinet ?

TIA

200hz and down  to the  70-40ish range depending on room. Very similar to the  NX-Otica   4 lower  M165/M165X's  but in a slimmer  cabinet to better match  Super Mini/Wedgie cabinets

jay

mkane

« Reply #164 on: 15 Jan 2020, 07:30 pm »
 Just swapped em' out in place of Wedgies.

jmpsmash

« Reply #165 on: 15 Jan 2020, 08:06 pm »
I own the Super 7 and got to extensively demo the Super Mini a couple weeks ago.  See the writeup here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167136.0

Did a bunch of reading and catching up...

So the planar lineup for the top half of the speaker is:

Super Mini - low $1k

... a small 15% jump:

Super 7 Monitor - almost $3k

.... a HUGE jump:

Line Force - $10k+

I wonder if there can be something in between the S7 Monitor and Line Force. A shorter line array w/ 4 Neo10 + 8 Neo3, vertically side-by-side like the Line Force, but in a short baffle. .... at around mid $4k? Danny?  :green:

DeeJayBump

Re: Super Mini's/Wedgie 4x165 Bases
« Reply #166 on: 15 Jan 2020, 09:20 pm »

200hz and down  to the  70-40ish range depending on room. Very similar to the  NX-Otica   4 lower  M165/M165X's  but in a slimmer  cabinet to better match  Super Mini/Wedgie cabinets

jay

Jay

When will the flat-packs for the 4x165 bases be available? Need some for my about to be complete Wedgies.

Thanks

-Scott

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #167 on: 15 Jan 2020, 09:31 pm »
The Super Mini's look good even without paint to me.

Here is the pair of DSP active crossover versions Jay and I did for CAF2018:

And for AXPONA2019:

Captainhemo

« Reply #168 on: 16 Jan 2020, 01:28 am »
The Super Mini's look good even without paint to me.

Here is the pair of DSP active crossover versions Jay and I did for CAF2018:

And for AXPONA2019:

Let's hope the next  show  is even better  buddy   :thumb:

Scott,  Danny  has a pair ,  as soon as he's got time he'll  build them   up and then   get  some measurements.. wanna make sure we've got them right before   sending   any out.

jay

jmpsmash

« Reply #169 on: 18 Jan 2020, 11:21 pm »
Are the plans for the Super Mini available? I managed to score 2 pairs of Neo10's and I am thinking of building something similar but with 2x Neo10 on each side in MTM config. Like Super Mini on steriods.  :weights: I'd like to know the dimensions of the front and side and the angle for the side wing.

Ryan0348

« Reply #170 on: 19 Jan 2020, 02:09 am »
Im pretty sure using them in a mtm configeration will cause vertical  or horizontal dispersion problems. Hit up danny he will tell you. Gr research. I have the super minis and beside the super 7 or line force line array there are the best use of neo 10 neo 3.

Ryan0348

« Reply #171 on: 19 Jan 2020, 02:13 am »
The wave guide around the neo 3 almost has to be cut with cnc router. The neo 10 mid not so much it could be routered with hand router and proper bevel bit.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #172 on: 19 Jan 2020, 03:00 am »
I believe I asked Danny about a neo 10, vertical, D’apolito years ago and I thought he said it would have comb filtering issues. I would think he would have gone that way for the mini for the advantages it offers if it would work, but you don’t see that. You do see something similar with the Serenity 7 though.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2020, 06:34 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

jmpsmash

« Reply #173 on: 19 Jan 2020, 03:21 am »
It could also be a cost issue to have just one Neo10/3. As economics is always a concern in engineering.

I will consider trying both MTM and TMM too.

Ryan0348

« Reply #174 on: 19 Jan 2020, 04:52 am »
The super doest have the comb filtering problems cause its as wide as it is tall with the multiple neo 10s. So acts more as a point source. If you do try mtm you might try blocking the 2 outside rows so it will act more like a line source. You can try the blocking off random holes on the neo 10 to get rid of some comb filtering. Theres a few post on DIY audio.

Ryan0348

« Reply #175 on: 19 Jan 2020, 04:53 am »
Super 7 that is.

Captainhemo

« Reply #176 on: 19 Jan 2020, 08:48 pm »
Unless you're going to bi-amp, I think you're going to run into an  impedence mismatch.

The wing is 10 degrees

And, las mentioned,   the waveguide is tricky...   I bet  we did 4 or 5 different designs  with  multiple  radius's  on each  to get it right for the  new  Super 7 and  Super Mini

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #177 on: 22 Jan 2020, 02:27 pm »
An MTM on its side would cause some cancellation patterns in the horizontal off axis from the Neo 10's cancelling each other out, and the Neo 3 wouldn't be able to play down low enough to fill the gap (around 1kHz).

It would also cause an impedance mis-match.

And then where would you put the side wing to control front to back wave separation? You can't put on that is equal on each side or it could cause a cavity resonance issue.

jmpsmash

« Reply #178 on: 22 Jan 2020, 05:35 pm »
An MTM on its side would cause some cancellation patterns in the horizontal off axis from the Neo 10's cancelling each other out, and the Neo 3 wouldn't be able to play down low enough to fill the gap (around 1kHz).

It would also cause an impedance mis-match.

And then where would you put the side wing to control front to back wave separation? You can't put on that is equal on each side or it could cause a cavity resonance issue.

apologies as I wasn't clear. I meant, to have one Neo10, vertically, above and below a Neo3. The typical MTM arrangement. It will be active DSP crossover and biamped (well, triamped with whatever woofer they will get paired with).

Danny Richie

« Reply #179 on: 25 Jan 2020, 01:41 pm »
apologies as I wasn't clear. I meant, to have one Neo10, vertically, above and below a Neo3. The typical MTM arrangement. It will be active DSP crossover and biamped (well, triamped with whatever woofer they will get paired with).

If I ever get the Neo 10 issues ironed out then I'll try and have some 16 ohm diaphragm versions made so that I can passively build that version and keep a 6 to 8 ohm load.