anyone use the i84 with Ob speakers.

RawB8figure

anyone use the i84 with Ob speakers.
« on: 14 Jul 2007, 03:15 am »
anyone use the i84 with Ob speakers. I'am looking to pair this amp with Silver Iris's

Zero

Re: anyone use the i84 with Ob speakers.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2007, 03:33 am »
RawB8figure -  While I never used the i84 on an open-baffle speaker (haven't even experienced an OB design to be honest with you)  - I did have the chance to use it with a (relatively inefficient) set of speakers making use of Adire Audio's (RIP) 4.5 inch drivers in a full-range configuration. Although it was a slimline cab, all the attributes that I found so attractive with the i84 (exceptional bass control and punch, blossomed mid-range without being over-done, with a ever so slightly rolled off high end) was still there in spades.

Audiovista

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2007, 06:14 pm »
I too never heard OB speakers. I guess I'll have to make one as I don't know anybody nearby who has them.

On a similar topic - I'll try to compile a list of speakers that I heard the amplifier with or that customers are using and post it here. The amp/speaker synergy seems to be one of the highest concerns for a prospective customer. Quite understandable. Luckilly, well damped PP tube amp is much less picky than, let's say, an SE amplifier or any amp without negative feedback.

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2007, 07:04 pm »
I've been hunting for a tube amp for my Si's, and would think the i84 would be stellar based on what i've read.    i'm married to my TVC preamp & am looking for an amp w/o volume control though.

go for it.     

and for those who haven't experienced OB, shame on you...     :nono:   

:dance:

Audiovista

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2007, 08:55 pm »
On one of the NY Audio Raves we tried the i84 with a TVC and the sparkle was lost. Highs were foggy and somewhat attenuated. We did not have a chance to experiment a lot, so I don't know what exactly caused it.  But we had a CD Player with tube output - my guess is that it had output impedance in kiloohms and the TVC was actually overloading the player. Removing the TVC restored the sound.