Is it possible to use a DAC with an AV Receiver ?

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
Is it possible to use a DAC with an AV Receiver ?
« on: 13 Feb 2019, 06:20 pm »
Just wondering If it was possible to hookup to a AV Receiver like my Yamaha RX V-757. I was thinking of connecting a Klipsch Gate like the one the witchdoctor suggested. I'm just not sure how to incorporate it into my AV system.

Phil A

Re: Is it possible to use a DAC with an AV Receiver ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2019, 06:22 pm »
It's not a problem.  I have a seldom used system upstairs that includes a DAC with an old Marantz receiver.  The DACs analog outs will go into an analog input on the receiver and I have the receiver's audio mode set to direct so that the decoding from the DAC does not get hindered by the DSP in the receiver.

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2019, 07:42 pm »
Incorporating it into the system I guess depends on where the DAC is in the order. Sat I want to run a Flash drive through my CD player and use it through the DAC. But I also want to use that DAC for my streaming audio as well. It gets kind of complicated.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2019, 07:53 pm »
Just wondering If it was possible to hookup to a AV Receiver like my Yamaha RX V-757. I was thinking of connecting a Klipsch Gate like the one the witchdoctor suggested. I'm just not sure how to incorporate it into my AV system.

Hey Bsmooth, I have a Gate connected to my HT processor, NP. You need to get a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter or interconnect. Just plug the 3.5 mm into the Gate output and the RCA end into one of your receiver analog inputs. Here is a link to the type of cable you need:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550087532&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5+mm+to+rca+cable

or an adapter if you want to use cables you already have:

https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-LEMENG-2-Pack-Adapter-Splitter/dp/B018V7GTNK/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1550087595&sr=8-17&keywords=3.5+mm+to+rca+adapter

Let me know if you have questions.

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2019, 07:58 pm »
BTW, order two cables if you want to plug a device into the Gate input. For example I connected my Sony Blue ray player RCA outs to the gate inputs using that same cable.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2019, 10:47 pm »
It's a little easier with a desktop type DAC with both SPDIF (rca) and USB inputs.  Then you can use a regular digital rca from the CD player and a USB cable from the streaming device.  There's a zillion for very cheap, you could look for the same chipset as the Gate if you like.  Personally I'd go with XMOS for the USB and the ESS 9038 series dac chip, but there are lots of great DACs for way cheap these days.