New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

Broncosaurs

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #80 on: 7 Feb 2019, 06:38 pm »
Is the front baffle or the flat packs and speaker/xover kits available?  What would be needed to cross over to the two 165s?

Danny Richie

« Reply #81 on: 7 Feb 2019, 07:38 pm »
Is the front baffle or the flat packs and speaker/xover kits available?  What would be needed to cross over to the two 165s?

I will be designing a floor standing version with a pair of the M-165 woofers below.

And yes the front baffle is going to be included in the kit.

Captainhemo

« Reply #82 on: 8 Feb 2019, 06:58 pm »
Here, I added enough length to the original model to  position the tweeter center at  37.5" then  spaced a couple M165's below the NQ  at the same spacing as the  Otica's.  After radius's, there's enough room on the rear for a .5" brace  between the  drivers, could space them a bit more  for a  .75"  brace.

jay

nickd

« Reply #83 on: 8 Feb 2019, 10:31 pm »
Danny,
It would be nice to hear your thoughts on this.
I was thinking of running the small version of this monitor with servo subs. Filtering the main amp at 100hz for mid range clarity and full range bass. The pair m165’s in the floor stander still need a sub in my opinion even though they add a bit of mid bass dynamic.

Are large crossover parts in the “three way”passive tower worth the small improvements to mid bass the tower may have? Or will one 6” driver running from 100hz to 2khz with out a big cap in line be preferred?
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2019, 02:44 am by nickd »

Captainhemo

« Reply #84 on: 8 Feb 2019, 11:50 pm »
Goofed on that model,   it would be a sealaed cabinet  so the layout would be more like this to give the M165's  the necessary  air space.

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #85 on: 9 Feb 2019, 02:17 am »
Danny,
It would be nice to hear your thoughts on this.
I was thinking shouting running the small version of this monitor with servo subs. Filtering the main amp at 100hz for mid range clarity and full range bass. The pair m165’s in the floor stander still need a sub in my opinion even though the add a bit of mid bass dynamic.

Are large crossover parts in the “three way”passive tower worth the small improvements to mid bass the tower may have? Or will one 6” driver running from 100hz to 2khz with out a big cap in line be preferred?

A three way version has been in the plans all along. And it will have several advantages. I'll build a pair out and let everyone know what I think.

Danny Richie

« Reply #86 on: 18 Feb 2019, 12:35 am »
I finalized the design work on these today. The attention to detail in the wave guide design really paid off. And the network turned out very simple.

Here is the crossover response showing each driver and the sum.

And just the on axis response.

And since these could be mounted high above a console, here is the response on tweeter axis and on woofer axis. It is pretty flat both ways.

\

And the spectral decay is about as clean as any speaker I've ever measured. These driver settle super fast and clean.

Pretty even horizontal off axis responses too.

And the vertical off axis is very consistent too. For playback in a listening room they might like a slight tilt.

And they have an easy to drive impedance load.

Now time to finish assembly on the first two pairs.

CurtisIIX

« Reply #87 on: 18 Feb 2019, 02:35 am »
Nice work on these Danny. I am definitely considering these for my small audio room.

Did you design in the full 6dB baffle step compensation? Or did you back off the baffle step slightly considering that these speakers may be close to a wall or on a console?

-Curtis

maty

« Reply #88 on: 18 Feb 2019, 08:23 am »
GR New Studio Monitor

KEF Q100, original without more mass (over the furniture) like mine. Front bass-reflex.

Very good work!

Broncosaurs

« Reply #89 on: 19 Feb 2019, 09:13 pm »
The decay looks great.  This pair will roll over to the dual 165s in the 200hz range or will you try to go lower?   I vote for both a version with the monitor separate from the two 165s and can sit on top and one with both as one speaker.   I would like to start with them separate at first.  Also could the monitor be turned 90*  for a center if the neo wave guide and OB channel was rotated?  Would two 130s with the neo in the middle have the same voicing as the neo 165?   This would be some what smaller to fit below a TV.

Danny Richie

« Reply #90 on: 19 Feb 2019, 10:17 pm »
The decay looks great.  This pair will roll over to the dual 165s in the 200hz range or will you try to go lower?

It can cross lower.

I vote for both a version with the monitor separate from the two 165s and can sit on top and one with both as one speaker.

I can make that happen. I kind of like the idea of using an inline passive filter prior to amplification to keep large caps out of the signal path. This would make it real easy to cross them over to some M-165's below and not compromise the mid-range at all.

I would like to start with them separate at first.  Also could the monitor be turned 90*  for a center if the neo wave guide and OB channel was rotated?

No.

Would two 130s with the neo in the middle have the same voicing as the neo 165?

This isn't crossing to a standard M-165. It uses the new M165NQ. This is a pretty special driver in many ways.

This would be some what smaller to fit below a TV.

For home theater applications a N3S would still match well as a center channel.

Broncosaurs

« Reply #91 on: 21 Feb 2019, 07:30 pm »
I like the inline filter before the amp going to the monitor.  Would this be a 6db single cap filter? 
Any thoughts on using a 3D printed epoxy filled front and rear wave guide to mount the Neo?  I was playing around with solidworks doing this.  Is the wave guide some natural log curve?

Danny Richie

« Reply #92 on: 21 Feb 2019, 10:43 pm »
I like the inline filter before the amp going to the monitor.  Would this be a 6db single cap filter? 

Yes, but there is also a 6bd natural slope. So the two combined will be a 12db per octave slope.

Any thoughts on using a 3D printed epoxy filled front and rear wave guide to mount the Neo?  I was playing around with solidworks doing this.  Is the wave guide some natural log curve?

I had someone try that. It takes way too many hours to make them at any high resolution setting. It is good for prototyping, but not production.

Danny Richie

« Reply #93 on: 22 Feb 2019, 06:30 pm »
Okay, I have to get a decent camera and get some pictures of these.

I have a pair of these up and playing and they sound incredible. And I am not just saying that to try and sell product or because I am an un-objective proud father. These things really sound special.

They just added another layer to the sound stage that I typically only get with an open baffle design.

Grinning from ear to ear.... :thumb:

saygrr

« Reply #94 on: 22 Feb 2019, 06:58 pm »
Looking forward to the pictures.

Questions. Height? Weight? Bandwidth? Efficiency?

Is this a complete cabinet? No open baffle at all or is the planar tweeter still open baffle?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #95 on: 22 Feb 2019, 08:14 pm »
Looking forward to the pictures.

Questions. Height? Weight? Bandwidth? Efficiency?

Is this a complete cabinet? No open baffle at all or is the planar tweeter still open baffle?

Thanks

I'll go buy a new camera this weekend.

Height is 18" and depth is 15.5". I haven't weighed one yet, but they are heavy.

The measurements posted above tell a lot.

Only the tweeter is in open baffle. It is open to the top only actually. And it worked out even better than I expected it to.

saygrr

« Reply #96 on: 22 Feb 2019, 08:27 pm »
Thanks Danny. Looking forward to the photos this weekend or next week.

Captainhemo

« Reply #97 on: 23 Feb 2019, 03:49 pm »
I'll go buy a new camera this weekend.

Height is 18" and depth is 15.5". I haven't weighed one yet, but they are heavy.

The measurements posted above tell a lot.

Only the tweeter is in open baffle. It is open to the top only actually. And it worked out even better than I expected it to.

All good  news  :)
Did that  little  dado under  the tweeter make things  a bit  easier  ?

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #98 on: 23 Feb 2019, 04:12 pm »
All good  news  :)
Did that  little  dado under  the tweeter make things  a bit  easier  ?

jay

Yes.

Broncosaurs

« Reply #99 on: 25 Feb 2019, 12:11 am »
I am all in.  PM me and I will send money.  1 Pr of the monitors and a pair of the pair of the dual 165s.  Again keeping the monitors separate form the 165s.  Monitor front baffle or a complete flat pack.  Same with the 165s.  Also add the N3S to the order.